• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Defeated Timeline (work in Progress...)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Whereas in LttP, all the thieves are male, and the base of operations is Kakariko (or is said to have been initially). That suggests that the dynamic went through quite some change, and the typically non-male-bearing tribe were no longer the prevalent thieves.
The Gerudo disappeared on the AT as well. I don't see what disappearing Gerudo has to do with branching timelines.

We're also led to understand that Ganon took a group with him when he first entered the Sacred Realm (possibly the still-loyal Gerudo), who never returned.
That version of the IW story was retconned by HH. LttP's story says he found his way in with his band of thieves, but HH says the Sages put him in there (alone).

The 3DS version arose after the devs seemed to solidify this idea of 3 timelines
I wouldn't be too sure of that. The DT seems like it could have been a last-minute solution. It wouldn't matter anyway, since they couldn't really change how the story played out in OoT 3D.

The maidens (LttP) were all Hylian. The intro to LttP shows 7 Hylian Sages. Ergo the sages awoken in the Defeated Timeline may not have been the same as the Sages awoken in playable OoT.

How do you explain the villages in zelda II being named after the original sages then? I can see nabooru and daruina being being honored, because they were both the leaders of their species, and probably had a big impact on the imprisoning war even though they might not have been sages according to this theory, but saria? the kokiri are small and helpless, many hylians didn't even seem to know anything about them in Oot. If the adventure as an adult the first time had hylian sages, why is saria remembered and honored? I really like the idea that link died as a child the first time around. and it makes sense with this theory, because link doesn't have any dreams/flashbacks of him as an adult, the only ones he remembers were when he was a child. I think that link died as a child after getting the master sword. which perfectly explains why rauru held hero of time link for 7 years, and not any of the other links, because he knew that link would not win if he didn't give link more time to get stronger. also I think that with link as a child he still began conquering the temple that you beat as an adult in Oot, explaining how we still got the sages. the only hole that I see is the fact that twinrova is alive and well in the oracle games. the only idea I have for this is that maybe they were only sealed, not killed, and that someone (maybe aganim) broke the seal. This adventure would be drastically different than Oot, but because of Rauru, which makes sense.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
The Gerudo disappeared on the AT as well. I don't see what disappearing Gerudo has to do with branching timelines.

And other than 3 traders the Goron species dispersed to places well beyond the Great Sea above Hyrule. And the zora were forced to adapt to the sky and became bird people. Then you've got less Hylian people as well (relegated to 'those with pointy ears'). There's also no more Kokiri, they all became Koroks. And let's not forget Hyrule sinking... A lot of things disappeared on the Adult Timeline and I'm not sure why that's supposed to really counter my point. A lot also disappeared on the Defeated Timeline, however there's still a Hyrule in that one.

That version of the IW story was retconned by HH. LttP's story says he found his way in with his band of thieves, but HH says the Sages put him in there (alone).

Fair enough. Though I'm still inclined to believe the Carpenters in the DT would have more than likely stayed on in that case, and phased out the female thieves over time.

How do you explain the villages in zelda II being named after the original sages then?

Simple answer: Malon, Talon, Tingle, Epona.

In Zelda 2, there's a town called Mido, IIRC. You might recall, but Mido didn't have anything to do with the sealing, with being a sage, or with, well, most anything important. Why's he praised?

Other than interviews where it's mentioned that the people were named after the towns, there's nothing to suggest, that I'm aware, that the names of these towns were ancient protectors, sages, or in any way people revered for their noble tasks. So either these towns took names from later folk who just-so-happened to share names (which wouldn't be unheard of, a lot of names are reused in this series), or like the divine prank, the names were bestowed as divine nostalgia.

I really like the idea that link died as a child the first time around. and it makes sense with this theory, because link doesn't have any dreams/flashbacks of him as an adult, the only ones he remembers were when he was a child.

We see only one flashback. We know that he's had dreams of recent, so the flashback wasn't a one-off, but we don't know the nature of any of the other dreams. This also, again, goes against what we're told in the HH. And, even if I don't like everything it's brought to the table, I accept it as a source.

I think that link died as a child after getting the master sword. which perfectly explains why rauru held hero of time link for 7 years, and not any of the other links, because he knew that link would not win if he didn't give link more time to get stronger. also I think that with link as a child he still began conquering the temple that you beat as an adult in Oot, explaining how we still got the sages.

Actually it doesn't. Like I've said previously, there's a lot of "the Hero of Time is like THIS" that gets said, despite there not being another Hero of Time before that point. That alone suggests the Defeated Link did get that far, even if he didn't succeed. It also makes no sense locking Link in a stasis for 7 years instead of letting him fight, since only one instance is really likely to make you stronger.

the only hole that I see is the fact that twinrova is alive and well in the oracle games. the only idea I have for this is that maybe they were only sealed, not killed, and that someone (maybe aganim) broke the seal. This adventure would be drastically different than Oot, but because of Rauru, which makes sense.

Since you don't see them in Hyrule next time you come across them, wouldn't it make more sense if they fled Hyrule? Granted that'd mean the only boss you face in the Spirit Temple is the miniboss in that case, but you'd get your loophole fixed, and still have your Sage.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Other than interviews where it's mentioned that the people were named after the towns, there's nothing to suggest, that I'm aware, that the names of these towns were ancient protectors, sages, or in any way people revered for their noble tasks. So either these towns took names from later folk who just-so-happened to share names (which wouldn't be unheard of, a lot of names are reused in this series), or like the divine prank, the names were bestowed as divine nostalgia.
We named them after towns in The Adventure of Link so it would appear that the towns had been named after them. emphasis mine

Like I've said previously, there's a lot of "the Hero of Time is like THIS" that gets said, despite there not being another Hero of Time before that point. That alone suggests the Defeated Link did get that far, even if he didn't succeed.
To me it suggests that the HoT was heavily prophesied.

Since you don't see them in Hyrule next time you come across them, wouldn't it make more sense if they fled Hyrule? Granted that'd mean the only boss you face in the Spirit Temple is the miniboss in that case, but you'd get your loophole fixed, and still have your Sage.
What would have changed to cause them to not flee on the AT then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom