• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Did BOTW overdo things?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
By this i mean did they overdo it on the inclusion of somethings?

For me the 2 most overdone things that were unnecessary had to be the armor, their effects and Korok Seeds.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
If you mean pointless additions then, yes...there were a lot of gameplay elements that seemed to exist because "Skyrim did it or it's an Open World trope" without any real thought behind it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
You could say it overdid some things but you could also say it underdid things making those other things which should ordinarily and rightly be background distractions at the forefront.

There were hundreds of Korok seeds but that wouldn't have mattered if there was actually more good content as well. Its ok to have lots of distraction but if that is at the sacrifice of time spent on storytelling, lore, designing new enemies etc... then it's not good. That's quantity over quality.

I don't think there was too many weapons and armour if they wanted to go that route of having lots. Borderlands has millions of different guns and armour yet none of it breaks after a few shots and the game is progressively harder as you progress. Getting a strange new gun can be exciting in that game but in BoTW getting a nice new weapon is not exciting because you know it will soon be broken. The Borderlands route is what BoTW should have taken if it wanted to go that way.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I didn't really think so. Everything in the game ranged from good to amazing for me. I didn't feel that way about anything, even the korok seeds. Armor in particular that you mentioned, I loved the fact that there was plenty to choose from. I really want that to remain a thing. More fashion options are always good. I thought everything was handled in a "it's there if you want to do it" way, and that's perfectly fine. They're fun, so I do them. That's all the reason I need to do things, so I was plenty satisfied with what was there.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Deus pretty much sums up what I had to say, but I want to add a bit.

The part I think they overdid was trying to go for freedom of exploration. Every single aspect of the game seems designed to encourage you to explore, yet not hold you back from exploring just about anywhere you want. Even in cases where there are dangerous environmental hazards innate to the area, there's often resources enough to negate those hazards even without the protective gear that best serves the region. Even without multiple sets of protective gear for every danger, there's still enough options available that the gear almost feels extraneous. About the only times gear actually matters is in lightning storms, swimming up waterfalls, and entering the gerudo city; the rest of the time you can do quite well without it.

DarkestLink

More fashion options are always good.

If they want to go that route, I'd rather they set it in a game where we make our own character...or at least let us add some minor customization to Link. Dressing him as a hooded rogue kinda doesn't work when he's baby faced in this game, with the body type of a stout woman. <.<; As for fashion in BOTW...honestly, to me, it felt like there were two types of armor. The fashionable armor that sucks (mostly DLC)...and the good armor that looks like crap.

I don't get where the complaints about the Korok Seeds come from. If they had put less seeds, finding them would have been harder and more time consuming, given the massive world. It would have been like searching for a needle in a haystack, even if expanding the equipment inventory took less seeds. Would people really have wanted that? The amount of seeds they put in was proportional to the world's size, so that you could find them everywhere.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I don't get where the complaints about the Korok Seeds come from. If they had put less seeds, finding them would have been harder and more time consuming, given the massive world. It would have been like searching for a needle in a haystack, even if expanding the equipment inventory took less seeds. Would people really have wanted that? The amount of seeds they put in was proportional to the world's size, so that you could find them everywhere.

The problem with korok seeds is the fact after 450 there is literally no reward for them, if they had removed half of them it would've made them actually worthwhile instead of something picked up at random rocks.

DarkestLink

I don't get where the complaints about the Korok Seeds come from. If they had put less seeds, finding them would have been harder and more time consuming, given the massive world.

So...how is finding 20 seeds harder than finding 900? Would have been nice if they used the extra time to add more meaningful content...

The problem with korok seeds is the fact after 450 there is literally no reward for them, if they had removed half of them it would've made them actually worthwhile instead of something picked up at random rocks.
If they had done that, maxing out your inventory would have been harder, as you would have to collect every single seed. Putting twice as many as necessary allows for a margin of error -- you can miss half of them and still max out.

So...how is finding 20 seeds harder than finding 900?
I don't think I should have to explain why looking for 20 seeds (out of a total of 20) in BotW's humongous overworld would have been ridiculous. Like I said, like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Not really needle in a haystack at all they could've actually put them in impactful places instead of under rocks or metal doors.

It would also have actually made maxing the inventory a challenge and the game lacks a lot of challenge in many regards as well as meaning you had to plan what weapons you'd pick up, . As is this is going off topic, the thread is after all What BOTW overdid not "should there have been more or less koroks"

Not really needle in a haystack at all they could've actually put them in impactful places instead of under rocks or metal doors.
Then people would have complained even more about BotW's world being empty.

As is this is going off topic, the thread is after all What BOTW overdid not "should there have been more or less koroks"
All right, then I'll answer the thread title's question. No, I don't personally feel BotW overdid anything.

DarkestLink

I don't think I should have to explain why looking for 20 seeds (out of a total of 20) in BotW's humongous overworld would have been ridiculous. Like I said, like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Sure...but how is that any harder than finding 900/900?

I'd say so, too many Korok seeds and too many shrines. Halving the number of both and adding in other things in their place would have given me more reason to explore.

The weapon breaking mechanic meant there were too many of the same weapon and the weapons breaking happened far too often.

The things that weren't overdone were the things that needed it like thr story and lore.

Yep, way too many korok shіts, the big flaw with their existence is the 72% share of completion, just why, makes no sense, while things that should count towards completion don't. Story and lore can do without, less is better, zero story is optimal. It was WAY overdone on BotW. Sorry Nintendo don't care for your dumb stories, just make the game better and leave out the things like korok shіts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom