• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Old or New?

• Old

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • New

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Am I the only one who misses the standard formula that we've had going on arguably since A Link to the Past? Does RPG work well with this universe or should we revert to the way the series was before?

I'll have a poll down below just to gather quantitative data on this.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
There shouldn't be a formula to Zelda games. To me, formula implies releasing something too similar over and over again with little meaningful change or innovation over time, something the Zelda games have been struggling with ever since they transitioned into the third dimension and started the lock and key method of moving through the world.

I like BotW a lot, but mostly because it subverts so much of the "traditional" Zelda game.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I like a mix of the two leaning toward new.
From the new I liked the ability to just explore a vast world with plenty to do. A story that isn't on a single track where I MUST go from points A, B, C but rather pick any of them and eventually make my way to another. A bit of customization is also nice with the dye shop in BotW and although not an actual mechanic you could somewhat simulate classes like warrior, mage, thief etc...
From the old:
I like the standard dungeons except for "get dungeon item, now solve all puzzles with said item" other than that I do enjoy how many temples feel they belong in their area as opposed to shrines which just felt copy pasted all over. I also like the versatility of items in the old games as opposed to runes. Part of the excitement of dungeons is finding the new item or any loot to find.

this is an hard question for me. honestly we should have a bit of both.I would like something where have dungeons to do and you have to do them to progress, however you can choose anyone to do in your own order, and maybe something like MegaMan where certain items in one dungeon would give you a advantage for another, but they're not required. And have a large overworld like BotW where if you don't feel like dungeon crawling, you can go do something different. I feel dungeons are better than just a ton of shrines copy pasted everywhere, just have meaningful dungeons and enjoyable side quests. But I will not deny the amount of freedom is amazing, but at the same time a bit overwhelming. Going to different parts of Hyrule, doing some quests and fun stuff along the way, arrive at a dungeon, beat it, then repeat, While also being able to just chill when you don't feel like doing dungeons.I would have the first chunk of dungeons required, then you would get the master sword, then do some other dungeons to build up your strength but there would be maybe 5 dungeons with only 2 specific ones with key items required to head up to where Ganon is, do the final dungeon, then beat Ganon. And obviously you can do those other optional dungeons before or after you beat Ganon.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I like a mix of the two leaning toward new.
From the new I liked the ability to just explore a vast world with plenty to do. A story that isn't on a single track where I MUST go from points A, B, C but rather pick any of them and eventually make my way to another. A bit of customization is also nice with the dye shop in BotW and although not an actual mechanic you could somewhat simulate classes like warrior, mage, thief etc...
From the old:
I like the standard dungeons except for "get dungeon item, now solve all puzzles with said item" other than that I do enjoy how many temples feel they belong in their area as opposed to shrines which just felt copy pasted all over. I also like the versatility of items in the old games as opposed to runes. Part of the excitement of dungeons is finding the new item or any loot to find.

Completely agree! I love BotW, It is my second favorite Zelda game, I love the world, the music, and especially the aspect of being able to choose where to go! You could be the prepared kind of Link, where you go and prepare all the stuff, get all the divine beasties, and THEN go defeat Ganon, or, you could be the courageous, but foolish Link who goes right to the castle with just some ragged clothes and a stick. Or you could be in between! The possibilities are endless!

Of course, every game has a flaw, and the shrines could’ve been better. They could’ve been fewer of them, giving the creators a chance to make them more unique. Like, they could at least have different kinds of entrances, but still keeping the same starry effect to them.

But, I still love other types of zelda games. My favorite zelda game is Twilight Princess. I love the story, the characters, and of course the world! I love the Twilight Realm, and the world of Light. I love the music too! I would love to see that Zelda game with a open world, like, just imagine exploring the Twilight realm freely, or exploring the beautiful forests, or lake Hylia! Imagine canoeing down rivers, and fishing!

But I also love the dungeons from games like TP and MM, their dungeons are so unigue, but the divine beasts seemed so alike, and not as many cool new enemies to battle. I wish they would've put some more enemies into BotW, like some ghosts types, like the mummies from MM in the canyon.

So, I would like to combine them into something amazing! take the open world from BotW, the cool new enemies in other Zelda games, the unique dungeons, and make a zelda game almost all fans would love! <3

There shouldn't be a formula to Zelda games. To me, formula implies releasing something too similar over and over again with little meaningful change or innovation over time, something the Zelda games have been struggling with ever since they transitioned into the third dimension and started the lock and key method of moving through the world.

I like BotW a lot, but mostly because it subverts so much of the "traditional" Zelda game.

Well, formulas provide the structure for any video game series and are the means for which all sequels will build upon later. Of course, you will have similarities and I guess, after some time, you will create burnout from then. Even with Assassin's Creed, another game series I enjoy, they recently introduced the RPG formula.

Of course, I don't think RPG is a new concept for the LoZ games. Zelda ll: The Adventure of Link was an RPG as well.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Well, formulas provide the structure for any video game series and are the means for which all sequels will build upon later. Of course, you will have similarities and I guess, after some time, you will create burnout from then. Even with Assassin's Creed, another game series I enjoy, they recently introduced the RPG formula.

Of course, I don't think RPG is a new concept for the LoZ games. Zelda ll: The Adventure of Link was an RPG as well.

I don't think Zelda has reached a point where it's close to an RPG. Even Breath of the Wild, which introduces actual sidequests, doesn't offer the player any meaningful control over interactions or the storyline. At most, it teases the idea of an RPG.

I don't think Zelda has reached a point where it's close to an RPG. Even Breath of the Wild, which introduces actual sidequests, doesn't offer the player any meaningful control over interactions or the storyline. At most, it teases the idea of an RPG.

This is true. It's not a true RPG, but we can call it an Action RPG since the world is already established and whatever autonomy you have is not meant to control the narrative but your own actions.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
While the "old formula" was getting intolerably stale, the heart and soul of the series has been utterly lost in recent installments.

The Zelda games were founded on the concept of discovery and adventure based on Shiggy's experiences as a child exploring the woods and caves around Kyoto. That sense of wonderment and discovery is gone in an era of copy pasted bokoblin camps, franchise shrines, never-ending piles of disposable loot and 601 collect-a-thons.

Mostly I miss the series' original aesthetic. Zelda used to have this wonderful olde worldly medieval aesthetic that made the lands of our adventure feel like an old regal place with grandeur and mystery, and hidden history.

Now it's this garish pastel hyper-stylized pop-art painting with faux-scifi constructs and special effects.

While the "old formula" was getting intolerably stale, the heart and soul of the series has been utterly lost in recent installments.

The Zelda games were founded on the concept of discovery and adventure based on Shiggy's experiences as a child exploring the woods and caves around Kyoto. That sense of wonderment and discovery is gone in an era of copy pasted bokoblin camps, franchise shrines, never-ending piles of disposable loot and 601 collect-a-thons.

Mostly I miss the series' original aesthetic. Zelda used to have this wonderful olde worldly medieval aesthetic that made the lands of our adventure feel like an old regal place with grandeur and mystery, and hidden history.

Now it's this garish pastel hyper-stylized pop-art painting with faux-scifi constructs and special effects.

I think this aesthetic that you highlight on was lost after Twilight Princess released. Skyward Sword was good but was entirely too linear for exploration-based gameplay and treasure hunting. I would enjoy a direct sequel to Twilight Princess rather than see a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild.

I'd more so go for the old.

Concepts like linearity have become dirty words in the open world movement gaming has had in recent years.

Suddenly every game needs choice and expansive open areas. People want to do things in random orders, narrative progression be damned (succinct narrative progression, at least).

What bugs me about open world and 'free' games is that you 'could' do the thing if you 'want' to but you don't 'have' to.
Things have less of a feel of immediacy and numerous narrative elements like tension and intrigue can be lost when you can do things out of order whenever you feel like it.

Open world and freedom of choice games aren't bad, but when there's a kingdom to save and you're playing a game to take part in a grand adventure I want to feel more like I have a reason to do things.

With the modern formula I'm not being pushed to do anything. The adventure will always be waiting, the stakes won't change, nothing will become more interesting and that sense of narrative progression being lost can really dilute my experience.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I think this aesthetic that you highlight on was lost after Twilight Princess released.
Yeah. TP really ran with it. TP's comparisons to OoT are apt but people never seem to mention how much it showcased the old game's aesthetic - which back then was mostly conveyed in concept and promotional art. OoT had plenty of that look as well, but TP was the last we ever saw of it.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Yeah. TP really ran with it. TP's comparisons to OoT are apt but people never seem to mention how much it showcased the old game's aesthetic - which back then was mostly conveyed in concept and promotional art. OoT had plenty of that look as well, but TP was the last we ever saw of it.

I dunno if TP's graphical style has aged all that well. It was an ugly game when it released in 2005 in the midst of that "realistic" era of gaming graphics, and the HD remaster only served to blow the muddy textures into high definition.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I dunno if TP's graphical style has aged all that well. It was an ugly game when it released in 2005 in the midst of that "realistic" era of gaming graphics, and the HD remaster only served to blow the muddy textures into high definition.

To me the art style didn't bother me, it seemed fine. I actually like the realistic style, it just fits with TP's darker theme, and so do the colors. I doesn't look bad to me. But that's just my opinion. :)

S

Seadragon

I'd like a mix. I think BotW was a big evolution of the series for the world and exploration. But it also was a big step down for dungeons, and the story was somehow even less interesting than normal. I'd like to have a world in the style of BotW's, with diverse dungeons like the other games have. And hopefully the stories/characters can keep getting more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom