• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Descendants Identical! Implausible!!

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
So although there have not been many confirmed decandents there are some, such as Lineback and Lineback the third, and others i'm to tired to look up, does it ever bother you that they just reuse the same charecter designs when they should look doffrent? Or would you rather prefer it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
It doesn't bother me at all. It kind of builds on the nostalgia factor. I have nothing against reoccurring characters. In fact, I want several characters to make appearances in future games, and I expect them to look almost identical to their previous incarnations.

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
Well reuseing designs takes like 1 1/2 a year off of making the game they have to draw about every veiw angle to make it move the may a part of its angle bend.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I really don't mind about them reusing characters. I would prefer it if they added more new characters than renewed ones, but I'm fine either way still.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
This hardly bothers me at all. Zelda is a fantasy series, it doesn't make much sense at all anyway. Reusing characters doesn't hurt the series due to that.

Fig

The Altruist
I love it when Nintendo uses the same design concept to create the new descendants! It brings a lot of nostalgia in me. I always enjoy seeing familar faces, even if they are not the original characters. One character tuatwill always stay near and dear to me is Niko from Spirit Tracks. I'm surprised that he was qble to love for over 100 years, yet he looks like he's in his 80's! o_O

oracleofcanada

never give in brohams!
well i think it makes sense for nintendo to do these things because it allows them to put more time into another aspect of the game, did you know that Majora's Mask used alot of pre-existing models allowing them to put more time into story telling

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It does bother me a bit that they can't get new models for this stuff, but of course due to time constraints and/or laziness, reusing models will have to do. The only exception to that bothersome query is Majora's Mask and OoX. Many of the models/sprites were reused from the other game, but they're all stringed together to be a box of awesomeness.

I admit that it used to bother me somewhat. However, I think this sort of thing is only limited to characters that are popular with the fanbase. In others words, popular characters that the fanbase wouldn't mind seeing again who - given certain circumstances - couldn't return otherwise...

For example, take Linebeck (PH); if memory serves, he's quite popular with the Zelda fanbase. So much so, that many fans wanted to see him return at some point in the series. But given the events that occurred in Phantom Hourglass, it is impossible for this to happen. A compromise would be to introduce a character in the following game - Spirit Tracks - who greatly resembles him. This might have been the reason behind the appearance of his grandson, Linebeck III.

Whether or not a character makes a return, or has a "descendant" based on him/her, might very well depend on said character's overall popularity. However, having a popular character return in the form of a descendant is simply one way of "bringing an old character back." Sometimes it seems like Nintendo throws in a reference to popular old characters, many of whom are Easter Eggs. (for example: Navi | Ciela, Fairy Queen (WW) | Fi (SS), Gondo [loosely?] (SS) | Gonzo (WW)

Other characters that are generally popular and have been shown to have descendants/predecessors in other games include:

• Link and Zelda, of course... However, their appearance varies slightly from game to game, and is hinted to have been the result of divine intervention.
  • Tingle and the various incarnations of Tingle appearing in several games; albeit MM's Tingle seems to be the oddball of the group.
  • Gonzo (WW)| Alfonzo (ST)
  • Malon and Talon (OoT) make several appearances in the series. Although it is never confirmed whether or not they are "descendants," so to speak, of the OoT's duo.
  • Beedle (SS) Given SS' place in the timeline, it is probable that said character is a descendant of Beedle (WW), or loosely intended to be such. Other Beedles have also made an appearance in the series, but meh...

Makes me wonder if Midna will ever receive the same treatment, seeing as she's quite popular. Unfortunately, several factors prevent this from ever happening... :/

Even in OoT->MM the reusing of characters or models isnt bothersome because theyre entirely new people, and are completely different. This might be more because theyre actually people in the sense that you can get to know them and they have things to do, but the idea of reusing characters isnt always bad.

I love Tingle. :)
And Beedle

and Malon&Talon

And all of the other reused characters. In fact, my eyes light up when i see them in a new game. It's fun to me to see them again. I missed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom