• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dark Gym- Is It Finally Possible?

Fig

The Altruist
What's happening forum? I hope you guys are enjoying your day! :P

Anyways, let's get to the point. With X and Y only months away is it possible that we may FINALLY have the very first Dark-Type Gym be part of the 8 Gyms that a player has to face? I think it is very possible considering that even Pokemon from previous generations are returning during the main game. Let's take a look at the new Gen. 6 Pokemon first.

Chespin:

Chespin.jpg

Sure, Chespin is a Grass-Type, but I can see it having the potential to be a Grass/Dark Pokemon. Since the announcement of X and Y, I have heard that it may be possible where GameFreak will make it possible for the the Rock-Paper-Scissors triangle of the starters will be reversed, allowing the Type will the disadvantage of another Type to gain the advantage because of the addition of a second Typing among all the starters. Seeing that Fennekin can learn Psychic, I see the second Type triangle of being Dark-Psychic-Fighting, as it is another perfect triangle like Grass-Fire-Water and it could fit well to the description of having a starter to be able to have an advantage against the starter that it will normally be weak against. So I think Chespin can be a Dark-Type as it evolves.

Pangoro:

Pangoro.jpg

It is now confirmed that Pancham evolves into the Fighting/Dark Type Pangoro. Seeing this evolution of Pancham will alerted me because I also see amazing potential for Pangoro to be a beatstick or even a tank Pokemon in the metagame. Just based on the official artwork and statements that have been confirmed about Pangoro, I think it is safe to say that this is one Pokemon you do not want to mess around with. I think Pangoro will be a good candidate to be used by the Dark-Type Gym Leader.

Litleo:

Litleo.jpg

As of now, this cute little lion cub is a Fire/Normal Pokemon. Ever since the original Pokemon games, whenever a new Pokemon is revealed and will be a part of the new generation, I always base its Typing based on the coloring and descriptions of the Pokemon. When I saw Litleo for the first time, my first thoughts were
When it evolves, it's going to be a Fire/Dark Type.
Something just told me that Litleo will have a Dark-Type as its second typing. But for now, it is currently a Fire/Normal, which is fine for me. But man will it be so awesome to see Litleo evolve into a Pokemon with the same typing as Houndour and Houndoom! :xd: :pikalove:

Inkay and Malamar:

Inkay.jpg Malamar.jpg

It is confirmed that these Pokemon not only are part of the same evolutionary line, but are also Dark/Psychic Pokemon. This special typing is pretty interesting to see and I do see this set of Pokemon to may be overused or even underused as it is a very risky typing in the Gen. 6, as we may see Bug-Type Pokemon to be used even more often than we ever expected. In conclusion, I think these Pokemon would be decent for the Dark-Type Gym Leader to utilize in his/her team.

Finally, it is also confirmed that Umbreon, Houndour, and Houndoom will be part of the Kalos Pokedex throughout the main game, making these 3 Pokemon to very well be used in the Dark-Type Gym Leader's team when the player will have to challenge him/her. I think with all of these Pokemon stated and mentioned above is more than enough evidence or even an incentive if we may call it that for GameFreak to finally give us a Dark-Type Gym. So what are your thoughts of a Dark-Type Gym? Would you like to see one in this generation? Do you think it is possible to see one in X and Y? Please state your comments below and as always, thanks for reading!

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I for one would love to see one after all this time!

I agree, this is the densest concentration of Dark Types in a single region. They've always been pretty scarce.

A Dark Type Gym has always been a possibility in other Pokémon Games, it's just Game Freak never took that possibility. I'm hoping that X & Y will introduce a Dark Type Gym, it will help spice things up a little.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Even if we don't get a Dark Gym, chances are we'll be seeing an Elite Four member have almost exclusively dark type PKMN. :yes:

Fig

The Altruist
That has been done before, so it wouldn't be as momentous as a Dark Gym.

This is very true, as Generations 2, 3, AND 5 have all had an Elite 4 member who uses Dark-Type Pokemon. Sure, gettiing a Dark-Type Elite 4 member rather than a Gym Leader is still possible, it just doesn't have the same momentous feeling that it will have if was a Gym Leader instead. I would actually be making this face if I see that the Dark-Type user was Elite 4 member rather than a Gym Leader:

Shadow-and-Marine-shadow-the-hed-1.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely think that it would be possible using the new Dark-type Pokemon in X & Y and possible some from past games. It would be difficult to defeat the Dark Gym Leader considering how few Pokemon are super effective against Dark-types. However I think it would be fine if there are enough opportunities to acquire Fighting-type and Bug-type Pokemon in the game before coming across the Dark Gym. The only reason I feel like it might be a bad idea to do a Dark-type Gym is because so few types are super effective against Dark-type Pokemon and vice versa. If the Pokemon were solely Dark-types then it might just turn into a contest of whose Pokemon are leveled higher. Then again if some of the Gym Leader's Pokemon are half-Dark and half of another type it might work out but it would still be better if there's a high enough amount of Pokemon strong against Dark-types (Fighting and Bug) and Pokemon weak against Dark types (Psychic and Ghost) to make it interesting.

Fig

The Altruist
I definitely think that it would be possible using the new Dark-type Pokemon in X & Y and possible some from past games. It would be difficult to defeat the Dark Gym Leader considering how few Pokemon are super effective against Dark-types. However I think it would be fine if there are enough opportunities to acquire Fighting-type and Bug-type Pokemon in the game before coming across the Dark Gym. The only reason I feel like it might be a bad idea to do a Dark-type Gym is because so few types are super effective against Dark-type Pokemon and vice versa. If the Pokemon were solely Dark-types then it might just turn into a contest of whose Pokemon are leveled higher. Then again if some of the Gym Leader's Pokemon are half-Dark and half of another type it might work out but it would still be better if there's a high enough amount of Pokemon strong against Dark-types (Fighting and Bug) and Pokemon weak against Dark types (Psychic and Ghost) to make it interesting.

That may be true, but that's what makes the Gym battles more fun and exciting. I just believe that even if there are few Types of Pokemon that can generally overcome Dark-Type Pokemon, that the Gym battle would be even more entertaining because you may not have to rely on a Type advantage, but simply on strategy. That my friend, is the greatest aspect in my eyes when playing Pokemon! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom