• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dampe and the Kid Wanna-be.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Wanna-be is not meant to be harsh here, I love the little kid in Kakariko Village Graveyard!

But honestly, why would anyone, especially a little kid like this, ever want to be like Dampe? NO NO NO! I am not being mean at all to Dampe! I swear! o.o I feel sympathetic towards Dampe because he is all alone, has no friends, and LIVES in the graveyard (:sick:). I just feel kinda bad for him really. Plus he admits he is kinda of scary to look at.

I personally think that the kid wants to grow up to be like Dampe because the kid subconsciously relates to Dampe. They both have no friends, and both play/live/hang out around the Graveyard.

Being around the child in the game is queer, I just feel like he should be with children his own age and not pretending to be an ugly, scary, lonely, gravedigger.

Opinions, thoughts, arguments...maybe something similar with other characters you have noticed (doesn't have to be from OoT).

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I'm sure there are lots of kids who play by themselves, i was one of them. this solitude can be comforting in a way and i think that the kid in the graveyard enjoys playing while no one else is around. it gives you plenty of time and space to be creative and really let you imagination wonder.

the boy in the game knows no one else goes to the graveyard so he has made it his own, also he knows dampe lives there and so he doesnt need to be to afraid of the graveyard if someone else can live there. i know i have played in some unconventional spots as a child although the graveyard was not one of them. I can relate to the boy and share his kind of thinking, because so often i would have to get away from it all, like away from people. maybe thats why he goes to the graveyard... there are no people there. it makes sense if you just want to be left alone.

he looks up to dampe because he can live without anyone, he may be ugly but it takes courage and a different kind of strength to live by yourself. this is a great example of what it takes to persevere even when no one is around to cheer you on, you know? the boy may or may not be ugly when he grows up but when you are that young things like that dont seem to matter as much. he probably looks to dampe as a hero, thats why he imitates him during the day.

most of my life i have been alone in some way or have gone somewhere quiet to be alone, i find it soothing to just be... and think that dampe is like a part of myself, that part that wants to be alone. although i crave companionship alot, i dont seek it out openly and sometimes force myself to go see people i really like or have to stop myself from visiting someone because i am so self conscious and wierd that i dont want to bother them.
haha it's strange because i have a lot of friends and they think im a really nice guy and very funny to boot.

but i know there is nothing wrong with me or dampe or the kid, there is a little bit of dampe (or alot in my case) in everyone, and sometimes kids are the most perceptive of all, he can see that dampe is kind, so kind that he is willing to hide his face from the world, just so he wont bother anyone.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Maybe that little boy is just a morbid type who likes the idea of being creepy and scary? Trust me, there are morbid children out there. I can remember being one. I'm certainly a morbid adult now.

The stuff Raven said is quite poigiant. I was pretty much the same way - I didn't have a lot of friends as a kid. I was the outcast and I learned how to entertain myself and to be creative. It got to where I didn't *want* to play with other kids most of the time. I'm the same as an adult... I'm not social. Instead of going out to drink or dance, I'd much rather stay home and work on a paintng or some such thing. Some people are just like that - comfortable with solitude. Being a gravekeeper would probably be a great job for me (though love my current job as a stablehand - same difference, the barn is quiet).

In any case, there is a difference between being alone and being lonely. One is a state of being, the other is a feeling people let themselves have. It is possible to feel lonely in a crowd and, conversely, to be alone but comfortable.

The kid is probably just that way and he probably just thinks Dampe's cool for keeping the graves/keeping people's memories alive and for not being afraid of ghosts and poes. Don't you think that a little kid might look up to someone as being cool and brave because he hangs out where all the scary ghosts are supposed to be and has no fear?

If Hyrule had Halloween, it would probably be the kid's favorite holiday.

Exactly what Raven said.

And for the record, that kid is just annoying. Whenever I tried to dig, he said I couldn't, because Dampe wouldn't let me either. I went to dig when Dampe was around, no questions asked. It always annoys me. :(

R

Rvby

That kid was sorta sad. But he only does it because the tour is only for adults.(sadly when you get older dampe just HAS TO DIE!)

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
I fully agree with you Shadsie, and Raven. Just for the record, I in no way was putting the child down for this. I'm quite like the child myself, and, so it seems, just like you 2 as well. :)

He makes me feel sad for him, and I would just feel a little happier if he in stead chased the cuccoos around with a stick haha. I hope he's alive when I turn Link to adult hood! 0_0

B

Bongo_Bongo

Mmm. Agreed, it is a little sad. But people choose their own fates, and if the little kid was happy pretending to be a lonely gravedigger, good for him.

(On a side note, some believe that the poe collector is the kid, but there are holes to this theory.)

Ikana

Trollkastel
Hes just like any other kid who wants to be the person he idols.I really don't see who would idol Dampe.But I really do feel bad for Dampe though,living all alone with no family no friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom