• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Daily sketches

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Day 6
Siegward of Catarina
1618185884515.png1618186021292.png

Siegward, aka Onionbro. Always down for a Siegbrau, always down to slay monsters. A jolly soul through and through.

Super Sunday Sketch

1618185962740.png

I tried to remember the steps I read on the internet off my head, but it looks like I'm going to have to follow them closely for a while yet if I want to be able to draw faces. I wish art wasn't as much of a gradual process as it is, and it's hard to force myself to draw what I don't want (faces) just to be able to draw what I do want (dark souls character portraits)

I really enjoy what I've seen so far. I don't know Dark Souls characters to know how you're interpreting their designs, but I enjoy the way they look and how you integrate their details into your work. Your sketches have a very rugged and broody quality, which reflects the vibe of Dark Souls pretty well, I'd say.

As for your concerns on faces, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. Drawing faces is more a matter of style in my experience; and I don't think the results you're seeing are a lack of skill then, but just shapes that have yet to assume a style. You're off to a pretty strong start and definitely have a sense of using these shapes well, but you haven't quite established how you wish to use them for faces. The more you draw faces, whether real or cartoon, the more you'll come across your own way of doing it: each artist approaches faces a bit differently, in how they use their shapes, lines and space. And that philosophy really applies to anything in art. I feel this is important to say, because, there really isn't a wrong way to draw anything.

I look forward to seeing more from you.

Mikey the Moblin

I really enjoy what I've seen so far. I don't know Dark Souls characters to know how you're interpreting their designs, but I enjoy the way they look and how you integrate their details into your work. Your sketches have a very rugged and broody quality, which reflects the vibe of Dark Souls pretty well, I'd say.

As for your concerns on faces, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. Drawing faces is more a matter of style in my experience; and I don't think the results you're seeing are a lack of skill then, but just shapes that have yet to assume a style. You're off to a pretty strong start and definitely have a sense of using these shapes well, but you haven't quite established how you wish to use them for faces. The more you draw faces, whether real or cartoon, the more you'll come across your own way of doing it: each artist approaches faces a bit differently, in how they use their shapes, lines and space. And that philosophy really applies to anything in art. I feel this is important to say, because, there really isn't a wrong way to draw anything.

I look forward to seeing more from you.
well, the art style I established when I was a wee teen (very sharp/jagged lines and lots of angles, "rugged" like you noted) doesn't really translate well to realistic faces. I keep laughing because I see a lot of Groose in my faces just because of how I draw my eyes

so for me it's not about "finding my style" and more about forcing myself to learn a different style better suited for the kind of art I want to make for the time being

I appreciate the kind words. Don't you dare go Hollow.

Thats fair. I like to think of my artstyle as both the as it has always been but also like an evolution (or currently a devolution ha) of it. It's hard to figure out how to accommodate new things into a style (and I definitely know the pains of a character being incompatible with my style), which I mean, I guess was my point when I said your faces were yet to be stylized. I think it's something you could manage to incorporate if you strove to do it, but if its not something that you really enjoy working on, then I totally get it. It's cool you're getting yourself out of your comfort zone as you are, though. Big respect.

Mikey the Moblin

Thats fair. I like to think of my artstyle as both the as it has always been but also like an evolution (or currently a devolution ha) of it. It's hard to figure out how to accommodate new things into a style (and I definitely know the pains of a character being incompatible with my style), which I mean, I guess was my point when I said your faces were yet to be stylized. I think it's something you could manage to incorporate if you strove to do it, but if its not something that you really enjoy working on, then I totally get it. It's cool you're getting yourself out of your comfort zone as you are, though. Big respect.
I would never imagine myself being able to sketch your sig banner, for example. That's well beyond my ability lol

Mikey the Moblin

Day 7
Sheps
1618283129988.png

This composition, sketched with graphite on paper, is titled "Sheps". The auction will begin at a modest $2000000000000000000000000000.
So, anyone who's been to art school has probably drawn something similar to this dozens or hundreds of times. You get your shape practice, you get your perspective practice, you get your lighting practice. Chevywolf could try drawing this a few dozen times if they were so inclined ;)

I struggled knowing how to capture the lighting on the tetrahedron because its sharp edge was facing the light source, and I didn't have any tetrahedrons in my room to examine the lighting. The cube is actually misaligned from the top left and the top right as well, but we'll just call it "inverse perspective" because I'm fancy like that. The hard part is applying the technique to sketches, lol. Gotta get there.

Mikey the Moblin

20210814_191102.jpg

This is rosie

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom