• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Deities of The Zoras, Kokori and Gorons

In Axle the Beasts latest Curiosity Shop he said that he couldnt think of a Deity (exept Volvagia) for the Gorons. This got me thinking and I realised WHAT ABOUT THE GIANT DODONGO! Remember when you go to fight king Dodongo and you go in the Giant Dodongos mouth? This is stated to be REAL as there is a sign saying something about it being dead. Could this be the Gorons Deity? Maybe it'll lose control and we'll kill it in Skyward Sword?

Djinn

and Tonic
The dodongo was more of a nuisance for the Gorons since it blocked them off from their food source. I do not think they would have adopted one as their guardian deity. In FSA the Gorons were having trouble with the dodongos and needed Link's help in killing them. Since they use dodongo hides for the creation of things like the red tunic and use the bones of a massive one to mark the entrance of the cavern, I do not think they worship it in any way. They just use the leftover parts for items or decoration. There is nothing there to make it seem like the large skull was an object of worship in any way.

Although in Spirit Tracks they did have a goddess of the mountain that they kept an altar to and one Goron prayed to in the game. There is even a goron named Kagoron that acs as the messenger, very similar to Medlii and Valoo and Ruto and Jabu Jabu before.
"The last eruption blocked the way into the village. I fear the mountain goddess must be very angry.
"Kagoron is the mountain goddess's messenger. He is praying at her altar for a stop to the volcano's outbursts. But because of the eruptions, the path to the altar is very dangerous! Go with caution!" — A Goron

Considering the Goron's appreciation for strength and power, as well as being the guardians of the spiritual stone of fire, and worshipping a goddess of a mountain, they might be worshipping Din. Since Din was the goddess responsible for creating the mountains in the mythology of the game, as well as staining the earth red, and her spell in OoT was called Din's Fire. She has a strong connection to fire and earth.
"Din... With her strong flaming arms, she cultivated the land and created the red earth."
The Gorons have the same connection to fire, mountains, and strength. They live near the Fire temple in OoT, are unaffected by lava of the mountain, and in ST live in the Fire Realm of new Hyrule.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I would have thought Din for the Gorons, Nayru for the Zoras, and Farore for the Kokiri. The Hylians worship all three, perhaps having personal preferences for one or the other. But I think you're talking about guardians, not deities.

In that case, it's pretty obvious that it's the Deku Tree for the Kokiri, and Jabu-Jabu for the Zora. My guess is that the Gorons are so powerful and tough, that they don't need guardians... they take care of themselves (perhaps due to Din's influence?). The only creatures that deal with them are enemies, like Dodongos and Volvagia.

Djinn

and Tonic
I would have thought Din for the Gorons, Nayru for the Zoras, and Farore for the Kokiri. But I think you're talking about guardians, not deities.

In that case, it's pretty obvious that it's the Deku Tree for the Kokiri, and Jabu-Jabu for the Zora. My guess is that the Gorons are so powerful and tough, that they don't need guardians... they take care of themselves (perhaps due to Din's influence?). The only creatures that deal with them are enemies, like Dodongos and Volvagia.

Well in the Japanese version there is no difference between something like Din and the Deku Tree, they are both considered deities only on different levels. The problem comes from translating it to English as there is no large encompassing term for them such as kami. So Nintendo of Ameria uses several terms like spirit/deity/guardian interchangeably and it in turn confuses people into thinking that they are completely different types of entities. In the shinto system many small communities will have a local deity that looks over the prosperity of a village or region, and they will normally make some extraordinary natural object such as a large and old tree or a enormous rock as that object of worship. But they are not considered any different a god from the gods of heaven, normally the division is considered between noble gods of heaven and plebeian gods of earth. But in Hyrule this plays out in the form of a talking tree and large fish.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
wow, I think that this thread should be in the theories bit.
But the fact they "hire" you to kill the dodongo in OoT and also the fact the baby goron was scared of Dongorongo (half dodongo!) makes me think that they are enemies and ike Djinn said, they just use it's bones to mark the entrance. Something like that is also in the simpsons game (Neverquest).

Song of Storms

Blow Curses Away
My opinion are
Kokiri:Deku Tree
Gorons:Volvagia (Because dodongos are enemies!)
Zoras:Jabu-Jabu

and....

For link:Fierce Deity! lols

Hero of…. #s, I guess
You guys....

OP doesn't mean the Dodongo that you kill! (S)he means the Giant Dodongo that is dead whose mouth you enter to GET to the boss room in Dodongo's Cavern.

Pen

The game is on!
My opinion are
Kokiri: Deku Tree
Gorons: Volvagia (Because dodongos are enemies!)
Zoras: Jabu-Jabu

and....

For link:Fierce Deity! lols

Yeah, the Dodongos are enemies, but so is Volvagia! Volvagia even eats the Gorons! No, I don't think either the giant Dodongo or Volvagia is the deity of the Gorons, I don't have any clue at all. :(

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
You guys....

OP doesn't mean the Dodongo that you kill! (S)he means the Giant Dodongo that is dead whose mouth you enter to GET to the boss room in Dodongo's Cavern.

Who's OP?????????????????????????????????

Djinn

and Tonic
Who's OP?????????????????????????????????

They mean Original Post, as in the first post in this thread.

But I still would not consider the large dodongo skull anything special or worthy of worship since obviously it is dead. Either discovered in the cave or killed by a Goron warrior in the past. And is only used for a decoration signifying that you are entering the Dodongo's Cavern. Nothing else shows that it is meant for anything more, Gorons use dodongo scales for the production of things like the red tunic so dodongos are a commodity to them.They probably routinely kill them to manufacture goods and sell them. Any other time they use bombs and bombfruit to remove them from mines. Dodongos are more or less a large animal common to Hyrule with nothing truly special about them other than the fact that they have unusually thick hides. Nothing overly supernatural about them nor do they appear to be very intelligent, Link even had one as a riding mount in the oracle games.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Ah, thank you. Maybe the skull is just to show their triumph over the dodongos, or maybe it is just stone they have made to look like a dodongo skull.

Fiery Klongo

I Am Mardric
it says in the game that daurina attempted to kill volvagia after a hero with the magnaton hammer, sealed her in the volcano. if a goron hero sealed her it was probably to get rid of her, so why would she be their goddess?

S

Sheikah Guy

well i think volvagia was a nice happy subtarranean lava dragon and also the goron deity until one of the earlier carnations of ganon put a spell on volvagia to make him evil and eat goron's (Goron Pie anyone?_)

Big Octo

=^)
well i think volvagia was a nice happy subtarranean lava dragon and also the goron deity until one of the earlier carnations of ganon put a spell on volvagia to make him evil and eat goron's (Goron Pie anyone?_)
That has actually been proven false by the game. It is stated that Volvagia was always evil, and that a Goron hero used the Megaton Hammer to kill him. Now, I'm not sure by what you mean by earlier [in]carnations of Ganon, because there's only one Ganon. Back to the topic, Ganondorf revived the evil dragon that tormented the Gorons again.

"A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true! I know, because my dad is a descendant of the hero!" — Link the Goron (Ocarina of Time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom