• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Dark or Light? Maybe Humor?

VeryCrazy

Escape if you can...
I wonder if Zelda U will go for a dark overtone like Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess or a more upbeat one like in Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time. In my opinion, Majora's Mask did dark awesomely. On, the other hand, Twilight Princess was just... weird dark... But I also like upbeat, funny Zelda games as well (especially Wind Waker). What do you think it will be and what would you rather it be?

i think its gonna be more middle of the road in terms of humour and darkness. We've seen nothing yet to suggest an over abundance of humour, nor a darkness... however we'll see both i'm sure.

There are bound to be creepy places in a world so big as well as light hearted characters. But i dont think it'll tip in either direction i think it'll be rather balanced.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Considering the art-style they've gone with, very stylized and bright, I'd assume the story and world won't be too dark, either. And I'd rather that, too.

VeryCrazy

Escape if you can...
are we talking graphics or plot?

Both.

i think its gonna be more middle of the road in terms of humour and darkness. We've seen nothing yet to suggest an over abundance of humour, nor a darkness... however we'll see both i'm sure.

There are bound to be creepy places in a world so big as well as light hearted characters. But i dont think it'll tip in either direction i think it'll be rather balanced.

Yeah, I agree that it will probably be sort of in the middle. Personally, I hope that it's light-hearted on the outside but has dark secrets within, sort of like that creepy well in peaceful Kakariko Village in Ocarina of Time.

VeryCrazy

Escape if you can...
I noticed a little Wind Waker in there too... But, yeah, I agree with you. It is a little early. I'm just interested since dark and light are such important things in the Zelda world.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
TP is less dark than OOT.
In OOT quite a few characters die, Deku tree, the hylian guard, a few Town residents, Grog.
You also have the bottom of the well and shadow temples which are full of torture devices and blood.

TP I dont think anyone actually dies and there is nothing horrifying there.

I hope Zelda U is more like OOT and MM than WW and SS. I want a story that is serious, but there is no reason to not have humour. All Zelda games have it and it is something I like in them.

VeryCrazy

Escape if you can...
I thought Twilight Princess was more obviously trying to be dark. It didn't have anything overtly horrifying but the whole tone of game was dark colors and creepy twilight-iness...

Also, I agree that the game should be similar to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask but I also really want some Wind Waker in there because that's one of my Favorite Zeldas and I really loved the story and art direction in that game. Hopefully the game will be sort of a mix and, of course, add lots of new elements that have never appeared in past games.

HyrulePug

You're meeting all of my standards!
I dunno. i like HUMOR but dark is cool, too, long as it's not Twilight Princess sorta dark and more Majora's Mask dark.

TP is less dark than OOT.
In OOT quite a few characters die, Deku tree, the hylian guard, a few Town residents, Grog.
You also have the bottom of the well and shadow temples which are full of torture devices and blood.

TP I dont think anyone actually dies and there is nothing horrifying there.

I hope Zelda U is more like OOT and MM than WW and SS. I want a story that is serious, but there is no reason to not have humour. All Zelda games have it and it is something I like in them.

TP is far darker than OoT.

There are quite a few deaths in TP, many of them implied. For example, the Kakariko residents were brutally massacred by shadow beasts prior to your arrival in the town; not only do their deaths occur, but the haunting feeling of desolation throughout the town, of fatigue and despair exhuded by Renado, contribute to a feeling of hopelessness and heavy loss. It's not the number of deaths, or the fact of death, that darkens the mood, but rather the emotional and atmospheric consequences of death, and this is something that OoT lacked relative to TP; you feel little grief at the death of the Deku Tree, or of the Castle Towners (other than that initial lapse of horror upon leaving the ToT as an adult), but TP leads you to empathize with the struggles of Renado, of Ilia, of Ralis and Rutela (another tragic death far more emotional than any in OoT btw), of Colin, of Zelda, of Midna, and so many more.

Besides, TP carries far heavier and more twisted themes than OoT; concerning greed and manipulation, corruption and the descent into madness, the onset of hopelessness, sin and sacrifice, and struggle and suffering. All not very happy things.

Apologies for not having much to add to the OP.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
TP is far darker than OoT.

There are quite a few deaths in TP, many of them implied. For example, the Kakariko residents were brutally massacred by shadow beasts prior to your arrival in the town; not only do their deaths occur, but the haunting feeling of desolation throughout the town, of fatigue and despair exhuded by Renado, contribute to a feeling of hopelessness and heavy loss. It's not the number of deaths, or the fact of death, that darkens the mood, but rather the emotional and atmospheric consequences of death, and this is something that OoT lacked relative to TP; you feel little grief at the death of the Deku Tree, or of the Castle Towners (other than that initial lapse of horror upon leaving the ToT as an adult), but TP leads you to empathize with the struggles of Renado, of Ilia, of Ralis and Rutela (another tragic death far more emotional than any in OoT btw), of Colin, of Zelda, of Midna, and so many more.

Besides, TP carries far heavier and more twisted themes than OoT; concerning greed and manipulation, corruption and the descent into madness, the onset of hopelessness, sin and sacrifice, and struggle and suffering. All not very happy things.

Apologies for not having much to add to the OP.
Mmmm yes. And Shadow the Hedgehog is way "darker" than Twilight Princess. Edgy =/= Dark.
TP tries to be the "dark" game, but it fails in giving that feeling to most players.
Which is why a middleground is needed. You need light to compliment the dark. It makes the lighter parts that much better, and the scary parts much darker. This is the reason why OoT is way darker than TP could have ever hoped to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom