• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Demise in the Future

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
It's pretty hard for Demise's hatred to reincarnate into Ganondorf (...you know what I mean) if the hatred is still inside Demise's own consciousness. This would, on the other hand, not make Demise any less valuable to the Zelda mythos, in my opnion, because his defeat triggers the endless cycle between good and evil: He 'curses' Hyrule, perhaps more metaphorically than litterary, by condemning the land to always have a darkness hovering above it.
His defeat in SS doesn't trigger the cycle; it had been going on long before SS takes place, as Fi explains.

Originally Posted by Locke

His defeat in SS doesn't trigger the cycle; it had been going on long before SS takes place, as Fi explains.

Demise's defeat in SS was not his first defeat, indeed, however, it is only after that battle that he explicitly puts his curse upon the struggle over the Triforce. Anyway, I feel like this might be a discussion of exact meanings of different terms, so I admit that there can be several ways of interpreting this.

Just for reference:

Hyrule Historia translation by GlitterBerri

However, the extinction of Demise was not the end of the battle. This was the beginning of the endless cycle of the conflict of those bound to the curse of the demon that have the Blood of the Goddess and the Spirit of the Hero.

Still, my original point seems to still be valid. :P

/Blue Window

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
all evil is demise

i think that every villain (at least most) link faces is each born with a part of demises hatred within them one way to notice is look at malludis (spirit tracks) he looks very similar to ganon when they are both in beast form and others like aghamin wish to rule hyrule like ganondorf.

You know, now that I think about it, wasn't Demise referred to by Fi as an "it"? It seems to me that this implies that he may be a sort of physical manifestation of all evil that exists in the world, like a personification of sorts - evil itself. This not only explains why "he" is referred to as "it," but also the fact that his appearance differs depending on who sees "him" [it], such is the case with the real-world concept of evil. The way Link "sees" Demise [evil] seems to bear a striking resemblance to Ganondorf, in my opinion...

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
You know, now that I think about it, wasn't Demise referred to by Fi as an "it"? It seems to me that this implies that he may be a sort of physical manifestation of all evil that exists in the world, like a personification of sorts - evil itself. This not only explains why "he" is referred to as "it," but also the fact that his appearance differs depending on who sees "him" [it], such is the case with the real-world concept of evil. The way Link "sees" Demise [evil] seems to bear a striking resemblance to Ganondorf, in my opinion...

This seems like the most credible way of looking at it. Given his name, Demise represents all sorts of nefarious epitomes that would strike fear into those devoid of Courage, because of what he embodies--Death. I'm certain everyone has a disparate interpretation of what Death might look like to them. For Link, it would be the personification of Ganondorf, though that figure comes later in the future... Nonetheless, Demise could also be a devilish figure, the opposer of Din, Farore, and Nayru, the three keepers of Hyrule. To dominate the land would mean deposing the three goddesses, thereby becoming ruler over it. And with the power of the Triforce, which he'd supposedly inherit, Demise could obliterate Hyrule and recreate a world of his own. In that way, he might already know what Link would come to ultimately fear, and takes that form early so that Link's reincarnations might remember the fear and dwindle away. Ah yeah, time paradoxes for the win.

^ The Historia seems to say that Demise is an incarnation of evil:

Demise

The source of all monsters, powerful enough to destroy the entire world. Demise is the embodiment of evil and it is said that its appearance changes with each era and to each person who observes it. Its goal is to claim the Triforce let its demonic hordes take control over the surface world.

(From Glitterberri.com)

/Blue Window

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom