• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dekus, Kokiri and Other Lost Races in SS

I'm with Meego on the "cramming" issue: I don't want a "Hey look we worked in every race now aren't you happy" situation. But I disagree about a new race. If every so often they would pull an under-utilized race out of the pile and incorporate them into the story, rather then inventing a bunch of one-shot races and then forgetting them, I would be very happy. (Happier still if they weren't all clones, but hey, I'll take what I can get.)

Having a new race is not bad, but many races that could be considered to be on the status of classics have compeltly been forgotten or undeveloped. is not that Nintendo has to put them in every single part of the game or focus more than they should on them, but many of the races that appeared in OoT should appear here and have some sort of relevant role. Aounuma said that he wants to create a more complex world, with more things to do and more substance to it. To create a world like that you need characters, races and places that are filled with interesting things to do, explore and interact with. That's why I think that the re-introduction of these races is so important, besides fan services, the whole point is to create a full living world.

Besides, having them in the same game makes sense, considering that this is a prequel. Now, speaking of new races, the inhabitants of Skyloft surely will not be Hylians, so there you have a new race. Most games in the series have at least one new race, so SS will surely not be an exception, but that doesn't mean that old race should not return.

One thing I think is important to be remembered, since we're discussing the return of all these classic races, is "fan service". I don't want Nintendo to put them inside the game just to make an appearance so fans can drown in nostalgia. The comeback of these should be to bring improvements to the story, to create a more interesting and vibrant world, to simply make a superior game. Nintendo must be careful with this, otherwise it'll just feel like fan service.

I actually really like the idea of Nintendo making the Goron and Zora races step down as the dominant races in Skyward Sword, in favour of making races like the Kokiri and Deku's more dominant as races than they have been in the past.

In Ocarina of Time, the Kokiri race was quite heavily involved in the plot, especially at the start of the game, and I can understand that Nintendo basically made that entire race for Ocarina of Time, but how come only the Goron's and Zora's become staple races throughout the rest of the series? They even had the Deku's in this game, but we mainly saw them as an enemy of Link, and not an ally, although there were a fair amount of merchant scrubs in the game. Ocarina of Time also introduced the Gerudo to us, a race that had a majority of women, considering a man only appeared every 100 years (destroying Biology FTW! =D).

Majora's Mask had something similar with the Deku's, as they were extremely heavily involved in the first 5th of the game (in terms of temples, that is). But after that, they just disappeared as a race, and sunk back to the level of being a weak enemy. I really liked the entire monarchy idea that they had going with Deku's in Majora's Mask, it showed them to be a more sophisticated species than Ocarina of Time lead us believe, and a more intelligent race too. Once race that I would love to see re-introduced in Skyward Sword though is the Garo, they were a cool concept, and reminded me of assassin's. I would be extremely happy if they brought the Garo back with the entire assassin theme to Skyward Sword, or any future Zelda game for that matter. They could be something like the Creed Assassin's Creed, a game that I love. Maybe the game would start off with them as a tough enemy, before Link managed to earn their respect, and be allowed full access to their headquarters, similar to the Gerudo's in Ocarina of Time.

There are probably a lot more races out there that Nintendo could bring back in some cool and interesting way. It would be cool to be able to send these ideas to Nintendo to be considered for an upcoming game, I'd love that Garo idea to appear, even if they didn't have the entire assassin society and history behind them, they were just a cool race/enemy that appeared in Majora's Mask.

I agree with what a few others have said about the "cramming" thing, I'd prefer to see the Zora's and Goron's step down in favour of a few older races that weren't used a lot. Then after older races had all been introduced through the next few games or so, they could start to have different combinations of them in games, and then maybe add a new one somewhere along the line. It would give the games a lot more variety in themes, instead of just the water and fire themes that the Zora's and Goron's have introduced several times. The Deku's wouldn't really be able to add another theme, but the Garo's could bring a different theme than usual into the game. Maybe they could even start to make games in which the two or three main races found within the game a quite heavily involved with each other, although I don't see what this could introduce to the game instead of something new and fairly interesting.

Last edited:

Shnappy

derp
This is a great topic. I've always liked the other races in Zelda games, and especially when they are a huge part of the story line such as OoT with the Kokiris and MM with the Dekus, Zoras, and Gorons. But Nintendo can't just be careless and throw a bunch of creatures in there for no apparent reason. They need to fit, and they fit perfectly in those two games in my opinion. I haven't really been paying much attention to recent Zelda news, so I don't really know much about the SS plot/storyline, but this is what Wikipedia says...

"Skyward Sword is a prequel to Ocarina of Time.[9] The Link appearing in the game was born and raised in Skyloft, a group of islands floating above the clouds.[10][8][9] Leading an ordinary life there, he one day discovers the Skyward Sword, which leads him to another, previously unknown land beneath, ruled by evil forces.[10] Using the sword to travel back and forth between the two worlds, the mystery of why they became separated is gradually revealed to Link.[10] The Skyward Sword will turn into the Master Sword at some point in the game and, while giving Link advice, it will assume the form of the female figure in the concept art shown at E3 2009"

I think that judging by this, the Oocas could fit well. In TP, they were primarily located in the City in the Sky, and when I first heard of Skyloft that's immediately thought of. We have no way to know fully whether or not the Oocas will be there, and it's certainly up to debate. But if there is going to be a primary "other race", such as the Kokiri's were in OoT, that the best chance is that it will be the Oocas because of their connection to the sky.

As for the Deku's that we have briefly seen, it looks to be as they are just simple enemies, and that should mean that they will not have a gigantic role like they did in MM, but more like an OoT role. In OoT, they were simple enemies scattered across Hyrule, but there were also some that when you stunned, sold you items such as beans. I guess I'm happy to see that they will probably make some kind of resurgence, but for opinion, unlike some, they aren't that important. They're just another enemy, like an octorok, moblin, stalfos, whatever. They just may have a small variation, but it seems unlikely that they will have a major role in the storyline.

As for the Gorons and Zoras, and other tribes, I'd be quite surprised if the came up as enemies, but it would be a pleasant surprise. I don't remember the Gorons ever being enemies outside of what they were in TP, but if they were, someone could point that out to me. But if they did come up as enemies, I think that would be a pleasant surprise rather than an unpleasant surprise. With their abilities to roll up, eat rocks, or whatever else they might do, it would add a cool aspect, and a nice new enemy. However, that probably won't happen. It's more likely that they will be civil people that have some kind of village, such as they did in OoT and TP. If this is a prequel to OoT and probably TP (depending on your view of the timeline), then we might see some kind of village. There was a lava/fire oriented dungeon in the trailer, and it could have some association with the Gorons, which would suggest that there would be this village I'm talking about, but it could just be something like TWW, whose fire dungeon had no association with the Gorons, instead it was associated with the Rito tribe, who could possibly be some kind of evolution of the Zoras. As for other miscellaneous tribes such as the Shiekah, I could honestly care less about what they do. Maybe an appearance with a village would be nice, but most races seem like a small aspect of the games.

As for new races, my advice to Nintendo is to knock yourselves out, but don't go overboard. I don't need 20 new races hiding behind every tree. Most races, however, have been introduced as enemies, for example, the Zoras. They started out as an enemy in LoZ, but never really evolved into a civil people until OoT. SS may introduce enemies that become a civil race, or they may just make a new race that starts out civil. I could really care less. But if they introduce races and integrate them well, that is a huge thumbs up.

So, overall, races = good, but not great unless Nintendo does a good job of integrating them into the game/storyline in a fresh, interesting way.

Kybyrian

I definitely agree with this. It kind of gets boring seeing the same races over and over again. The Gorons and Zoras are great, but they are making too big of an appearance in every game. It would be nice to see some other races make big and multiple appearances in games. The Gorons make an appearance as a big part of most games and quite frankly I'd like to see something else. The same goes for the Zoras. I'm not necessarily suggesting the elimination of these races altogether, but rather the implementation of some newer races among them. That might be a problem, however, because some of the games may become too crowded. Discarding the Zoras and Gorons every once in a while like they did with The Wind Waker would be great, but also including some races that appear in multiple games while doing so would also be great. Another appearance of the Rito, for example, would be awesome to see. They only appeared once and then poof! they're gone.

Durion said:
Ocarina of Time also introduced the Shiekah to us, a race that had a majority of women, considering a man only appeared every 100 years (destroying Biology FTW! =D).
I don't know if you meant Gerudo here, but I assume you do. I never really knew much about the background of the Sheikah and don't recall much being said about their background, so I can't remember if this was said about them or not. I think it's safer to assume that you meant the Gerudo, though.
If you mean the Gerudo, then I agree completely. It would be nice to see the Gerudo making a bigger appearance in some of the games. They were in Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time, but not really in much else. It would be great to see them playing a bigger part. They wouldn't even have to include Ganondorf every time that they put them in, either.

If you meant the Sheikah, then that's fine, too because I was going to get into them anyway. The Sheikah have only appeared as a very small race. In Ocarina of Time there were only two Sheikah. One of them wasn't even really a Sheikah, but rather Princess Zelda in a disguise. I'm referencing to Sheik, of course. The only other Sheikah that we saw was Impa. It would be wonderful if, in future games, we saw the return of the Sheikah except as a much larger race. I think this would make a big change to Zelda, and it would all work out for the better, as well.

Durion said:
Majora's Mask had something similar with the Deku's, as they were extremely heavily involved in the first 5th of the game (in terms of temples, that is). But after that, they just disappeared as a race, and sunk back to the level of being a weak enemy.
I agree completely! The Deku made such a small appearance in Majora's Mask, but it was a good appearance nonetheless. Majora's Mask may have been a sort of alternate world, but that doesn't mean that they are restricted to not adding them in as a race in any other game. They were a pretty good race in Majora's Mask, in my opinion, and it would be nice to see some sort of a return. It may be far off or a very small possibility, but I would love to see it happen.

Durion said:
In Ocarina of Time, the Kokiri race was quite heavily involved in the plot, especially at the start of the game, and I can understand that Nintendo basically made that entire race for Ocarina of Time, but how come only the Goron's and Zora's become staple races throughout the rest of the series?
Once more, I completely agree with you. The Kokiri were a great race, and the return of them would be awesome. We saw something similar to the Kokiri in The Wind Waker, but I think a return of the actual Kokiri would be better than something such as what we saw in The Wind Waker. The Deku Tree lives for a very long time and regrows when it dies, so why shouldn't it be plausible to see the Kokiri make a return? The only thing I can think of them wanting to prevent doing this, though, would be the fact that the Kokiri never age. We'd have a big chance of seeing somebody like Saria again, which really would subtract from the point of making the Kokiri anyway. There are always ideas, though. Something could be easily done to add in new Kokiri and have an excuse for those Kokiri not being in games later on or before in the timeline.

The Gerudo and Sheikah need to make a strong appearance in this games. Their among the most important races in Hyrule, but have been far from the spotlight for far to long. Their legacy and influence throughout the series is stunning, and is time we understand their origins and more details about their customs and way of living. We know much from the Goron and Zoras, its time to see more about this lost and mysterious tribes. SS is perfect to reintroduce them, more than any other game in the series after OoT so far.

I personally think the Sheikah should return. They were referenced as a tribe that became extinct so it would make sense to have them in a prequel to Ocarina of Time. I really want them to bring the Kokiri back, but I have a feeling it will never happen. I want Nintendo to take a break from the Zoras and Gorons but I don't think they will. My verdict?
They will have the Gorons and Zoras for sure, and maybe the Shiekah. And perhaps a new forest tribe. That's just what I think they will do.

Icetomeetyou

*brofist*
They'll probably be hints at them or we'll actually see them. The only reason I say this is because Nintendo said that SS is the first in the time line. Of course, I'm not sure about this. It could be so far in the past that we don't see them.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I'm sure they'll bring back o few, hopefully we get the Kokiri, and Gerudo back, I don't think we will see all the lost races return though.. Some races will disappear forever with the game they were featured in, but I feel that because they made the direct connection between OoT and SS we will see races from OoT that we haven't seen for a while. oh and did you know the owl might be in this game?

Yes
No <--

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
my way of wanting this is

YES!!!
i would love for the kokiri and deku to come back and the killer cucco thing because its so funny to see the cuccos kill man instead of man kills cucco

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom