• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dampé's Theory

ZeldaTheories

Zelda Theories
Hello community! This is ZeldaTheories and I have been thinking about a theory about what happens to Dampé, the graveyard keeper. So here it goes:
What if Dampé was killed by a Poe and resurrected by the graveyard boy, who later becomes the Poe Collector in Hyrule?

Here's some info that I gathered to back up my Theory:
  • Dampé worked in the graveyard, where many poes gathered at night
  • The graveyard boy was a BIG fan of Dampé, so if he were to die, he would do anything to bring him back
  • The Poe collector said that he used to live somewhere in Hyrule
  • The Poe Collector also said that he was collecting Poes for a reason

So that's about it guys! Please tell me what you think about it and enjoy ZD!

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I wondered why Dampe turned into a ghost. Usually ghosts are people who had unfinished business or something like that, and Dampe doesn't seem like that type.

Yeah, makes sense, but I'm having trouble picturing a cute little stocky kid becoming a tall lanky thing with what looks like one eye. But! Both the graveyard kid and the poe collector have a stick that they swing around. I think.

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
Dampe being a ghost is rather puzzling. Perhaps he so loved being in and caring for the Graveyard during his life that he didn't want to leave it in his death? Or perhaps he wanted to see the hookshot be used in good hands? Eh, who knows. :)

Anyway, it's definitely a possible theory. But just to let you know, there's also an equally possible theory around that says the Poe Collector is the Hylian knight in the Poe Collector's house as a kid. He says something along the lines that he likes chaos, hopes the world gets worse, and he has an interest in ghosts. Both theories are possible really.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Anyway, it's definitely a possible theory. But just to let you know, there's also an equally possible theory around that says the Poe Collector is the Hylian knight in the Poe Collector's house as a kid. He says something along the lines that he likes chaos, hopes the world gets worse, and he has an interest in ghosts. Both theories are possible really.

Considering the knight wanted to engage in wanton property destruction, I wouldn't be suprised if he turned into that freaky thing. it's probably a disguise anyway. I'm probably wrong, though.

It's unclear how Dampé dies in the seven year interval between Link's pulling the Master Sword out of the pedestal and his awakening from hibernation as an adult. While it is possible that he was killed by the Poes, it is equally likely that he simply died of old age. It's important to note that the Poe Collector refers to Link as "young man" suggesting he is older than the Hero of Time while the boy in the graveyard clearly appeared younger than Young Link. It's more probable that the Poe Collector is the guard who was in the same building in the past and who also took fascination with ghosts or completely unrelated to any other character in the game.

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
It's important to note that the Poe Collector refers to Link as "young man" suggesting he is older than the Hero of Time while the boy in the graveyard clearly appeared younger than Young Link.
I thought about this after I posted...that would make it quite odd, but it makes sense in other ways. If Dampe was killed by poes, the graveyard kid might want to avenge his death somehow. To do this, he might want to research poes so he would know what he's up against. And to research them, the best way is to have them trapped in jars and observe them. Also, both the graveyard kid and the poe collector swing a stick around.

But it is equally possible that the poe collector is the guard, who was older than Link, making the "young man" comment accurate. I took his "I hope the world gets worse" as more boredom than anything. Can you imagine how boring it would be to never get to actually use the weapon and combat skills you were trained to use?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Here's some info that I gathered to back up my Theory:
  • Dampé worked in the graveyard, where many poes gathered at night
  • The graveyard boy was a BIG fan of Dampé, so if he were to die, he would do anything to bring him back
  • The Poe collector said that he used to live somewhere in Hyrule
  • The Poe Collector also said that he was collecting Poes for a reason

The Poes might have killed him but since they seem to leave him alone when they appeared at night, it doesn't really seem likely that they'd just suddenly decide to murder him.

I'm a BIG fan of Michael Jackson but I've never thought to try to resurrect him. The boy would no doubt have been sad at Dampé's death but it's a bit of a stretch to say he would do anything to bring him back.

The Poe Collector describes what he does as a "business" so his reason for collecting Poes seems to be, at least to some degree, a financial thing.
"Because of the great Ganondorf, it is a fine time for a business like this... heh heh heh... Oh...I can only hope the world gets even worse!"

Everyone its not about the poe colecter its about the dampe thing I think its a good thery The kid coud be whereing the Mask Of Truth so he looks like he has one eye.

Well the theory is in two parts, firstly, that the Poes killed Dampé and secondly, that the little boy became the Poe Collector and brought him back as a ghost, so the identity of the Poe Collector is equally as important here.

Personally, I find it unlikely (but not impossible) for the Poe's to have killed Dampé. Although they leave him alone when they appear, after Ganondorf took over, perhaps they became more aggressive.

As for the young boy being the Poe Collector, I find that extremely unlikely. Yes, there are things to suggest it but the evidence pointing at the Guard who was posted to the same room in the past era is much, much stronger.

The little boy and the Poe Collector share a stick and not much else. The little boy gets annoyed at Link when he moves the gravestones, ("Don't cause trouble! I'll tell Dampé!") showing he doesn't like trouble and he complains about having too cute a face. The Poe Collector revels in chaos and disorder and hints that he has an unpleasant face:

"If I looked as good as you, I could run a different kind of business...heh he heh..."

Furthermore, the Poe Collector refers to Link as "young man", suggesting he is older while the little boy was clearly younger than even Young Link.

As for the Guard, well, almost everything he says backs up the idea that he is the Poe Collector:

"Man, I am SO bored... Things would sure be more interesting if there were more... troubles in the world..."
"Man, I am SO tired! The night watch is so boring! I wish some ghosts would come out or something...."
"Hey, I'm really interested in ghosts! Studying them is a hobby of mine, but you never know... the time might come when that kind of knowledge might be useful!"

That last quote in particular seems to all but confirm the Guard as the Poe Collector, especially since he says that and when you enter the exact same spot 7 years later, there's a mysterious man in robes resembling those of the Hylian Royal family (who the Guard would obviously have had some contact with) who collects ghosts and desires for the world to become even more troublesome.

To sum up, the little boy likes Dampé, not ghosts (since he's never there when the ghosts show up) and certainly not trouble, just Dampé. The Guard loves ghosts and loves trouble and desires both in large quantities, exactly the same as the Poe Collector.
The Poes may have killed Dampé but I would doubt it and it seems highly unlikely that the little boy became the Poe Collector or would have really tried to bring Dampé back from the dead.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I'm a BIG fan of Michael Jackson but I've never thought to try to resurrect him. The boy would no doubt have been sad at Dampé's death but it's a bit of a stretch to say he would do anything to bring him back.

Who knows? there are crazy people out there

All the rest of this thread

I always thought he was killed by Ganon's minions, I got that impression from the Gerudo symbol above his tomb, or that he got killed because of him being a Gerudo

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The poe collector I think seems older than the young boy could have got in 7 years. I'm sure the poe collector has his own reason for collecting ghosts and I'm sure it's not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom