• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dear White People

So I'm thinking about seeing Dear White People but I want to know if it is good or not. has anybody here seen it?

Garo

Boy Wonder
I liked it a lot. It was a very clever examination of racial identity in an increasingly progressive campus culture (when it comes to race, at least). It's much more early Spike Lee - think Do The Right Thing - than any modern films starring black leads have been (looking at you, Kevin Hart), and that's a wonderful change of pace. It feels very different from anything else in Hollywood right now, because Justin Simien is unlike any other voice in the industry. It's not a "white-people-learn-about-racism" movie like so many Oscar-baity films have been (LOOKING AT YOU CRASH); it's not a "aren't black people funny?!" movie like so many of Tyler Perry's reductive comedies. It's a genuine "what is it like to be black in America's university system today" film and that's wholly interesting.

Basically, go see it. It's funny and it's interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom