• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Dark Link, How You Killed Him and How He Could Have Been Harder.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
Dark Link had such potential to be such a great mini-boss, or a great actual dungeon boss. But was he? No. He has become a joke between my friends and I. Whenever you can just spam something to kill it, we say the that person just got Dark Link'd. Or I Dark Link'd that guy. So as you can see, he is a pathetic boss. We all know that you can use one of these techniques:
1 Din's Fire
2 Megaton Hammer
3 Biggoron's Sword
I Personally use the biggoron's sword for SOME sort of challenge. Have any of you ever tried to kill him with out using any of those techniques? I have and I lost three fairies to him. That's the kind of boss I want. A one on one sword fight with someone who is your equal in every way. Why did nintendo make him a pushover that became the butt of many of my jokes? What did you use to take him down? Have you ever beat him using ONLY the master sword? What could have nintendo done to make him a great fight? I think it would have been cool to have lost your items before the fight. That way you have a BIG reason to fight. (They would give you your items back, of course) Answer the questions above, because I am super curious. :)

P

princess-kikyo

I have done various ways, i.e din's fire, megaton hammer, and so on, combos and things, it was fun :)

I found him easy he could have been harder if he actually mirrored your movements properly, i.e you used dins fire he used like dark fire or smt.

Although, my sister rang me 40000000000 times, saying she was having the worstt ime trying to beat him She is sooo cute though.

I think she eventually got him though :P

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I like the idea of temporarily taking away your items. It would have made the battle much more like the battle from Zelda 2. Nintendo should have just increased the difficulty of the battle and made him the boss of the Shadow Temple. Also, SHADOW EPONA! Just like in the manga, which I realize in non-cannon. That would have made a great secret boss, i.e. It only happens if you got Epona from the ranch.

I like to battle Dark Link as Young Link (Glitches) because the boomerang works very well as an effective stun.

I like the idea of temporarily taking away your items. It would have made the battle much more like the battle from Zelda 2. Nintendo should have just increased the difficulty of the battle and made him the boss of the Shadow Temple. Also, SHADOW EPONA! Just like in the manga, which I realize in non-cannon. That would have made a great secret boss, i.e. It only happens if you got Epona from the ranch.

I like to battle Dark Link as Young Link (Glitches) because the boomerang works very well as an effective stun.

How do you do the Young Link glitch?

I killed him first playthrough with the Master Sword
3 heart with Megaton Hammer

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
He's really not hard with the Master Sword. When attacking him, don't Z-Target him and don't move Link forward. Get a safe distance from him by back flipping, and when he's approaching, do the 3 sword combo (which will be horizontal slashes) and time it so that Link does the 3rd swing as Dark Link gets into his range, and it usually lands a hit. Repeat this until you beat him, and he's just as much as a pushover as using the things you listed.

Volvagia

Gentlemanly Lava Dragon
The first time I faced him, I ran out of magic really fast, so I had to use the master sword. It was really intense, but I died after a long and epic fight. I then left the temple got the biggoron sword, and came back fully stocked. I beat him within 15 seconds. This was really disappointing, since I had such a good challenge the first time. I think that dark link should be just as strong as you, with the same equipment. All in all, I really liked him, and I REALLY like the environment. It fits the fight very well.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

It's strange, but it's been so long since I actually last played Ocarina of Time that I don't distinctly remember fighting Dark Link or how I beat him - or how you're even supposed to beat him, for that matter, though I'm aware of things like Din's Fire working. I really should play through this game again, but I'm holding off for the 3DS version. :/ It will be cool to see what the battle's like on the 3DS, what with the 3D effect and the improved graphics.

insanity76

I think that dark link should be just as strong as you, with the same equipment.

I could be wrong on this, but I think I read somewhere (on ZD in fact) that Dark Link has the same amount of health as your Link does at the time of the battle, so if you're doing a 3 heart run he's gonna take a lot fewer hits than if you've got 10+ hearts when you fight him. So in regards to strength, they did balance it out.

As far as same equipment, that would've been awesome although if they did do that I'm sure it would've only applied to the sword you're using. He'd be nearly impossible if he could fire arrows at you or hit you with Din's Fire, but it would've been reasonable if they made it to where if you switch to the Biggoron Sword, so would he. Imagine duking it out with a Biggoron Sword wielding Dark Link. That would be intense to say the least, lol.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
That is defiantly not true about Dark Link having the same Health as you because I've done a 3-heart run and it still took the same number of hits to kill him as when I had seven and I was using the Master Sword on both.

insanity76

That is defiantly not true about Dark Link having the same Health as you because I've done a 3-heart run and it still took the same number of hits to kill him as when I had seven and I was using the Master Sword on both.

I stand corrected ... thanks for clearing it up Hylian Knight :) I could have either misread or the person who said it was making it up/wrongly assuming.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
I spammed Megaton Hammer the whole time. :D
To be Harder, I wish that he was a mix between a Darknut and you...
He would copy your exact moves the whole time except occasionally (or even rarely) where he would do one of those TP Darknut Swings to the ground-and you can hit him there to reduce his health.
So yeah... xD

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
He's simply as hard as you make him. You want a nice, fair sword fight, then use just the Master Sword. Want the upper hand? Just abuse his weakness to those certain items (listed multiple times above).

My first play through when I was younger, and not as skilled, I just spammed Din's Fire because that's the way a friend told me. However, during my 3-heart run, and later play throughs, I just used the ol sword and sheild. The only hard part is simply landing a hit and not accidently throwng a stab into the sword frenzy. Although I would play a bit more defensively if things started to look bad.

Great fight, and would love to see it brought out to a higher level in the 3DS remake.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, I've actually tried to kill him without any of those tactics once. I only used the Master Sword and I lost a more fairies than I'd like to admit I lost.

Usually I use the Biggoron Sword on him, but sometimes I go for the Megaton Hammer or Din's Fire. I've heard that the Broken Giant's Knife and thrusting is a pretty good tactic, but I haven't really tried it yet (I plan on trying it when I get OoT3D, though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom