• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Dekus' Role in Different Games

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
As I haven't played all the games, I still lack a lot of information on some specific issues that sometimes make me curious. This is a purely informational post (that is, for me to gather information :)), but I'll welcome any theories about the matter, as long as they are in a new thread in the theory section.

The question is: what has been the role of the Dekus in the different games?

As far as I know, they appeared as rather coward enemies and occasional salespeople in Ocarina of Time, but generally lonely individuals; then, in Majora's Mask we discover they have a society and even royalty, -and they are still Dekus, even though if it's in Termina and not in Hyrule. And that's all the Dekus I've seen, because I don't remember seeing any in Twilight Princess and I don't think the forest creatures of Skyward Sword were dekus.

Do they appear in any other games? Are they hostile, friendly, both? In OoT and MM they show a great commercial spirit, is that so in the other games?

Thank you! I like to learn one bit more every day about this world.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think the main purpose of the Deku Scrubs is some sort of business, that is what they always seem to be known for in their main appearances. Majora's Mask gave us an interesting insight into the race's culture and just general attitude while other games may have slightly touched upon it before. Anyway I think the Deku Scrubs just tend to be the local trade business points within the forest areas in that specific game.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
It varies from game to game, obviously. In OoT, they are hostile beings. Even business scrubs. You have to hit them somehow to get any trade off of them. Its like their white flag. The red Mad (I believe that's the correct term) Scrubs tend to just be territorial. I always saw them as natural fauna of the region, protecting their home (the little bushel of leaves beneath them being the home).

As C00l mentioned, and as you also stated, in MM, they have been given a whole identity. I believe they were related to some kind of culture (I want to say Russian, but I'm not 100%, so I won't). They had a dynasty, guards, a butler, a king, the works! BUT, remember that MM is taken place in a parallel dimension. So...I dunno what this says about them. There is still the Business side of them, but unlike OoT, they can be friendly and get along with humans, Gorons, Zoras, etc. It was just a way of flushing out another race in the Zelda Universe, really.

Other games, like OoX, have them as non hostile creatures who sell you stuff. I don't think they made an appearance in TP or SS, except I think the "Octorocks" in the Woods in SS bared a close resemblance to the Deku. (Again, I might be fudging facts a bit. They may actually be referred to as some sort of Deku, I dunno. I never listened to Fi). TP definitely didn't have any instances (none that I can remember), and WW also didn't have any either. I think Nintendo stopped using them in order to explore other monsters, which is unfortunate, because I love the Deku.

I can't say anything about LoZ, AoL, LA, or MC because I have either never played or haven't finished playing these yet. But from what it seems, the Deku really only have a prominent role in MM, nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom