• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dark Link- Theory... Once Again

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
I know there have been a lot of topics of our most beloved Link's doppelgänger, but I wanted to bring the topic back up to start an interesting (and educational XP) conversation:).
Let us all know your theories and thoughts about the one and only Dark Link. Do you think he's an infestion of darkness residing within our hero's heart? A servant of the Lord of Evil, Ganondorf? Or perhaps something else? Or even both? Feel free to voice out your opinion:)!

In my opinion, he's the darker side of Link. He has all of Link's fighting skills, knows all he might have up his sleeve, everything about his arsenal, and even has his own darker Master Sword. He knows every move the player knows, and even copies them, and learns to avoid some of them. I think this is all because the Goddess, when choosing their Hero, could not allow one to bear evil thoughts of any kind, so they removed all the darkness from one, and turned into a being of it's own. This case being the Dark Link.

Last edited:
I've got to go with Dark Link always being a test of skill for our hero. It's the final fight in AoL, and a important and difficult fight in OoT if you actually use the Master Sword. In OoT I think it's just your shadow brought into being or a figment of Link's mind. In AoL, it is his shadow brought fully into being as a real threat.

Skunk

Floof
I say that Dark Link is Lord Ganondorf's second attempt at creating a phantom "knight." I mean, Ganondorf first tried to send a phantom of himself to fight Link, which didn't work well. So it wouldn't be far-fetched to say that he was in a "fight fire with fire" mentality when creating Dark Link. Seeing as Link had already fought to of Ganondorf's minions in the dungeons before the Water Temple, Ganondorf had ample opportunity to see Link's fighting styles and skills.

Dark link is a different thing with a different origin in every zelda game. In OoT he's probably an apparition conjured by ganondorf, or a shape-shifting Nightmare like the one in Link's Awakening.

From what i've heard, in FSA they're/he's created with the dark mirror (?), and in AoL he's a a guardian of the triforce, but i can't really account for these games.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
From what i've heard, in FSA they're/he's created with the dark mirror
That's Shadow Link, which is a different concept. Dark Link doesn't appear in FSA. What you say is true about Shadow Link. He's pretty much his own character which Ganon created through the Dark Mirror. Dark Link on the other hand is usually just a reflection/shadow of Link with no character of its own.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
You just killed OOT Dark Link there, the water temple the place of relections and water mirages, it is quite possible that Dark Link is infact just a mirage created by the water after all it is Morpha's lair and heck what with water raising and lowering i'm suprised you hadn't flood hyrule field by the end of it. My own personal theory which i doubt is true but i like nonetheless is maybe DL is a physical manifestation of the darkness trapped in the blade (We all know who he is), and yes people are gonna say he was reincarnated as Ganon. Fact of the matter is it's the Hatred that gets reincarnated along with that lust for power we all know so well, so maybe just maybe if events conspired perfectl,y which in Zelda it tends to do alooooot, the evil and skill that Demise possessed came to life on it's own inside a area that it could habit and exist.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I always viewed Dark Link as a mirage spell in all his appearances. He only ever appears when the shadow of Link is removed, so I've come to the conclusion that he is in fact just a highly powerful magic spell that knows its doppelganger better than himself.

You just killed OOT Dark Link there, the water temple the place of relections and water mirages, it is quite possible that Dark Link is infact just a mirage created by the water after all it is Morpha's lair and heck what with water raising and lowering i'm suprised you hadn't flood hyrule field by the end of it. My own personal theory which i doubt is true but i like nonetheless is maybe DL is a physical manifestation of the darkness trapped in the blade (We all know who he is), and yes people are gonna say he was reincarnated as Ganon. Fact of the matter is it's the Hatred that gets reincarnated along with that lust for power we all know so well, so maybe just maybe if events conspired perfectl,y which in Zelda it tends to do alooooot, the evil and skill that Demise possessed came to life on it's own inside a area that it could habit and exist.

This... is a very interesting idea. It would account for what happened to Demise's physical form well. Even though I'm pretty sure Demise's conscious was completely eroded by the end of SS (it had been in the Temple of Hylia for ages), it can still remanifest itself later on. That might have happened with the Master Sword in OoT after Ganondorf rose to power.

S

Saviorofhyrule

my personal thought is that dark link or shadow link is link's deepest evils dark/shadow link was also in the manga of oot and link had to defeat him to become the true hero of time

I like what Ganon said and think it's something a lot of people haven't thought about yet. I mean, with the inclusion of SS we learn that Demise is trapped in the master sword. He also curses Link and Zelda which means that Ganondorf/Ganon may not actually be a reincarnation or embodiment of Demise in anyway but simply a product of an evil demi-gods magic. DL could be caused by or might even be a form of Demise or his magic. And who's to say Demise might not be the cause of the Master Swords deterioration in WW and TP. I know this is a little off-topic but I think I'm going to do a little research and might post another thread about Demise's possible "presence" in other Zelda games via the Master Sword.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
He also curses Link and Zelda which means that Ganondorf/Ganon may not actually be a reincarnation or embodiment of Demise in anyway but simply a product of an evil demi-gods magic.
Demise didn't cast a curse, but merely explained the natural force of balance controlled by fate. Ganondorf explained this same force in unused text in TP.

And who's to say Demise might not be the cause of the Master Swords deterioration in WW and TP.
Ganondorf's the cause in WW (killing the Sages); I don't remember TP's MS being deteriorated.

I apologize, I haven't actually played SS but was hoping I'd read enough to be accurate. As for the deterioration thing I apologize again I'd meant to say LttP but I remember it wasn't deteriorated you could just improve it.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I Personnally think like this. Demise Skill with a sword and Evil became DL, The Hatred became Ganon, and the magical aspect may have infact became Vaati (Even though he is originally a minish everyone knows power can lay dormant in someone for years on end. HMMMM maybe BB is the physical manifestation of Demise's Strength.

Amura

Day Dream
I personally think that Dark Link is just a test for the hero.

I've got to go with Dark Link always being a test of skill for our hero. It's the final fight in AoL, and a important and difficult fight in OoT if you actually use the Master Sword. In OoT I think it's just your shadow brought into being or a figment of Link's mind. In AoL, it is his shadow brought fully into being as a real threat.

Although I agree with most of this, there is one particular part I don't agree on.

In OoT I think it's just your shadow brought into being or a figment of Link's mind.

I personally think that Dark Link was a spell.
Although, I don't know who might've cast it, if it was a spell in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
How do you mean you don't know. There's Morpha Master of water and then Ganondorf who at the time is King of Darkness and possessor of a triforce shard? My bet if dark link is a spell that it would be Morpha who cast it i doubt Ganondorf has any control over who the bosses pick as their minibosses.

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
When you think about it, you are your own worst enemy worst enemy. Who knows your flaws and weaknesses better than you? So who better to have in the water temple than a reflection of himself as water itself shows us our own reflections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom