• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Debating

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Do you enjoy debating with other people? Or does it make you uncomfortable? If you do enjoy it, do you prefer doing it with friends or anonymously on the internet?

Ninja

Well well well
I only debate about certain things I'm extremely passionate about, or have sufficient knowledge to actually debate.

I'm not a big fan of debating with anyone, especially online for that matter because at the end of the day, opinions are opinions, and I don't feel that is worth a substantial part of my time to try and sway someone's mind on topics.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I like debating especially if the opponent is knowledgeable. I find the more you debate the better you become at it. And you often end up learning more about a particular topic by the end of the discussion.

I find Anonymous people online tend to be poor partners for debate if your goal is to convince them to come over to your way. Many won't listen to reason and resort to petty insults when they can't beat you. I often find this amusing and if I can wind them up further that's usually pretty fun.

What about you @Nines ?

If the subject matter is literally brought up just to belittle an opponent and their side of the debate is literally defending themselves as a human being, count me out. If the subject matter is pointless and isn't going anywhere, count me out. If the subject matter is intended to be a circlejerk between a bunch of self-righteous ****heads, count me out.

I'd debate more if the people involved in the debates were actually suited for debates and not trolling. Bye.

Misty

Ronin
I feel like I'm constantly evolving on this topic:

If you'd asked me this question even two years ago, I would have been like "absolutely, the marketplace of ideas is an important place and bringing your ideas there and seeing if they can stand up to the discernment and questioning of others and etc. etc. etc.". I was a poster child for it, I argued in class, I argued with friends, I argued online, whatever, yes. It didn't give me anxiety, it was a rush.

Now, I gotta be honest, it seems like a big wank fest that makes everyone their worst self for no real gain. For the smart and aggressive types, it's just an ego fest at the expense of the weak-minded or ill-informed. In any other setting you'd call them bullies, but because it's the marketplace of ideas it's ok to ridicule and nuke the weak. For the emotion driven just stating my opinion types it's a place to monologue for validation of their ideals and attention. For the ill-informed and weak minded, it's a place to get brutalized while they're trying to learn and unless they develop a thick skin quickly, nothing good will come of it.

That's not even addressing the waste of time aspect. When I seriously put arguing with people on any topic against the same amount of time spent doing literally almost any other task it just looks ludicrous. Let alone the really noble tasks like helping the weak, caring for others, self-improvement, etc.

At this point, I try to avoid it like the plague. I don't always succeed, obviously, there is a siren call element to it for me, but I'm hoping in another few years it'll be like "Why would I bother to correct another human about that?"

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I try to avoid debates, because they usually devolve into **** flinging fests and constantly interrupting and insulting your opponent.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I like to see all sides of any opinion and keep an open mind. Although I don't always agree I find it fascinating to hear someone else's perspective on a topic and will try not to knock them down at the end of the day my opinion is just as valid as theirs . so I tend to watch debating more than participate unless it's a topic I'm passionate about. But I would never try to force someone to see my side instead of theirs (not sure this makes sense :s)

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I like to debate. Unfortunately most people have an antagonistic response to having their ideas challenged. I've long ago stopped insisting that I mean no harm (heaven forbid I damage someone's delicate sensibilities!) so nowadays if I bring up a topic for debate and someone gets defensive I just let it go unless I feel the issue is really vital in which case I hardly care who I piss off or how. I don't like having malicious arguments though. I try to refrain from name calling unless the target of my ire has proven themselves hopeless to reception or has insulted me one too many times. But that's hardly debate then anyway, is it?

It is rare that I can actually find someone I disagree with who can hold a proper debate without responding defensively or employing argumentative fallacies. When I do I relish in it while I can! I think it's good sport and a lost art. Most people seem to approach debate looking for a fight and to 'win'. Those people have the wrong idea. There doesn't even have to be a point to debate beyond debating simply for the sake of.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
It depends on the topic, but certainly not about anything political. I try not to reveals anything about my political ideals to anyone but close friends; it's an easy way to ruin any friendship. If someone brings up a political topic casually in conversation, I'm usually fine with smiling and nodding, because I'm pretty moderate and can at least find validation for their beliefs most of the time, whether I agree with it or not.

If its about something fun like video games, music, or the correct definition of the word "meme," then I'm all over it!

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I like debating especially if the opponent is knowledgeable. I find the more you debate the better you become at it. And you often end up learning more about a particular topic by the end of the discussion.

I find Anonymous people online tend to be poor partners for debate if your goal is to convince them to come over to your way. Many won't listen to reason and resort to petty insults when they can't beat you. I often find this amusing and if I can wind them up further that's usually pretty fun.

What about you @Nines ?

I'd say I feel similarly to you. I like debating with a knowledgeable opponent, but I actually enjoy an online/anonymous debate as well. Usually because people make themselves look like total idiots and it can give me a good laugh. :P

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom