• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Dark Link, Should He Have Been a Boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikepoke101

Just Chilling.
I just beat Ocarina of Time for the 100th time :P, and every time I think to myself that dark Link should have been a boss. I believe this simply because playing against him the "legit" way I find him by far the most challenging enemy in the entire game. I think maybe having him as the Shadow Temple boss would have been a good idea maybe, since I found bongo bongo to be a little bit of a let down. But tell me what you guy's think! :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, no I don't think he should have been a boss, at least not in OoT. I just feel that way because he is extremely weak and you can make him even less of a threat by playing Three Heart Challenge, and then you can just loop him if you get the Biggoron Sword. So with all of that I don't think that he should have been a boss. I really like his jumping on my sword through, it was classy and I think any further incarnation of a "mirror" Link should do the same x)

Mikepoke101

Just Chilling.
I agree with you guys, but I think of making him, if he was a boss of course, more challenging. I think it would have been cool with more moves and maybe even him going into your mind and showing like flash backs to you but messing with them, kind of like that Harry Potter type deal where they mess with Links memory. It is a little too advanced for the time of OoT but maybe in the future doing that would be cool.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

You mean Occlumency? They have that playable in the fifth Harry Potter game, but it's nothing more than just pushing buttons repeatedly in the obviously indicated direction. xP

I think it would be a very god idea to make Dark Link a full boss. Maybe not as he appeared in Ocarina of Time, but then again he was the final boss in The Adventure of Link and was a piece of cake. Actually, I probably only say that because I use the cheap method on the latter but not so much on the former. Both are challenging fights, but you can beat either easily using cheap methods.

What they need to do is design a Dark Link where he reflects Link's skills expertly without leaving any gaps for cheap wins. This conceptually makes for the hardest boss in the game considering the fact that you are stronger than all the bosses, and you're essentially fighting yourself. This is something I can imagine being done very well in Skyward Sword, but we have no confirmation of Dark Link appearing. The closest thing I think of first is the Ghirahim battle, but maybe I'm way off, since I haven't really watched gameplay videos of that battle in hopes of avoiding too many spoilers.

Big Octo

=^)
Well, the concept of Dark Link as a boss seems very interesting. To accomplish such a feat, he would need to be re-scripted in a much more elaborate manner.

For starters, he would need much more health, being able to take multiple hits even from the Biggoron's Sword. Doing so would prove him to be one of the strongest enemies in the game.

Second, Dark Link would need to be much more tactical. He would have to mirror Link in a almost unbeatable manner. His attack could also be increased, making each strike a deadly blow.

Lastly, as perhaps the most difficult aspect, he would be given items. Dark Link would always use this to his advantage by mirroring any of Link's ranged or special moves.

So if something like this ever did happen, I would totally try it. Another challenge for any OoT player!

JerônimoLink

New Hyrule's Engineer
He used items in Spirit Tracks, but only bombs and arrows. It would be nice if he had all the items in the game that he would appear, even the optional ones, but only if link acquired those.

Owner828

I'm not the muffin man!
If he becomes a boss in future titles, I think they would make him harder. As in him having all your items instead of just sword and shield. But I do not think he is boss material. He seems more of a sub-boss. Maybe if there where multiple Dark Links he would qualify in my opinion as a boss.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Personally I don't like the idea of Dark Link mirroring Link. It's too boring, just trading blows waiting for an opening. I'd like for him to have his own, developed AI and he would have all items Link has but use them at the time he 'dictates' to be optimal. So, I wouldn't like to see him using a bow to counter my bow, but rather he would use his bow when I'm at a longer range. Things like Din's Fire would cause issues as it gives Link some I-Frames and is presented in cinematic form (somewhat) so those could maybe be disabled for the fight?

Ganondork

goo
Well, this question is truly based on opinion.

Dark Link - I will admit - was a bit tougher for me than Morpha ever was. The fact that he could mimic your every move and hop on your blade and attack you like that was definitely an unnerving experience. Morpha was an overall easy boss, you just needed to get a rhythm down on when it was dangerous and when its weak spot would reveal itself.

And in actuality, you also have to think of the dungeons. It wouldn't make sense for him to be the boss of the Water Temple, merely because he's a not a water-based enemy. Morpha, however, was. I feel he could have worked better in the Shadow Temple, because they repeated Dead Hand as a mini-boss when it was a boss in Beneath the Well. I feel that Bongo Bongo could have been the mini-boss and Dark Link be the overall dungeon boss, but like I said earlier, it's all opinion-based.

My opinion is that he really shouldn't have been. Ignoring the placement of him - and a good area where he could have been placed - we have to glance at it from a difficulty point of view. Many people managed to "cheat" against Dark Link, whether it was simply using Din's Fire or using the Biggoron sword. Not to mention he was a much easier battle if you were doing a three-heart run, considering the fact that he shares your amount of health. So really, I don't think he should be a boss, simply because although he had potential, he just wasn't at a boss-difficulty level.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Personally I don't like the idea of Dark Link mirroring Link. It's too boring, just trading blows waiting for an opening. I'd like for him to have his own, developed AI and he would have all items Link has but use them at the time he 'dictates' to be optimal. So, I wouldn't like to see him using a bow to counter my bow, but rather he would use his bow when I'm at a longer range. Things like Din's Fire would cause issues as it gives Link some I-Frames and is presented in cinematic form (somewhat) so those could maybe be disabled for the fight?

It would make more sense for Dark Link to copy Link's fighting style, but not his exact moves at the exact same time. I suppose, though, that he did have a few moves that Link didn't have in Ocarina of Time, such as hopping on top of Link's blade. Perhaps it would be interesting to give him the same moves and weapons that Link has, but program him to use them in his own style, such as hopping on top of Link's blade, where as the player you can't use the item in the same way Dark Link does simply because that's not Link's style.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think it was better that he was a mini-boss, as it was an off-beat rhythm to the usual Zelda style. Throwing him in out of nowhere and making him as tough as he was made him even more mysterious than he was in Zelda II. And that's what Dark Link is supposed to be: mysterious. (Although I was highly disappointed at how easy they made him in OoT 3D. He was pitiful...)

He actually does have his own moves. Him mirroring Link is what adds to the insanity that is Dark Link's skills.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I was highly disappointed at how easy they made him in OoT 3D. He was pitiful...)

I agree with you there. In OoT 3D, he was better as a mini boss. Although, in the N64/GC versions, Dark Link was much harder, and even stronger than some of the game's bosses. Although, I think he was better off as a mini boss from the beginning. Like JuicieJ said, throwing him in out of nowhere and making him as tough as he was made him mysterious. And he's better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom