• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Deleted Scenes

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Usually when movies go into production they film a ton of scenes, and then get rid of the ones that seem least important for the sake of time and simplicity. Usually it's cut for a good reason, or wasn't really necessary for the main plot. I'm curious if anybody knows any examples of scenes they really, really should've kept in there.

The first thing that comes to my mind is from Batman 89. Towards the end Joker is having a parade through Gotham, tossing money out into the crowds. There was originally going to be a scene there where somebody looks at one of the bills only to show its a counterfeit with Joker's face on it. They ended up cutting it I guess because it seemd kind of small, but it would have been GENIUS if they left it in there. That would have tied back earlier in the film where, when asked by Vikki Vale what he wanted, Joker humorously replied "my face on the one dollar bill". Instead just a throwaway joke, it would have made a really cool connection. I'm kinda bummed that that little part wasn't in there.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Not from a movie, but from a game.

We all love Nazeem in Skyrim:

1651962546190.png

He brags all the time about us not getting to the Cloud District very often, his endless wealth and successes, as well as sleeping in the local tavern.

Yet, how can one who lives and sleeps in a local tavern be the wealthiest guy in Whiterun? Surely, with all of his wealth, he could at least afford a house, right?

Well, turns out he was supposed to own the largest manor in Whiterun which was going to be called Wintersand Manor....

Except, the developers cut the manor from the game, leaving Nazeem homeless.

So we're just left with a Redguard bragging about all this wealth he doesn't have, and boasting about a house in Whiterun that doesn't exist.

Which is a more fitting end for this pompous, arrogant fop.

Yes Nazeem! I have been to the Cloud District! I've talked to the damn jarl for Talos' sake!

*rant done*

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The extended editions of Lord of The Rings are the proof that keeping scenes in can serve to deliver your movies to greater heights. They are the only versions people should watch.

As for movies where there arent extended editions. I know in Star Wars Episode 3 there are deleted scenes with Padme which give her more of a character than just being a pregnant wife. There is also a scene with Anakin Padme and Palpatine where Papa Palps helps guide Anakin towards mistrusting his wife. These things might seem small but if added they would have improved the depth of the story in the movie.

In Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, the scenes where Petunia and Dudley seem to show regret for how they treated Harry were cut out, which I thought added to their characters rather than them just buggering off like in the theatrical release.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
The extended editions of Lord of The Rings are the proof that keeping scenes in can serve to deliver your movies to greater heights. They are the only versions people should watch.
I have nothing to add. I agree 100%.

Though I do advocate that people also read the entirety of Tolkien's Legendarium, because there's just so much to discuss.

There once was a debate whether or not bees existed in Arda, and we all had to point out that there's mead in Tolkien's Legendarium, and you can't make mead without honey, and no bees means no honey, therefore, bees exist in Arda.

Anyhow, yeah, 100% agree.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
There is a cut scene from the Warcraft movie (it's available on the Bluray) where the Orcs are sitting around a campfire, just talking and joking. It made them feel more like a people and made them more likeable. Of course that doesn't solve the movies problem of being too fast-paced, but it helps.
You need slow scenes as well, otherwise everything feels rushed. That is why LotR succeeded, they put those slower moments in there, thus making it a better movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom