• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Did Anyone Feel Emotionally Moved By This Story?

A

AChrisToThePast

As I was playing this there was one scene that actually brought a little tear to my eye. When you travel back into the past to meet Zelda and she explains everything to you. When she begins to start apologizing and admitting to using you it really builds up some emotion. Afterwards when she proceeds to saying that she was always the one to wake you up and that now it is your turn to wake her up... I really almost started crying at that point. This story was so great. Hopefully this goes down as one of the greatest games in history because I absolutely love it. Nintendo hasn't done anything this epic since Ocarina in my opinion.

LinkPTY

Skyward Wiimote
That scene really hit me. I didn't cry but I was about to. The saddest part for me was when Zelda sealed herself and Link started pounding on the "cocoon".

I did shed a tear of happiness at the end of the game though. :P

I teared up in MM, I teared up in TWW, I teared up in TP, SS though? I actually didn't. I don't know why, as it was very emotional, but i just didn't.

SPOILERSAnd I think the ending was one of the most lacking ending in the Zelda series. Zelda asking Link what to do next was sorta cheesy, I like it better when Link just leaves without a word. Or what happened at the end of OOT, just watching Link go to Zelda, and then the screen goes black and white. It makes you wonder what's going to happen next without words, making you want more.

I was and in fact it was 25 years over do to make a Link and Zelda a couple for once. I also loved that scene between Link and Zelda when they are in the past and I thought it was the most emotional scene compare to all the other games. I haven't even gotten started on characters personality and love how they grow as Link progresses in the story. I thought Grouse was the best one and its funny how he acts towards Link in the beginning with his arrogance and he probably had the funniest moments in the series. I hought it was hilarious how he called the machine he made for The Imprisoned the "Grousenator" or how he named Hyrule "Grouseland". Another thing is that I loved how they made Zelda act like an actual person and not some character that told to go here and that's it and she was developed way better then most games in the series. Just the way she would give Grouse an attitude for either trying to flirt with her and bully Link or defending Link it just came off believable. Oh and how could I forget Ghirahim the best bad guy in the series with his witty and comical but twisted personality. Just the way he acted just makes Gannondorf boring and uninteresting in comparison (seriously the guy was one dimensional even in TP). I thought it was great to have a rival for Link that he encounters throughout the game and this really help establish Ghirahim as major bad guy that planned out everything. Personally I would love for Ghirahim to make a return and I think a sequel on 3DS (mostly likely) or even on the Wii U (doubt it) with him being the major bad guy again but with a different objective this time would be nice for the series. I thought the story was the best one told in the series and the cast of characters just makes the game more interesting.

I teared up in MM, I teared up in TWW, I teared up in TP, SS though? I actually didn't. I don't know why, as it was very emotional, but i just didn't.

SPOILERSAnd I think the ending was one of the most lacking ending in the Zelda series. Zelda asking Link what to do next was sorta cheesy, I like it better when Link just leaves without a word. Or what happened at the end of OOT, just watching Link go to Zelda, and then the screen goes black and white. It makes you wonder what's going to happen next without words, making you want more.

I thought it was actually great and not cheesy at all. First off the screen doesn't go black as soon as Link makes his expression (which essentially was no different then Link not saying word in the other games). They pan the screen in the distance in the sky with Link and Zelda's loftwings flying together in the distance an obvious hint of Link's response meant to her question. I thought this was similar to the way TWW ended where they gave an idea but at the same time making wonder what's next and making you want more from it.

Last edited:
B

Bizebest

I know that feeling bro... That scene was a really tear jerking moment for my wife and I. It was the most heart breaking moment in a Zelda game, so far (in my opinion)

Majora's Cat

How about that
The ending of Skyward Sword wrapped up the entire story very nicely, but that's pretty much the only time when the game invoked any sort of emotional response from me. The story and cutscenes were beautiful and sweet, but there weren't any standout moments that changed the way you thought of the series forever. More cinematic gaming experiences like to toy with the player, leading us to think that a certain thing's bound to happen and then veering off in a completely different direction. Although Skyward Sword has fantastic presentation, the story was still somewhat predictable.

In true Zelda fashion, the plot is relatively weak, but it is able to string together the gameplay in a more fluid way than in any other Zelda title before it. There was a cutscene after the Lanayru Mining Facility that shed some light on Hyrule's history and the direction the game is heading, but I wouldn't say that is was a tear-jerker. Like most Zelda games, the most emotional moments usual come at the very end of the game. In Skyward Sword's case, Link is confronted with the decision of either going backt o Skyloft or staying behind with Zelda (which the player should be able to infer that the latter happens), and the entire adventure is put into perspective with the staff credits.

When I reflected on the experience I had with Skyward Sword, I couldn't help but feel sad, as some of my best experiences in gaming have been with SS. The beautiful orchestrated music and heart-warming cutscenes bring one of the most brilliantly designed and grand video game experiences of all time to a close, and there's something astonishingly artful about this that moves even the most hardened of gamers.

I felt that the games story was definitely the most touching of all the titles! (that really means something since Wind Waker was quite touching)

The story didn't move me that much, but I did really like Groose's character development. The ******bag to ally transformation was pretty cool.

Night Owl

~Momentai
The fact that Link actually had a reason to do what he did was a much needed inclusion if you ask me. For once we felt emotionally connected to Zelda and therefore the completion of the game really felt like a relief rather than just an achievement. I was getting tired of Zelda being a second quest in a sense with the only real need to save her being introduced halfway through the game

What do you mean?
In Wind Waker, Link Had to save his sister, then rid the sea of Ganon forever.
In Phantom HourGlass we were saving Tetra from the Ghost Ship
I hear your point though. It isn't often we feel we need to complete the game for the sake of someone dear to us.

SS did an awesome job at immerssing us into the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword didn't move me. The Zelda-sealing scene was sweet and could've made me cry, but it just didn't. It was the best moment in the game, but I felt like Nintendo rid themselves completely of a great character. Also, SS' story is just a rehash of what I've seen, so I can't really *cry* about any of it because I've experienced it in so many other games. Doesn't matter how paint-like the artstyle may be, if Nintendo wants emotion, they need to give us a different story completely. Something like a reveal, maybe we find out Zelda is our long lost sister or maybe that we're of royal lineage or something that isn't the whole "SAVE YOUR PRINCESS, WHO FOR SOME DAMN REASON IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE."Real emotion, however, is centered in Majora's Mask.

Eh, not so much. I personally felt there needed to be an imminent threat, the likes of which the series has never seen. I wanted to feel the need to save everyone, not just Zelda. Sure, you could say the world was in danger, and had Link not prevented Lord Ghirahim's efforts, it's anyone's guess what chaos might have insued, but what was missing was that sense of urgency. There didn't seem to be any visible or psychological chaos caused by the hands of the villain (as far as the world below goes). For example, in past titles, there were instances where dungeons and areas were 'cursed' and/or affected by plagues (in a way) and destruction. Such things as water toxicity (MM - Woodfall), the threat of famine (OoT -Death Mountain), and the decimated Castle Town of the same game, were all caused as a direct result of the villain's efforts. Those instances were all examples of 'visible chaos' - as the effect they had on the world could be clearly seen. Some examples of 'psychological chaos' could be summed up in two words: Majora's Mask - as I could sort of 'feel' the emotion of the characters and connect with them. Furthermore, you could sort of feel the effect that an imminent 'end' had on them. In SS, all there seemed to be was enemies everywhere.

I felt Skyward Sword's story had great potential that was not capitalized on, as far as the emotional aspect goes. This might have to do with the fact that SS is an origin story. As such, the story seemed to focus more on Zelda, Link, and by extension, Ganondorf. Emotion-invoking enough, however, I felt it detracted from the game's other characters. The lack of visible chaos on the land ties into how its citizens are affected, in which case the lack of humans in the world below might be to blame. As I've mentioned above; the characters add a lot to the emotional impact the story leaves on the player; on me anyway. And as I've touched upon in another thread, perhaps a threat to the beloved Skyloft and its citizens - at least once in the game - might have sufficed. It would have definitely added a heavier emotional aspect to the story and in turn "move" me.

I've acknowledged that there's a positive aspect to the story's focus on Zelda and Link. And a different perspective has brung me realize that SS is sort of a departure from what we've come to expect from the Zelda series. This could be an aspect to the change in the traditional formula that seems to have somehow eluded us.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
it was a great scene but didn't come close to bringing tears to my eyes. no scene from any game has been THAT good

I thought this game was the most emotional so far due to how espressive link was. He seemed so sad when Zelda sealed herself away and of course with Fi at the end. He's never seemed extremely upset (even when Midna left in twilight princess) but this time I felt his pain. I teared up for real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom