• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dekus, Kokiri and Other Lost Races in SS

Many races that made their debut on previous Zelda games have by now been long forgotten. OoT and MM did a great job to introduce races such as the Deku, Gerudo, the Sheikah and more, but many haven't had an appearence in recent Zelda titles. Some like the Goron and the Zora have become staples of the series, and their apperance is fairly common and expected on many games. After all, they are classic races that give a nice Zelda feel to each game they make an appearance in.

SS debut trailer showed some creatures similar to a Deku. Hinting to a possibility that Nintendo is planning to make a comeback of old faces. But I think the Deku should make return as a prominent race, similar to the ones you find in MM.

OoT did a nice job to introduce the Deku as a race, they were enemies, but they were also merchants and even had their own side-quests. Deku in MM had an even more promiment role: some were merchants, others were enemies, and they even had their own area, temple, song and kingdom. I think they did a nice job to establish them as a new race on the series, a race that would work for more than one game. But, unlike other races such as the Goron or Zora, the Deku hasn't have an appearance at all. Not even as enemies.

But thats not the only race that has been left behind.

The Kokiri for instance had not been on a game since WW. But those were technically Koroks, and TP completely ignores them for some reason. It bugs me a bit that these interesting races disappear, without giving them a proper development to their customs, habits and history.

The Kokiri basically disappeared without to much, or no explanation on later games. the same can be said about the Sheikah and the Gerudo.

It is probably understandable why they don't appear on later games, basically, many of this races were created solely for one game, must like the Oocca or the Lokomo, but SS seems to be the perfect game to see their comeback.

As we all should know by now, SS is a prequel to the entire series, taking place before the events of Ocarina of Time. Because of this, this game will surely give us some light on the origins of many races, such as the Kokiri, the Deku, the Sheikah and more. This game apparently will be the chapter in the series that will give us some answers to questions that the fans have had for years. The game has already been confirmed to shed some light on the origins of the Master Sword, which is in itself a very big deal. But why stay focused only on that. What about the Imprisoning War? The origins of the Dark Interlopers? And more related to this thread; the origin of the first races of Hyrule which are now extinct?

This game not only has the opportunity to evolve the franchise to new gameplay mechanics and game controls that only the Wii can do, but its timeline placement is also the perfect opportunity to return back to the basics of Hyrulean history and shed some light to many of the mysteries of Hyrule, in this case the origins, costums, habits and whatnot of many of the races of Hyrule that appeared only in the first 3D games. The point is that, this game been a prequel, to see the return of old races would not only be acceptable, it would make sense. (And it would be a welcomed addition.)

Would you imagine a Deku tribe in the Lost Woods? A Sheikah secret temple (and the true origin of this mysterious race?), and the Kokiri once again, maybe in a different form?

Not only SS would benefit itself to have many of those races and even some others we have not seen yet, to make a richer and engrossing world, but it would be a nice come back for these races that haven't been seen in a Zelda game, some since a decade ago.

I am personally looking forward to what SS can offer us gameplay wise, but also in the in-verse wise, this game has a lot of potential to give us a lot of many nice nostalgic moments, and also to shed some light on the history of many of the races in the Zelda Universe.

So, what do you think? Should SS make these races return? And if it does, what would you like to see about this races? Or should Nintendo feature new races and focus less on the old ones?

I'm starting to believe that SS will do to nostalgia what TP did for fan service. If that's true, then we'll pretty much be seeing everything you talked about-- going back to old characters that we haven't seen for years and the like. I personally really hope they go for this, since you are right about how the timeline placement makes it a perfect opportunity to do so. This, combined with the new 1:1 technology, can potentially make this game as revolutionary as OoT was in '98. However, I do hope they don't completely focus on this, like they did with fan service for TP, because they could end up with a bad attempt at nostalgia if it's too obvious. Nevertheless, I do think it's probable what you described.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
It makes perfect sense for SS to bring back those old races. I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't do so. It's the perfect chance for them to bring back a splash of the old days and remind us of the races that we missed and why we love them so. Plus, it's not like people who are new to Zelda would be totally confused about it either. But the hardcore fans would just die of amazement :3

However, I do think (or hope) we might see one new race that went extinct before OoT's time. That'd be very interesting....

I'm personally hoping to see the Gerudo and the Sheikah (the secret Sheikah temple idea that you mentioned sounds amazing).

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
There is a similar thread to this called "What races?". I'm pretty sure Nintendo will put Zora's and Gorons but I'm not so sure about the Kokiri or Gerudo. Maybe the Gerudo though.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Concerning the return of those races, this is my response.

YES!

But seriously, I definately would love to see the those races return in this game. Especially the Kokiri, they're my favorite (could you guess from my username?).

And quite honestly, I wouldn't care in the slightest if they left out the Gorons and Zoras in lieu of those older long forgotten races. They're overused anyway IMO.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that we'll just be stuck with the Gorons, Zoras, and Hylians like we usually are. :(

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
and quite honestly, i wouldn't care in the slightest if they left out the gorons and zoras in lieu of those older long forgotten races. They're overused anyway imo.

--gasp!-- not the zoras!!!!! I love those little fishy people!!!!

The Goron and Zoras are an important part of Hyrules history. SS can have them there, after all, that would make the world richer and more diverse. If Nintendo wants to create a full open world experience ala MM, they will need more races and more areas to explore. Aounuma was talking about maybe having some sort of reference to OoT. I was thinking that it would be nice to see the Zoras building the Water Temple. And from the Gorons, SS could expand the backstory of the Megaton Hammer. That hammer was sued by a predecessor of Darunia, and he used it to kill Volvagia. Wouldn't it be cool to see him there as the Goron elder? I would love those continuity nods! SS doesn't necessarily need to be a nostalgia fest, but having those little nods would truly feel like a nice touch. Considering how the Zelda timeline is all broken up, to have a game actually relate to another one would feel like a breath of fresh air. Especially to timeline theorists ;) Thats why I found ST and PH so enjoyable, especially because In could actually place them somewhere in the timeline and I didnt have to bump my head trying to figure out where they are placed!

about your comment on the deku's seen in skyward sword. they actually are'nt deku at all. its been confirmed that they are land octorocks like from the first game.

David

But you called me here...
I think it would be awesome for any of these races to return in SS. I love all of them. They would add so much to the game in terms of diverseness and nostalgia. I would love for them to return.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Yes, this is a fantastic idea. I myself thought of this before, but you worded it way better. I strongly feel that this could happen. We don't know too much of Skyward Sword, and haven't really made up our mind about it, and that's only because of the lack of knowledge of Skyward Sword. I think Nintendo has said this before, about the whole origins thing. Many races in the Zelda series are very interesting and mysterious. So Skyward Sword being "first"/before Ocarina of Time, means we could see the Deku Tree and the Kokiri once again, and I also really want to see the Gerudo again and know about their history and origins.

The Legend of Zelda is a series full of mystery and very interesting things, so I really want to see Skyward Sword sorta connect it all by telling us where they/it came from and why things are the way they are. Simply answer as many questions a prequel can. I just know when I first pop in that disc that reads "The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword" and see the menu for the first time, there will be a tear shed, and as I progress through the game, I will feel very nostalgic and remember my past Zelda adventures.

Completely agreed! :cool:

Actually, I think that basically any Zelda game has a HUGE potential for a good story, simply because of the incredible amount of mysteries and questions that surrounds the franchise. Zelda is the most (if not the only) highly discussed videogame series I know. Skyward Sword, being the first in the chronological order, has an even better position for this.

I really think Zelda has a lot of potential for storytelling and SS seems to go in that direction If they are goign to tell the origins of the Master Sword is obvious that the developers want to focus on the story and world of Zelda even more. Which I am entirely into it. The story doesn't need to be to complex, but they can still make a big, complex world just like MM did. I also think it would be cool if they add some other races like the Picori for instance, at least in a cameo form. That would be awesome. To interconnect the games and make you feel the Zelda world is big vast and mysterious is what SS can do, I think the time has come for Zelda to become even better.

I just cannot wait for this game!! :3

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I think that the lost races should all make an appearance at some point. I would personally love to see the Picori in Skyward sword as well as the Kokiri and Dekus. But I don't want Nintendo to try and cram too many races into one game. But it would be really good if there was a new race introduced into Skyward Sword aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom