• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Deities of The Zoras, Kokori and Gorons

VaatiWindMage24

Majoras Mask 3ds!!!!
honestly i have NO clue.....because if din was their goddess and such wouldnt zoras worship nayru and kokiris farore? and im 99% dure vollvagia isnt either because he ATE gorons so why would they ever worship him/her/it...but im noyt quite sure about dodongos eiither i agree w/ Djinn because they use dodongo stuff for things and he attacked gorons too in a way... maybe they will have some uknown deity that dies in skyward sword??? who knows... :(

Conor

the over analysing guy
My memory may be a bit foggy on volvagia, but actually looking at it, isn't there like no way that it could actually fit a Goron in it's mouth? Also, maybe the Gorons don't need a guardian deity, the Hylian's and Gerudo's do just fine without one, and that's WITHOUT being made of rocks.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
Well its pretty obvious for the Zoras and Kokiris...

But as for the Gorons the subject is a little bit more complex. Maybe they dont have a deity at all, think about the things that were special or important to them. Say the Goron's Ruby, they held it in the center of their "village" (cave,city,state, etc.) and apperantly each culture has its special with their spiritual stone. For the Zoras it is an engangement ring, and for the Kokiris...well it was really important to their deity so that has to count as something. Maybe they didnt worshipped it but it may be an important sign of their culture. All gorons are tatooed with the symbol of the rock.

Another possible deity is the "legendary hero" who used the hammer to defeat the mighty goron-eater monster (Volvagia). This may be well the best of the cases considering that Darunia is a descendant from him and he is the "big brother" of all gorons, as said by his son who carries your name, and a sage. Also to be named by Darunia legendary, must mean a lot since he is the leader.

The last of the possibilites is either the mountain itself, or the Great Fairy which are both very unlikely. The mountai, aside from being their home feeds them but yet this is not a reasonable enough reason to hail a mountain. And the Great Fairy, well there are mulitple of them, even if it resides at the very top of the mountain doesnt make her a queen, though Darunia makes an emphasis on her powers to help Link in his quest.

Conor

the over analysing guy
It's possible that biggoron is their deity? which is somewhat interesting, as the other two deities you were more involved with in the past hyrule as child link, while the opposite is true with Biggoron, maybe the true deity of the Goron's assuming there is one, also fits this pattern?

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I think Dodongo is their deity. Ganondorf did something (I forget what if they say it at all in the game) to make it angry and attack the Gorons but the Gorons said something about Dodongo suddenly getting violent so it could've been at least something along the lines of their deity before Ganondorf did whatever he did.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I looked and only on YouTube and found some stuff Darunia said:
"I can't believe that the Dodongos suddenly appeared in such great numbers! And that rock blocking the entrance of the cave... All this trouble must have been caused by that Gerudo thief, Ganondorf!"
If you play the game and actually talk to the rest of the Gorons they might say something but they might not have said that Dodongo suddenly got violent at all.

Conor

the over analysing guy
Oh well, I'll investigate a little next time I play Ocarina of Time, might just be another dead end, maybe they don't need a deity afterall haha.

One good way to learn about a culture is to look at their art. Now bear with me...
In Ocarina of Time we get a great depiction of Goron culture through Goron City which is adorned with art.
What themes do we see?
On the very top area we DO see what appears to be a dinosaur (more likely then not a Dodongo) blowing fire. Could this be a sign of a Deity? I don't think so. My reasons, besides the fact that in-game they are used for bomb bags and supplies and spoken of as dangerous, a nuisance and an enemy are that it appears no where else in Goron art.
Beneath the Dodongo drawing we see a depiction of Gorons. On the giant vase as a child we see Goron faces, in Darunia's room we see a statue of what is probably an ancient Goron warrior.
Look at what the Gorons even say, Darunia talks of being descended from a great Goron hero. He named his son after a strong and brave hero who saved his people. Darunia is called "Big Brother", not King or Elder or anything like that. A sign of trust and strength maybe?
It seems to me that Gorons do not have a "guardian deity" like the Deku Tree or Lord Jabu Jabu. They show a deep reverence for individuals and history in my eyes. That drawing is more then likely a depiction of some historical event. Maybe that skull in the cavern was it's remains and it was destroyed by a Goron or some hero they admired? Either way that's how I see their culture and why I don't think they have a guardian deity.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
One good way to learn about a culture is to look at their art. Now bear with me...
In Ocarina of Time we get a great depiction of Goron culture through Goron City which is adorned with art.
What themes do we see?
On the very top area we DO see what appears to be a dinosaur (more likely then not a Dodongo) blowing fire. Could this be a sign of a Deity? I don't think so. My reasons, besides the fact that in-game they are used for bomb bags and supplies and spoken of as dangerous, a nuisance and an enemy are that it appears no where else in Goron art.
Beneath the Dodongo drawing we see a depiction of Gorons. On the giant vase as a child we see Goron faces, in Darunia's room we see a statue of what is probably an ancient Goron warrior.
Look at what the Gorons even say, Darunia talks of being descended from a great Goron hero. He named his son after a strong and brave hero who saved his people. Darunia is called "Big Brother", not King or Elder or anything like that. A sign of trust and strength maybe?
It seems to me that Gorons do not have a "guardian deity" like the Deku Tree or Lord Jabu Jabu. They show a deep reverence for individuals and history in my eyes. That drawing is more then likely a depiction of some historical event. Maybe that skull in the cavern was it's remains and it was destroyed by a Goron or some hero they admired? Either way that's how I see their culture and why I don't think they have a guardian deity.
I still think that Dodongo could have been their deity. I looked at what all the Gorons were saying and they were saying that Dodongos appeared and Darunia called them "ancient creatures". I think King Dodongo wasn't in Dodongo's Cavern to begin with, and that Ganondorf put him there. They might have considered it like a deity for being so strong. That could be another explanation for the drawing of Dodongo in Goron City.
Also the Goron hero that the Gorons talk about killed Volvagia, not Dodongo. Volvagia was definitely the bad guy.

I still think that Dodongo could have been their deity. I looked at what all the Gorons were saying and they were saying that Dodongos appeared and Darunia called them "ancient creatures". I think King Dodongo wasn't in Dodongo's Cavern to begin with, and that Ganondorf put him there. They might have considered it like a deity for being so strong. That could be another explanation for the drawing of Dodongo in Goron City.
Also the Goron hero that the Gorons talk about killed Volvagia, not Dodongo. Volvagia was definitely the bad guy.

I know they talked about killing Volvagia, I was just saying the killer of the Dodongo (if that is indeed what that drawing is depicting) could have been another Goron hero.
I still don't think they worship them, as far as the ancient creature comment; we could call an evil demon an ancient creature as well. Doesn't necessarily denote warship. I would think if they did there would be more comments rather then something so ambiguous that would point to them looking to Dodongos in such a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom