• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Death Sword - What is It?

Subzerostupid

Subzerostupid
First, the reason i haven't put this in zelda theory is because it isn't really developed enough to be a theory in my opinion and it's more of a 'finding out what others think' deal.

Now onto the actual post:
Recently, i've been replaying twilight princess and just beat the arbiter's grounds again. When fighting Death Sword, the dungeon's miniboss, i found myself wondering what exactly it is.
I have a couple of ideas, but nothing of any real note. It looks to have been sealed there, given the ropes binding the sword before you fight it. It's only natural to assume that the sages were the ones who bound it there. Seeing as we can only at first see it with our wolf senses, it's likely that it was only alive because the sages could not see the being itself, so were not able to harm it.
Of course, this still begs the question of what it actually is. As we see it originally with wolf senses, it's possible that it is some form of advanced poe, drawing power from something/one, possibly the sword itself. Considering the abnormally large poes in the arbiter's grounds (the 4 which steal the flames), it is possible that there was another poe which found the sword and linked it's soul to the sword. Maybe the sword's power is what the sages were sealing as opposed to the being using it.
While this is possible, there are two major flaws to it:
First, there is no physical evidence connecting Death Sword to the poes.
Second, once Death Sword is defeated, the sword itself explodes like many other enemies, rather than falling to the floor waiting for another weilder. This suggests it has a much stronger connection to the being weilding it.

My next thought was that the being was created by the sword as a means of either defending itself or just to start causing havoc, while playing with people's instinctual fears, hence why the being burst into bats/flies (i couldn't really tell). This fits nicely with my thoughts that the weapon's power was the threat being sealed.
From here, i thought about what the sword could be and where it might have come from. Now, an evil sword sounds like a pretty decent description of Demise's Dark
Master
Sword. Despite the swords looking wildly different, this may be a similar effect as that describing Demise's appearance:
that he is different to each person who lays eyes on him.

Before i finish, i would like to say that i don't think we'll ever get an answer for who/what Death Sword is, but it's fun to think about.
In short, i think Death Sword is Demise's sword defending itself by conjouring a being to fight using some remnant of (possibly Demise's) power, playing on people's fears and with a desire to wreak destruction and havoc.
Two questions to finish:
what do you think of my crackpot idea?
what do you think Death Sword is?

I made a recent Theory thread relating to this. I'll first post my thoughts below.

An arbiter is another word for a "judge". It would logically follow that the Arbiter's Grounds was a place for judgment during its better days. But what exactly occurred to turn it into the overrun mess it becomes when Link stumbles across it? In the cutscene following completion of the dungeon, the sages note that they have guarded the Mirror of Twilight since ancient times. This directly leads to the thought that perchance the sages used the area to execute those who tried to usurp the power of the mirror. Given his name, it's possible the "Death Sword" performed such functions.

Now onto your theory.

Demise's sword was created from Ghirahim's body in his third and final form. The sword vanished into ashes along with Demise upon his defeat in Skyward Sword. I highly doubt Demise's Master Sword so to speak would return as a petty miniboss in a later game on the timeline. Demise's final words are:

An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!

Demise, however, as a physical entity ceases to exist at the end of Skyward Sword. This heavily suggests that subsequent villains are not his reincarnation but rather merely influenced by his demonic spirit which continues to haunt the flow of time.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
A _LINK_IN_TIME is rigth, Ganon has been the only villian besides Demise to hold Demises sword i dont think the sword thats the master weapon of evil would end up as a simple MiniBoss

Subzerostupid

Subzerostupid
I made a recent Theory thread relating to this. I'll first post my thoughts below.

An arbiter is another word for a "judge". It would logically follow that the Arbiter's Grounds was a place for judgment during its better days. But what exactly occurred to turn it into the overrun mess it becomes when Link stumbles across it? In the cutscene following completion of the dungeon, the sages note that they have guarded the Mirror of Twilight since ancient times. This directly leads to the thought that perchance the sages used the area to execute those who tried to usurp the power of the mirror. Given his name, it's possible the "Death Sword" performed such functions.

Now onto your theory.

Demise's sword was created from Ghirahim's body in his third and final form. The sword vanished into ashes along with Demise upon his defeat in Skyward Sword. I highly doubt Demise's Master Sword so to speak would return as a petty miniboss in a later game on the timeline. Demise's final words are:

Demise, however, as a physical entity ceases to exist at the end of Skyward Sword. This heavily suggests that subsequent villains are not his reincarnation but rather merely influenced by his demonic spirit which continues to haunt the flow of time.

hmmm. I knew it was very far-fetched. I always like the idea that demise's sword wasn't destroyed, but was warped away somewhere. Otherwise, yeah. I know I had no actual evidence, but hey. Anyway, I like your thinking, but I'm still trying to think what the entity of the sword's wielder actually is.

I don't what to dismiss it as a simple banshee like markasscop, because I think it has a bigger significance than other mini bosses, as I believe it was involved in the goings on in the Arbitere's Grounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom