• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Detective Pikachu Movie

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
The game itself certainly looked interesting enough when Nintendo started releasing trailers for it and, as mentioned in that article, a lot of people are advocating for Danny DeVito to be the English voice of Pikachu, which could be a good match for its Japanese voice. I think, if done well, this could make for a good film. Though I don't know too much about the game's story, I like the concept of a crass talking Detective Pikachu who likes coffee.

I do wonder though whether the film will be coming from Japan or the US and if Pikachu will get a more realistic looking character model to fit into the "real world".

I was interested in the game, but I'm not sure how I'll like Pikachu in a live action movie. It might be cute though?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
A few months ago, Legendary Productions bought the rights to make a live action Pokemon movie. Then, everything went quiet... until a few days ago.
In the last week, Legendary has announced two things: the writers and which game the movie will be based on.
The writers they announced are Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy) and Alex Hirsch (Gravity Falls).
And the game?
The well-known Pokemon classic... The Great Detective Pikachu

My thoughts are that the writers are excellent choices. Guardians was great, and what little I've seen of Gravity Falls is gold as well. The story choice, however, pops my bubble. Out of everything they had, they went with a game that came out in February that is not at all reprasentative of the series itself, and is also relatively unknown, even among the fandom.
I wanted to know what everyone else thought about this? Does anyone like the idea? Do people have better ideas? Do you feel the writers won't work out?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I'm a bit hesitant, because typically when anime, (Or in this case a game with an anime adaption) usually don't turn out very good.
Plus I find it to be a weird concept to make a whole movie on. It just feels iffy at this point for me

My thoughts are that the writers are excellent choices. Guardians was great, and what little I've seen of Gravity Falls is gold as well. The story choice, however, pops my bubble. Out of everything they had, they went with a game that came out in February that is not at all reprasentative of the series itself, and is also relatively unknown, even among the fandom.
I wanted to know what everyone else thought about this? Does anyone like the idea? Do people have better ideas? Do you feel the writers won't work out?

I think it's quite simple. The live action trailer for GDP went viral, someone looked at it and thought "yes, this is daft enough to work" and got the rights to it.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Stealing this from a Discord server because of relevance:

image.jpg

I honestly don't know how I should feel about this news. I mean I like Ryan Reynolds a lot, but... this is just, wow. I have no words.

I think this goes up there with the dumbest things i've ever heard. it's gonna be aweful mark my words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom