• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dark Lynel Souls

Lynels in BotW are some of the hardest enemies in the game, theyre fun but they can be hard.

You'll all say Dark Nuts and Iron Knuckles (but try to be creative), but which enemies in Zelda could be Lynel'd up for the next game?

Which Zelda enemy would you like to get their Dark Souls on and be Lynel style hard in the next game?

What would their moveset be and how would you fight them?

Quin

Disaster Master
Aeralfos could be a good one. You have to switch from melee to range once in a while, and have some fire protection for the breath attacks. If the hookshot returns you can ground him with that again if you hook his shield but maybe not get some free hits it to make it a bit harder.
How about some bosses like Gohma or aquamentus ect that roam the overworld that they couldn't stick in dungeons?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Lynels aren't DS style hard. Lynels are completely piss easy compared to some of the more infamous bosses, Lynels don't change up their attack patterns very much.

That said i'd like to see Moblins brought back to the state they were once in, in OOT, rarely encountered but unstoppable walls of pain.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Never played Dark Souls, so I wouldn't know what you are talking about, but Lynels get crazy easy after you figure them out.

We need Iron Knuckles and Darknuts to get Lynelfied :right:

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I wouldn't mind seeing a more "advanced" variation of enemies outside of different colors. OoT sort of did this with the two types of lizalfoe enemies, where you had the gecko looking ones early on in the game, but later, in the Gerudo Training Grounds, you would run into a more dinosaur like one that could breathe fire. If they aren't considered the same type of enemy, that's fair, but I would like some more variations of enemies so that their battle styles could vary.

I would like to see more ball and chain style enemies in a 3D space. I liked the Dark Hammer mini-boss in Twilight Princess, and they were always a decent challenge in 2D games. They look intimidating and should hit hard so put em (on a lynel) in the next game.

Gibdos or Ghini. They're already more difficult, health-heavy enemies in most games they appear in. Having nigh-invulnerable lumbering damage sponges like gibdos, or spooky, evasive monsters like the ghini could be cool. The ghini have yet to make a 3D Zelda appearance anyway; they're always replaced by poes.

Either of these would be especially good fits if the series ever does a grittier or more realistic (not the same thing) title along roughly the same lines as Twilight Princess... though hopefully the next time they try to go there they put a little more work into the art direction.

(EDIT):
All of this said, I'm not sure I want the next Zelda game to necessarily have a "signature toughest enemy" like Breath of the Wild does. It works in BotW because its enemy pool is so small and they recycle the same general enemy designs and give them little tweaks all the time (like different stats, gear, or a new attack or two like the elemental lizalfos or chuchus), but in general I like Zelda games with a bigger roster of more unique, thematic enemies in the various areas. Still, they could have several "super enemies" that only appear in some sections of the game and then maybe reappear in the end-game.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Big octo would be a hoot to fight against in the freer, BotW type setting. It could chase you and deal damage on a hit or suck you into it’s mouth and shoot you out like those plant things from Twilight princess. Could maybe shoot boulders that you would have to dodge or shoot out of the sky. I think it would just be fun to see this giant squishy shiny squiddy boi run around trying to hit you.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Big octo would be a hoot to fight against in the freer, BotW type setting. It could chase you and deal damage on a hit or suck you into it’s mouth and shoot you out like those plant things from Twilight princess. Could maybe shoot boulders that you would have to dodge or shoot out of the sky. I think it would just be fun to see this giant squishy shiny squiddy boi run around trying to hit you.

Have it hanging around a shrine or location you HAVE to visit in your journey, even better if it's a reef location ^^

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
First off, I hope Lynels appear in the next game and are just as tough as they were in BotW, and if the next game uses most of BotW's assets then I'm sure this will happen.

I would like to see a powerful flying enemy. Maybe the Kargaroc should return and kick your butt. As Shroom was saying "advanced" enemies that act similar but are more powerful relatives of other enemies. We could see a "Kargaroc King" that appears as well as normal Kargarocs. This enemy would be smaller then the WW Boss but could provide a challenge.

Also it might be cool if unique enemies could be generated on the overworld map, similar to how the palette swap enemies start to appear as you get further along. They could have cool names and unique abilities. Maybe sometimes you'd get cool underground caverns where unique monsters from a set list would appear at the end (Like how the Diablo games work, the monsters are the same but their location has some procedurally generated elements). Powerful Lynel Generals, Helmasaurs, and other massive beasts could spawn on land, Big Octos and Molduga-like monsters in the sea, and flying colossal creatures like Helmaroks and maybe even airships could sail the skies. Of course, the airships would be crewed by Bokoblins riding some sort of beasts similar to whatever you're riding (maybe a Loftwing?) and launch from the airship to attack you in swarms. Man, can you imagine how epic it would be to fight them in the middle of a thunderstorm or something?

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Also it might be cool if unique enemies could be generated on the overworld map, similar to how the palette swap enemies start to appear as you get further along. They could have cool names and unique abilities. Maybe sometimes you'd get cool underground caverns where unique monsters from a set list would appear at the end (Like how the Diablo games work, the monsters are the same but their location has some procedurally generated elements). Powerful Lynel Generals, Helmasaurs, and other massive beasts could spawn on land, Big Octos and Molduga-like monsters in the sea, and flying colossal creatures like Helmaroks and maybe even airships could sail the skies. Of course, the airships would be crewed by Bokoblins riding some sort of beasts similar to whatever you're riding (maybe a Loftwing?) and launch from the airship to attack you in swarms. Man, can you imagine how epic it would be to fight them in the middle of a thunderstorm or something?
For quite some time I have been thinking that Zelda should implement some random/procedurally generated game elements. Things to make the adventure less predictable when you replay the game or revisit an area. Enemies with random locations are the best place to start. Although we don't need procedural generation to create the same effect, take Big Octos. In tWW when you first have freedom to sail the seas you may run into a Big Octo without noticing the seagulls. At least the first few times this happens it appears that the beast spawned randomly but later you may learn that the Octos have specific locations. The same can be said about the sharks, Cyclones and Ghost Ship in tWW or the Dragons and Blood Moon in BotW. With my first Blood Moon I had no idea what was happening it seamed like a random event and the first dragon I saw also seemed to appear randomly in the distance. Some of the Guardians from BotW should have spawned randomly to make it seam more like they were stalking all of Hyrule.

As for the Airships I would love to see such a thing. If they were to include them in a Zelda game then SS would have been the place to start. Unless we were to see an Airship as a sky dungeon (like The City in The Sky [TP] meets The Sand Ship [SS]) then a game featuring an Airship or Multiple should return to the sky as a major setting. SS could have really taken advantage of the sky and made it memorable. I liked what they did with the sky but it was little more then a travel hub, it could have had more islands, a couple more dungeons even if they were only mini dungeons. I think it will be some time before we return to the sky but if we do I think it will build off of what SS did and make it a much more involved place hopefully it will include some Airship Battles.

As for the Airships I would love to see such a thing. If they were to include them in a Zelda game then SS would have been the place to start. Unless we were to see an Airship as a sky dungeon (like The City in The Sky [TP] meets The Sand Ship [SS]) then a game featuring an Airship or Multiple should return to the sky as a major setting. SS could have really taken advantage of the sky and made it memorable. I liked what they did with the sky but it was little more then a travel hub, it could have had more islands, a couple more dungeons even if they were only mini dungeons. I think it will be some time before we return to the sky but if we do I think it will build off of what SS did and make it a much more involved place hopefully it will include some Airship Battles.
I wasn't thinking of them as levels, much more like wandering things you could tackle like the platforms/camps of enemies, just flying high enough that they won't usually bug you on the ground. Maybe if Magnesis was still a thing you could pull bits off them either to gain entry or to bring them down, or you could fight the enemies in aerial combat or something.

EDIT: It's funny because I actually typed this around noon but then I left for the day and must have missed posting it... so I did it when I got back home at 3 a.m.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom