• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dark Souls 1 (& 3) homage to Zelda series?

Others have connected the Abysswalker with Twilight Princess's Link via the wolf similarities.

While others have compared Farron Keep to Faron Woods from Twilight Princess being that they're both similarly named and have the whole corrupted forest state with a poison swamp.

But I'd like to posit that there's more connections between the fallen kingdom of Oolacile and the Twilight Realm of Twilight Princess.
Princess Dusk could be compared to Midna the Twilight Princess. The obvious being dusk and twilight are synonyms for each other.

More than just that surface connection there's the fate's of both of their kingdoms.
In Dark Souls lore, Oolacile is an ancient kingdom whose sorcerers dabbled in "golden sorcery." The term golden is ever present in the world of Hyrule with the golden goddesses and the triforce.

In Twilight Princess's lore, the ancient Hylians had something known as the "Interloper War" where those using black magic attempted to gain the golden triforce by invading the sacred realm.

They were banished to a realm of darkness, the "twilight realm" much like in Dark Souls' Oolacile history where they were overtaken by the abyss for their seeking of this dark sorcery and golden magic.
The hero of Dark Souls 1 travels to the past of the kingdom of Oolacile which in itself could be argued as an homage to the Legend of Zelda in that the hero of that series seems to be always traveling between worlds and time periods.

By the events of Dark Souls 3, the former kingdom of Oolacile no longer exists and in its place is The Abyss which is held back in part by the Abysswatchers of Farron Keep.

During the events of Twilight Princess, the Farron Woods seems to be in a state of limbo just barely holding back the world of the Twilight Realm with its dark histories.

Here are some sources that I used to make this theory:

http://soulslore.wikidot.com/data:oolacile
https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Interloper_Conflict

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
destructoid says:
"

In an interview with Glixel, Miyazaki stated, "If there are similarities, they probably stem from the fact that The Legend of Zelda became a sort of textbook for 3D action games." It's funny how certain games become shining examples of their genre and never seem to be topped in terms of innovation.

As for the comparison, Miyazaki added, "When I was a student, The Legend of Zelda was truly monumental. So to be perfectly honest, I feel deeply unworthy of the comparison." Miyazaki then states that the focus of each game is what truly differentiates them. "Our goal was to allow players to do what they want, define their own goals, make their own discoveries, embrace their own values, and find their own interpretations."

"

A really beautiful video that expounds more on the subject of the Abyss. There's mention of a kingdom being flooded to prevent the spread of an ancient corruption. There's biblical flood story, but I think one could apply Windwaker's flood story too.

Also, the enemies corrupted by the Abyss look quite similar to the Twilight monsters.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
This is more of a case of "simpsons did it first" obviously theres gonna be similarities because Zeldas been out for 30 years near as dammit so it's had a hell of alot of ground covered, sorry to say though that i doubt it's a homage or anything just a case of zelda more or less did it first and likely pretty instrumental to how some games are done.

Think yer overreaching to be fair and this isn't really a theory more of a general question

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom