• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Deku Babas

zeldafan123

Hero of the Lost Realm
We all know that Deku Babas are one of the first and easiest enemies to fight, but in OoT we had giant Deku Babas. But in SS the Deku Babas look the same size as they were in TP, so are there going to be any more giant ones. Also I've been wondering about the fact that besides Diababa there haven't been any Deku Baba bosses, so does anyone think that Nintendo will make any Deku Baba bosses. If you have any, ideas, theories or insults (expecting mostly them :) ) can you please leave them in the comments and I'll get back to you. (constructive criticsim welcome too)
In a Bizzle Bras.

Djinn

and Tonic
I would not make a final judgment on SS babas yet since we have only seen the intro beginners area of the game so far. There is no telling what might come later in the game and if there is some type of earth or forest temple in this game that might include any more babas of various types.

Really I do not think I have given any thought to the deku baba species in the context to the story. I have always considered them to be another part of the wildlife of Hyrule and not so much an actual minion of any villains. Just a common natural obstacle Link needs to fight when he is in a more wild area, and not so much a servant of Ganondorf since they have appeared in so many areas of the world. I suppose it could be said that Ganondorf or some other evil magic user created them or mutated them from a normal harmless plant into that to protect or guard a specific area. Or just to be mean as villains can sometimes be that way. Still a moblin or bokoblin might be able to perform the same duties with a little bit more intelligence than a plant that likes to bite things.

As far as bosses go, the was a plant boss in the original LoZ called Manhandla that was like a baba with four heads, one pointing in each direction.
BSManhandla.gif

That could be seen as a precursor to the later deku babas that appeared in OoT and after. The artwork depicting it in Four Swords makes it appear much more plant like than any of it's previous incarnations. And a better resembled a regular baba than even Diababa.
http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/e/e6/FS1.png

Throughout the series plantlike bosses have been rare. The only real problem with seeing a baba boss is that it would most likely have to be a boss of a forest dungeon. The original Manhandla was different since dungeons did not have common themes in LoZ, monsters were placed at random in the dungeons. Kalle Demos was the boss of the Forbidden woods in Wind Waker, Diababa of the Forest Temple, and another Manhandla was the boss of the forest in FS. Having a plant monster as the boss of the forest temple could be a tradition but the concept might get old a little too quickly if overused. Phantom Ganon and Odolwa both worked out fairly well as the bosses of the forest/jungle realms in OoT and MM so I see no problem with a little bit of variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom