• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

deleted thread

Most of my friends at school are exactly like that. I only have two friends who like Zelda games, and one of them thinks that Skyward Sword looks too cartoony and he already hates the game. Oh well...

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Well, first and foremost, if they haven't played it, they obviously don't know what they're talking about, so I typically ignore them. Or tell them how Zelda games last longer than Call of Duty (after a couple of new games, nobody plays the earlier COD. After twenty-five years worth of new games, people still play the original Legend of Zelda. Hmm...)
But, overall, it's best just to ignore what people say. As said, most don't even play the game. And it's really hard to change some people's minds (especially those who make such comments.)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I want to know what you say/do to those people and what you think of them.

Another question I have is why do YOU think they make statements like that when they have never played it.
Usually I say "Zelda is a happy series, you're right", and I think that they are completely justified in their stance against the Zelda series. Sometimes, I join them in the Zelda trolling, because I do hate certain games in the series. That doesn't mean I totally agree with them, but they have their own opinions and it should be okay for them to express it in any manner they like. After all, people judge religions and all sorts of things without ever having been part of said religion and somehow their stance is justified/correct. Why shouldn't it apply to Zelda haters? Anyway, Zelda haters are completely okay with their hate of the series, it is their opinion and they shouldn't be ostracized for it, regardless of if they've ever played a game in the series or not. People do that with other things all the time and people jump up defending their right to criticize and whatever -- it should and I hope in time it WILL apply to hating of video game series, Zelda or not.

They probably make statements like that because, well, they have seen object A and therefore object B can never be as good and especially not BETTER than their beloved object A. I'm the same way with Ocarina of Time, no Zelda game can ever be better though Majora's Mask and likely Skyward Sword are on the same level of OoT as far as I'm concerned.

For the record, I play CoD and love it, it has many aspects that are better than any Zelda game could produce. One is obviously the bragging rights – Zelda isn't multiplayer and thus you don't interact with anyone else; the only Zelda that ever came close to almost simulating interaction with other people was Majora's Mask and that game was still only a single player adventure.

Last edited:
This actually happens a lot at my school. A lot of kids at my school talk about Halo 3 or Call of Duty, though I prefer adventure games like Zelda. Don't get me wrong, Halo 3 and COD are great but Zelda is just better. First Person Shooters aren't really my type of game. I actually tend to suck at them. But the "cool" kids seem to play them like all the time. I only have two FPS' - Halo (original) and Black Ops so yeah. Like I said, I prefer adventure games and classics like Mario and Zelda. And now that I think about it, I pretty much love all the Nintendo series.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
I haven't really incurred too much of this, even when I was in school. Since graduating, the only even remote signs of emnity (and by remote, I mean middle of a desert with no water remote) is my co-worker rolling her eyes whenever I talk about the games and my brother not wanting to listen to me when I go uber-Zelda-geek. But for those way back when who DID downsize the game I adore, the conversation usually went something like...

"Why do you like Zelda? It's gay!"
"A. How can it be gay? It neither has a gender nor does it show any preference for one. B. have you even played one of the games? Read any of the dialogue? Seen an article on it?"
"Yeah I have, and *insert game* was much better!"
"Ahuh... a game from a completely different genre is much better than this RPG. Do you listen to yourself?"

Often times, I'd hear some dumbass mockingly "doot" the first chord of the main theme from the games whenever I pass. They weren't worth my time, so I merely passed with no indication of hearing them.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
"Ahuh... a game from a completely different genre is much better than this RPG. Do you listen to yourself?"

I see no reason at all why a game from a different genre can't be better than a game from another genre. Direct comparisons can't be made, but what someone holds to be best/better is purely their opinion and shouldn't be taken away on the grounds of "Game A and Game B are of two different compounds".

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
I suppose. But it still seems odd to compare a FPS to an RPG or a fighting game. While, for example, Black Ops may be considered (by some) to be the best FPS ever, it does not make it the best all-around game ever. There are many other games in many other genres that could take "best" in their genre.

But "best" is a very opinionated term, save for certain situations (ex. Diamond sword is the best sword in Minecraft).

Before you ask NO i am not a zelda hater, I am a huge fan of the series.

I am sure everyone has seen this at one point or another, but when you see someone who doesnt play zelda or isnt a gamer, make comments like "Zelda, that game is gay" or "Zelda sucks, black ops is sooo much better.

I usually make a comment like "there was no black ops in 1999"

I want to know what you say/do to those people and what you think of them.

Another question I have is why do YOU think they make statements like that when they have never played it.

Its so wrong for people to say Zelda is rubbish and it sucks when they have not played it.
Id even bet some have played it but when they are in a crowd with people who do not like it they just agree its no good to stay in with the crowd.
But really a game should not be made fun of until a person plays it.
Ill bet loads of people who hate it would actually like it very much if they gave it a go.

There are not many people my age who play Zelda but when i was younger around fifteen, a lad i knew said its rubbish why do you play that silly game.
Well i said have you actually tried it and he said no so i said to him why do you hate it.
He then said because his friends say the same.
So he give it a go and he told me he loved it and we would never hate a game until he gave it a go.

Last edited:

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
I can understand if someone doesn't like Zelda due to the genre, some people just don't like RPG/Puzzle games and that's fine. But it angers me when people just hate Zelda for no real reason, a series that has had nothing but high rated games for 25+ years cannot be bad no matter what anyone says.
I hate it most of all when people judge Zelda without even playing it...

I remember one comment on Kotaku: "I have never played a Zelda game and I never will!"; this kind of blindness saddens me...:(

Last edited:
How do I handle it? Violence! The ultimate way to make people side with you!
Joking aside, I basically treat them like the trolls they are. They call it gay, I say "then why aren't YOU playing it". Or "Go to sleep little boy". I don't tolerate them talking down to Zelda in favor of something stupid like Call of Duty, which many people I know say has a poor fanbase. And if they NEVER played it, then I know these people aren't worth respecting or talking to unless its to tell them they aren't worth any effort.

Wolferz

Do a Barrel Roll
Yeah today now all the kids at my school talk about CoD or Halo and all the other modern games today. Me, I stick to Nintendo and Zelda no matter what anyone says. Sure some people say,"Why do you even play that dumb game? It's for little kids. Halo's better!". But I just feel pity for them because they will never truly experience a great adventure like Zelda.

Especially now with SS coming out and all its controversy about the graphics. Graphics aren't everything and the only people who bag on them are people that expect realistic games.

People who don't like Zelda usually say Tomb Raider is better(which is BS) and people saying that Zelda is for kids don't realize that there are kids that are younger than 12 that play COD, Halo, GTA, L4D, Dead Island, BattleField , Mortal Kombat, Dead Rising, Resident Evil, ScarFace, The GodFather, Bioshock,Gears of War and other M rated games that kids play.

Last edited:
If someone says its for kids, point out that you can stab enemies in the head or in the eye.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

First of all, calling the Zelda games gay is completely nonsensical. Video games have no sexual orientation. (Goodness, it really annoys me when people try and use that word as an insult. -.-)

In all honesty, I don't see any hate at all for Zelda. Even people who are less friendly toward the concept of, you know, playing video games, generally tend to think Zelda's pretty great. Even those of my friends who play Call of Duty and make a habit on bashing on Nintendo don't bash on Zelda. Some of them even play it. It's a really wonderful series of games, and even those who are relatively remote to it seem to acknowledge that.

So, to answer your question as to how I deal with the hate, I don't. I don't need to, since the hate's virtually non-existent from my experience. Maybe that will change a bit when I go off to college and whatnot, but I'm also sort of inclined people will be a little bit more mature anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom