- Dec 29, 2011
Oh yes I agree it's strange, but I do the same thing just to a much lesser extent. I think I've read Vanitas saying how the gameplay of Skyward Sword was amazing, and that this was why he still considered it a great video game. Personally this rationale makes sense to me because gameplay is such a ridiculously important part of video games. It's virtually the only element that's essential for a game to be a game. I know I'm different in that I care very little about story, graphics, music, etc., but from my perspective it's very possible for a person to complain about the things Vanitas is complaining about and still consider the game good overall.
For instance I'm starting to think that if I ever reviewed a game that I would weigh its gameplay at least 90% leaving 10% for everything else. So if a game nailed the gameplay it could still be great even if it whiffed on everything else. I don't think Skyward Sword had a bad story, graphics, or characters (among the many things said) like Vanitas does though. Almost all of my complaints are somehow gameplay related.
Both you guys make excellent points. I would agree that there were several aspects in which Skyward Sword was promising. I loved the upgrade system and characters specifically a lot out of what you two mentioned. Another thing that Skyward Sword returned to that was almost entirely absent in Twlight Princess was the returning to parts of the world. I liked going to the provinces again to discover something new. I shouldn't have made it an all or nothing proposition of disagreeing with the game designers on pretty much everything because there were a ton of things that I either agreed with or had no problem with. It's just that there were tons of missed opportunities (Axle had an article a while back just about this), lacked options (can only skip cutscenes in one mode- why?; have to see a notification for treasures/bugs everytime you reset the game-why?; have to use motion controls for virtually everything including swimming; etc.), and for me most importantly they flushed away so much potential replay value by making the game more linear than necessary. IMO Skyward Sword is good for one amazing playthrough, and then it loses a ton of its value. I have been trying to pinpoint why I felt like my first playthrough of Skyward Sword was up there with any of the games, and then for instance why my sixth playthrough of ALTTP or my twentieth playthrough of OOT or even my second playthrough of Adventure of Link absolutely blew away my second playthrough of Skyward Sword.
vanitas did say the gameplay was topnotch, but then he said that they failed nearly in every department. He also said SS is a "subpar Zelda" just like TP, that it lacked elements to be a good Zelda game, and that Nintendo really messed up with this game. So I don't think he feels the game is good at all. Or maybe he's exaggerating how much he actually hates the game.
As for replay value, OoT has the least replay value for me. I played the game once (felt more obligated to finish it just because it was OoT. It wasn't as fun as the other 3D Zeldas BUT it is still a great game). Still, I bought the game on 3DS as well. Played the first 5 mins and haven't touched it. I'm going to finish it because I feel an obligation to play the updated version, and I do like the graphics upgrade, but it doesn't give me as much of a motivation to go through like SS, which i'm playing on Hero Mode. I didn't like OoT's gameplay as much as it felt pretty cut and dry (but I loved the instrument), and there were flaws that bothered me. Linearity doesn't effect replay value. If a game is linear then I look at how well it's done. If it's nonlinear, I also look at how well it's done. Nonlinearity didn't benefit me or interest me in OoT. The only times I probably care about nonlinearity is if doing stuff a different order will give me like a different ending. SS's gameplay impressed me so much and made the game the most fun for me.
I do agree that ALttP has a lot of replay value (played it so much as a kid, but that was a long time ago).