• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dictionary or Thesaurus (or Other)?

Which Do You Prefer?

• Dictionary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thesaurus

• Other

• Total voters

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
When you have a hard time remembering a word, which do you use mostly: a dictionary or thesaurus?

For myself, it'd have to be a thesaurus. I've spent years absorbing as many definitions as I could, so dictionaries feel somewhat outdated to me nowadays. Even so, I still find myself struggling to select just the right word for any occasion; in spoken communication especially--listeners will get confused if I use an abstract term (and as a result I become confused myself, as I don't instantly realize the problem). Therefore the lists of synonyms in a thesaurus is more useful; just need to recall a root word and scan the related selections. Naturally I don't carry a thesaurus with me, though, so I only have to deal with them when the time comes. ;P

What about you? Do you have a preference, or is another means available [i.e. the Internet]?

Last edited:
Meh. I have a tendency to use neither. I just don't like flipping through pages and pages, or even typing in a word to find it out. My vocabulary is quite extensive, and I feel I don't need them. If all else fails, I ask my parents. Combined, me, my mother, and my dad know almost everything.

(Un)Fortuntately, that's only a slight exaggeration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom