• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Defining What Music is for Zelda Games.

dazzsheil

All Hail Shadow
Since I first played Adventure of Link,music has been my Second favorite aspect of the Zelda series(Behind gameplay) but what does this mean for the Zelda Universe? To me,music in a video game helps draw the atmosphere,it sucks you in and immerses you into the surroundings.my 2 favorite example,both from Ocarina of Time are the Forest Temple and Ganon's Tower(The thing inside the barrier).The Forest Temple is definetly Errie(However you spell that) and the music reflected that,it was spooky and haunting.Ganon's Tower on the other hand Did NOT Reflect Dungeon design,but as you went higher,the music gradually became louder and it built up the tension towards Links impending Final Battle against Ganondorf.In earlier games,music had very little purpose(Particulary AoL) but since the dawn of the 3D Zelda age,it seems music is a symbol of atmosphere.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Actually, the music did have as much of a role before the 3D era. I guess the common assumption would be that game developers back then didn't have much of a concern with atmosphere, but in my opinion, the 2D games did a REALLY good job with it, which would make me assume the opposite.

In my personal opinion, this is a good example of that:

[video=youtube;iC0KIrKIEYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC0KIrKIEYM[/video]

The legend part had a mysterious tone and the summary of the situation at Hyrule's Castle gets the tense vibe that it needs thanks to the music. To expand on that even more, I present you with the dungeon theme from The Legend of Zelda (NES, 1986). Another effective handling of atmosphere, even if a bit short from what the 3D games have achieved, in my opinion. Still, the point comes across to me, you are in a dangerous place and many monsters will try to kill you. (or at least that's how I say it strikes me :D)

I think that idea may come mainly from the fact that atmosphere became a much bigger factor for game designers with the coming of 3D graphics, but I still think that the 2D games did very well in that respect.

So, did the music have little purpose in those? I don't think so.

Last edited:

dazzsheil

All Hail Shadow
Actually, the music did have as much of a role before the 3D era. I guess the common assumption would be that game developers back then didn't have much of a concern with atmosphere, but in my opinion, the 2D games did a REALLY good job with it, which would make me assume the opposite.

In my personal opinion, this is a good example of that:

[video=youtube;iC0KIrKIEYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC0KIrKIEYM[/video]

The legend part had a mysterious tone and the summary of the situation at Hyrule's Castle gets the tense vibe that it needs thanks to the music. To expand on that even more, I present you with the dungeon theme from The Legend of Zelda (NES, 1986). Another effective handling of atmosphere, even if a bit short from what the 3D games have achieved, in my opinion. Still, the point comes across to me, you are in a dangerous place and many monsters will try to kill you. (or at least that's how I say it strikes me :D)

I think that idea may come mainly from the fact that atmosphere became a much bigger factor for game designers with the coming of 3D graphics, but I still think that the 2D games did very well in that respect.

So, did the music have little purpose in those? I don't think so.

You got me there,never thought about LoZ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom