• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Darkness in the Heart

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
For generations there has always been talk of the concept known as ""Darkness". While many in this generation perceive it as just a "dark empty space", it has been in olden times been refered to as something that is evil or negative. That "hurt" or "pain" that is in the deepest areas of ones heart. So then brings 2 questions.

What is your perception of "darkness"? What is your perception of "heart"?

I feel like I've been playing too much Kingdom Hearts, but it has at least got me thinking into what these things truly are. Peoplle percieve reality to be something much bigger then it would seem, many people don't know what reality is. Just like we can't comprehend darkness and the hold it has over people's hearts. Both hearts and darkness happen to be things that are hard to explained, it's more like you must "feel" them already to know what they are.

Does darkness drench this planet? As we see nothing but wars and sabotage, and disease. It would seem clear that there is very little light left, kids think about drugs, sex, tatoos and phones all the time, we are witnessing a new age come before us, an age full of people with nothing more then utter darkness in their hearts as they are deprived of what makes us human.

Taken as inspiration from a thread titled "Good vs Evil" I feel that darkness is destroying what little light remains in this world. So, is talk about darkness and light really figurative?

Personally, darkness is anything which strays someone's heart towards the path of evil. This is usually manifested in the form of grudges and hate. The purpose of criticism is to ensure people better themselves but hate is always unwarranted. It's these malignant sentiments we harbor which trigger strife across the globe.

By nature humans are destructive creates but violent notions can certainly be alleviated. This can be achieved through teaching others' tolerance, a movement initiated since the dawn of time and recently augmenting in scope. Sexism, racism, hate crimes, discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, are all whims which must be done away with. That's speaking from a romantic, optimistic standpoint, however. Negativity will always exist in this world; controlling it though can reduce perceived global darkness.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
You can't control the hate this world sees, because from the dawn of man there has always been darkness, darkness is what started everything, regardless if you're religious or a evolutionist, we can all agree that darkness is what we started out with. And darkness can't be controlled.

It's why we will continue to deal with the same things you've mentioned. Since darkness is what we started out with, then darkness will forever remain as something that is apart of human nature. If it were possible to deprive us of this darkness, would the world truly be in a better position?

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
Darkness to me is not much different than ALIT's. There are people in this world with hearts full of hate, contempt for anything or anyone different from them that they feel hatred and suffering towards them is justified, and people who are just agrivated at any thought different from their's all has immense darkness in their hearts and can be some of the most evil people on the planet.

Heart is forgiveness and I mean true forgiveness. Bygones really being bygones and not just a "I'm just gonna ignore you most of the time or just talk **** about you behind your back from now on". No, I mean REAL forgiveness and peace. To obtain it can be hard especially if you do have a lot of evil and darkness in your heart.

Caring about others no matter what also shows heart. Not a lot of people do this nowadays either. They'll look at a person and be like "They're not like me so I'm not gonna help or associate with them". To look beyond a person's appearence, beliefs, or bumpy history and just helping them or caring about them shows great compassion and heart within an individual.

Last edited:
tysonrrs said:
If it were possible to deprive us of this darkness, would the world truly be in a better position?
The key word here is "if". Humans will never reside in a utopia devoid of darkness due to competition. It's largely a human construct. Wars exist because people struggle for control of limited resources, be it food, water, shelter, or land. People advance their own selfish interests in order to enjoy a life of comfort. Unfortunately, gain for one usually means loss for another. It's the bleak reality of the world we live in. For example, increasing funding for education would require curtailing of expenses in public transportation or social welfare in order to maintain a balanced budget.

Why do modern political parties exist? Interest groups seek to promote their own "ideal" views of the world. When gains are made by one side, the opposing forms a buffer to prevent further alterations from their preconceived notion of society at large. It's a never ending pendulum of conflicting schematics for the future. The pendulum swings too far in one direction, it returns towards the origin and pushes towards the other.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Darkness to me is not much different than ALIT's. There are people in this world with hearts full of hate, contempt for anything or anyone different from them that they feel hatred and suffering towards them is justified, and people who are just agrivated but any thought different from their's all has immense darkness in their hearts and can be some of the most evil people on the planet.

Heart is forgives and I mean true forgiveness. Bygones really being bygones and not just a "I'm just gonna ignore you most of the time or just talk **** about you behind your back from now on". No, I mean REAL forgiveness and peace. To obtain it can be hard especially if you do have a lot of evil and darkness in your heart.

Caring about others no matter what also shows heart. Not a lot of people do this nowadays either. They'll look at a person and be like "They're not like me so I'm not gonna help or associate with them". To look beyond a person's appearence, beliefs, or bumpy history and just helping them or caring about them shows great compassion and heart within an individual.
And thus is the very exact reason why I have stated that the light within this world is vanishing.

I've been different my whole life, and barely anyone has accepted me, darkness will never end because people will continue to be envious and mean, casuing darkness to grow in the hearts of others.

Very rare will you find someone with a pure heart, a heart that wants to help others no matter their differences or race or whatever it is that makes them different. And I'm not talking about people who help to just get attention from others like the media, I mean people that help because they really want to, because their hearts commanded them to.

lazarusryu said:
Technically speaking, it's impossible to care for someone no matter what. Think about the people dearest to you in life. There has no doubt been a time you've been angry or fed up with their beliefs or behaviors. True manifestation of "heart", however, is the realization that forming meaningful relationships with others alleviates amnesty and leads to a better existence not only for yourself but those around you.

That said, bigotry against others for possessing opposing views is also a display of "heart" albeit in a radically different form. People fight for their beliefs, rhetorically and physically, because those notions are meaningful to them. The problem here arises from the differing perceptions of the person espousing hate and its victim. In that case, a compromise must be reached, which benefits all involved the most.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
And thus is the very exact reason why I have stated that the light within this world is vanishing.

I've been different my whole life, and barely anyone has accepted me, darkness will never end because people will continue to be envious and mean, casuing darkness to grow in the hearts of others.

Very rare will you find someone with a pure heart, a heart that wants to help others no matter their differences or race or whatever it is that makes them different. And I'm not talking about people who help to just get attention from others like the media, I mean people that help because they really want to, because their hearts commanded them to.
It is a terrible fact of life too. I've been judged by others by being different not even over my eccentricities but just because I wasn't like them. I try my best in life to not make those same mistakes and always try to look beyond the outer.

Technically speaking, it's impossible to care for someone no matter what. Think about the people dearest to you in life. There has no doubt been a time you've been angry or fed up with their beliefs or behaviors. True manifestation of "heart", however, is the realization that forming meaningful relationships with others alleviates amnesty and leads to a better existence not only for yourself but those around you.

That said, bigotry against others for possessing opposing views is also a display of "heart" albeit in a radically different form. People fight for their beliefs, rhetorically and physically, because those notions are meaningful to them. The problem here arises from the differing perceptions of the person espousing hate and its victim. In that case, a compromise must be reached, which benefits all involved the most.
It can be impossible and I do struggle sometimes but at the times that I succeed makes my whole endevour worth it. To help a person that does not look like me and that I am thoroughly idiologically against is one of the greatest feelings I ever had. Hating is the easiest thing in the world. Being kind and helping those who you've had a bad history with, don't like how they look, or don't believe in anything they believe is extraordinarily difficult but VERY gratifying.

This ties into what I said on my Good and Evil thread. By 'Darkness' I assume you mean Evil more or less, correct?
I reject that for a couple reasons.

1. Who is the arbiter of what is Good and Evil? You mentioned kids into "drugs, sex, tatoos and phones". As far as the first three, what makes them inherently 'dark'? Besides not wanting kids to do something they may regret when they are older, what about those things are inherently bad? As for phones I am not sure what you meant there.

2. I reject the idea of Good and Evil because I believe those are just words and concepts humans have created to try and explain the world. I believe that any flaws in our society and psyche are a result of evolutionary process. Evolution is a process and despite what some would think not all evolution is positive. Some of the things we may have needed when we were nomadic peoples numbering in the thousands do not mesh with todays society. I think all the strife in the world can be attributed to the fact that we are simply animals, slaves to our biological functions. I am not pessimistic though in that I think even with all the crap today that things are better then they were say 100 years ago. Humans are a resourceful and adaptable species and I find that quite admirable.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
1. Who is the arbiter of what is Good and Evil? You mentioned kids into "drugs, sex, tatoos and phones". As far as the first three, what makes them inherently 'dark'? Besides not wanting kids to do something they may regret when they are older, what about those things are inherently bad? As for phones I am not sure what you meant there.
They don't make them "dark" per se, but these things in itself can drive you into the deepest darkness. From birth, we are systematically programmed to do things that fit with the status quo of what you may call our "evolution", such as trying to fit in with others so we do the things that others as a whole do to avoid being different and looked down upon. We're programmed to believe in certain things that are shown on tv, in reality, tv is doing the thinking for us and personifying us. That's why many people today are really just mindless shells, doing everything that others do to fit in. No one barely has the "heart" anymore to follow what is truly within their heart, things that make themselves happy are dissuaded into something that is more illusional to cater to their mindsets of fitting in. This is why being programmed at a young age to believing and doing things that involve drugs and sex and even getting tatoos(to fit in of course)can all lead to darkness. Trying to fit in with people leads to darkness. Why? Because people are constantly doubting themselves out of fear of being different.

But being different itself leads one into darkness, it has me because of the fact that I can't accept myself as being different.

And so, no one can truly escape the darkness. As it has always been there, and is apart of of us.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I'd argue that the perceived "darkness" in the hearts of "good" people is simply a case of cognitive dissonance, remnants of a human's inherent sense of moral relativity conflicting with their societal understanding of morality. They've been conditioned to know that these things are bad, yet in their deepest subconscious the relative nature of all actions lies dormant, waiting for the right panic-stricken moment to surface.

I think I understand what your saying. I pretty much agree, though my views are more optimistic than yours.

I posted on my other thread why I don't like the Good and Evil thing, and how I prefer to use a Positive, Neutral, and Negative model. Our actions have certain implications, they can be Positive (Good), Negative (Evil) or simply have no effect at all, which would be Neutral.

In this thread I would characterize Darkness as actions which create Negative consequences. I think a lot of people do give in to this, the reason I think is a lack of eduction. Some willful some not. Our basic biological package was not built for our current world environment. Society and technology changed faster then our biological wiring did. We are made to survive in what the world was like thousands of years ago. We can never fully escape our wiring. That being said, education can allow us to better understand ourselves and the implications of our actions on the human race and world as a whole. I do think positives are being made in that regard, and I think our world is actually get better in many ways, though the journey is long and far from over.

The solution to the world's woes are an educated populace.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
How would being educated help the world trim down on the darkness in their hearts? There will always be envy, hate and immorality. The best thing I can see is it being supressed, though I guess education can help bring people together, it certainly is a long shot and a naive one at that.

I'm going to throw out a guess and say that you just read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness?

Anyhow, I'm not so convinced that human's are inherently dark, even though you make fatalistic statements like "There will always be envy, hate and immorality. The best thing I can see is it being suppressed, though I guess education can help bring people together, it certainly is a long shot and a naive one at that".

Yes, although the Stanford Prison Experiment (look it up) and a whole other bunch of psychological studies have shown that people can be absolutely despicable, I think that human beings are inherently good. I think a good example would be Wikipedia, since Wikipedia is completely open to editing. If people were as bad as you say they were, Wikipedia would be either a flaming pile of ****, or completely empty. Instead, its a comprehensive compendium of human knowledge, that is at least semi-legitimate. And sure their are moderators, but their power is relatively limited.

How would being educated help the world trim down on the darkness in their hearts? There will always be envy, hate and immorality. The best thing I can see is it being supressed, though I guess education can help bring people together, it certainly is a long shot and a naive one at that.
It's no coincidence that the best off and freest nations in the world are those with a solid educational system. Knowledge is everything. I don't mean 2+2 or learning how to read this sentence (though that is important too) but rather to the greater understanding of what it means to be human. An understanding of how we work and how we tick. If we understand our natural selves, our inherent humanity, we can better use it to shape us and the world around us in a positive way. I am not the only person to think this way, John Dewey, one of the great American philosophers, said that no democracy can be true without an educated populace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom