• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did Anyone else Have Trouble with the Graphics at First?

O

Oceanbear1

So I hadn't set my wii up since moving into my new house, so I hadn't played on my new tv yet. when I got home from the store and put skyward sword in, the graphics looked TERRIBLE. They were very gritty and people only a little ways away were blocky/gritty. I was rather disappointed because it did not look how it did in all the trailors. I then realized the screen was set to wide screen, and the wii is meant to be played in 480 standard. I adjusted it to standard screen and it looks much better! has anyone else made this mistake? Also thought I would make this thread in case anyone else is having this problem

Funny, I played it in standard and I could not stand it. Then I switched to widescreen and it was looked fine.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It just depends on what kinda TV you have. I played Soul Calibur 2 on my LED HDTV and it looked great, in contrast I played on my boxTV and...it didn't look great. I surmise the same stands for the Wii, PS3, 360...any game system in existence. Just depends on the TV and the settings therein.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
So I hadn't set my wii up since moving into my new house, so I hadn't played on my new tv yet. when I got home from the store and put skyward sword in, the graphics looked TERRIBLE. They were very gritty and people only a little ways away were blocky/gritty. I was rather disappointed because it did not look how it did in all the trailors. I then realized the screen was set to wide screen, and the wii is meant to be played in 480 standard. I adjusted it to standard screen and it looks much better! has anyone else made this mistake? Also thought I would make this thread in case anyone else is having this problem

With the original console, you can get a somewhat better image if you use component cables (red/green/blue for video only + red/white for audio) instead of the outdated composite cable (only one yellow video + red/white audio cables). And of course you should set it to progressive mode.

The problem with the Wii though is that it doesn't support any anti-aliasing, the absence thereof combined with the low resolution gives some very flickering and pixelated edges in some situations. Additional problems arise with the composite cable because you can only get an interlaced signal from it, which depending on your TV's internal de-interlacing filter can cause ugly comb effects in motion. And there are interferences especially in areas with higher contrast, plus the colour transmission isn't that accurate so that black areas are dark grey etc.

I actually played through the whole game in Dolphin, which works amazingly well with this game, other than in TP there are neither massive slowdowns nor random crashes in the game. You can't use anti-aliasing (leads to glitches in this game) but you can set the internal res to up to 2112p for a much sharper and more detailed image.

Here's a small comparison:

1. Wii composite quality (made by taking the second pic, saving on SD card, playing with my BD player and re-grabbing it to PC):

2. Wii "component" quality (actually a bit better because it's a direct digital Dolphin shot at native resolution):

3. Dolphin with 4x native internal resolution (2112p), scaled to 853x480 for forum-friendly display (looks of course better in HD):

As you can see you can already get quite some improvement if you upgrade from composite to component (better and more vivid colours, less blurriness, no "stripe" artefacts which is even more visible in a moving picture). And to improve it even more to get rid of the "stair" effects you can use Dolphin.

A better comparison especially between 2. and 3. can be seen by cutting out the same part of the image:

thereasonbeing

The Floor is Lava
I've been playing this with a pretty shoddy image quality on my 42" LCD tv in my room. I tried basically every setting I could think of but ultimately couldn't find anything i was happy with. So i've just been playing the game with a pretty ugly pixelated Link. One thing I know is I took the red yellow and white cables out of the scart extention and plugged those directly into the three holes in the tv, as opposed to using the actual scart component. Is this known to make much of a difference? I'm not able to play again until wednesday so i'll try and mess around with it some more then.

It really is such a huge buzzkill after playing portal 2 on the 360 all day then getting SS at midnight and playing that, the difference in quality was just, well..stupid. If anyone has any tips they could give that would be great! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Z

Zaniaac

Blurry image quality

I am also getting blurry image quality. I have a 47" LED LCD TV, with Rocket fish component cables. I have it set up in 480p, widescreen.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
One thing I know is I took the red yellow and white cables out of the scart extention and plugged those directly into the three holes in the tv, as opposed to using the actual scart component. Is this known to make much of a difference? I'm not able to play again until wednesday so i'll try and mess around with it some more then.
No, this will not make a difference because you still have the bottleneck aka yellow composite cable, where all the video information is forced and compressed into a small single analogue line. Once some information is lost during signal processing, there's no way to get it back, similar to how you can't make an original big image from a camera into a small preview pic and then magically get the original quality back by stretching it. Or after compressing a CD to a low bitrate mp3, expanding it to a WAV again won't help at all.

It really is such a huge buzzkill after playing portal 2 on the 360 all day then getting SS at midnight and playing that, the difference in quality was just, well..stupid. If anyone has any tips they could give that would be great! Thanks :)

Like I said, get some component cables for your Wii, this gives a slight improvement because the video information stays separated in 3 colour lines.
You can simply buy one in most electronics stores or order it online (like here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Com...X2RS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321909648&sr=8-3 ), seeing that you're from Europe too and have the EU version of the Wii, you can also use an RGB to SCART cable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/RGB-Scart-V...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321909831&sr=1-1 , provided that your TV supports either of the two formats (and it should when it's relatively new and that size, check the manual just in case)

Of course this will still not resolve the problem that the resolution is low, the closest you can get to PS3/Xbox360 graphics is emulation, of course this additionally requires a very strong PC, a special DVD drived/hacked Wii to dump the game to your hard drive and a costum-built sensor bar (you could also simply turn on the Wii or use two candles) as well as bluetooth for your PC...

O

Oceanbear1

so if I go buy some component cables it should help a little? do you think I should put it back to widescreen, or leave it how it is?

T

toyall123

Wow, the differences are stunning:O

I believe part of the reason why the graphics are difficult to get used to is the fact that the Wii does not nearly have the power of a 360 or a PS3.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
On an HDTV:
-turn off all enhancers
-set brightness slightly lower, but color and contrast higher
-set sharpness to 0 or as low as you like

This should make the game look better.

O

Oceanbear1

bought some component cables, also realized I didn't have my wii set to 480p wide. It helped some, although I am not sure it was worth the price of the cables

kaimason1

the Wanderer
I've played at 720p (I think) and it's amazing... I have some special cable designed for wii to HDTV, and I'm fairly certain that's what it outputs.

Skyloftian

Skyloft's Artist
That sounds good. May I ask where you got it from? I'm currently having a lot of trouble with jaggies on my 40" HDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom