• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cultured meat

I'm super excited about this technology. Basically, it's meat grown from animal cells, without slaughtering livestock. I think it will be better for the environment, public health, and, obviously, animal welfare. Cultured meat only has regulatory approval in Singapore so far, but eventually it will reach the US.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I'm super excited about this technology
Ofc you are, given your username :P

I personally don't think this is a good idea. It'll never be as good as real meat, and if they do manage to make it taste good it'll probably be so full of chemicals and junk that there won't be many health benefits.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Huh, never heard of this before. Interesting idea. Dunno how it would taste, and I'm a finicky eater, so I'm not sure if I'm keen to try it.

Last edited:

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I think it's a really interesting concept, although kinda nonviable at the moment due to economical/production reasons. Wouldn't be surprised if it became the standard in the next couple centuries, though.

There's probably still a major stigma around it about people that think it will never taste as good or afraid of it having too many chemicals to make it similar, and I feel like people kinda miss the point here. As far as I know the idea isn't finding a substitute for meat, it's finding an alternative way of obtaining the meat. Lab meat is meat. Meat is meat. It's not like a vegan burger trying to mimic the contents of meat with other stuff, it's literally meat. It probably has some differences from traditional meat because of differences in the fat/muscle ratio and other stuff like this, but it's literally meat, lol. Once it gets fine tuned it will be literally the same composition as normal meat, the only difference is that it was synthetically made.

If anything I feel like it would be healthier than the traditional meat that we eat nowadays that shoves drugs and artificial hormones down the slaughter stock. Not to mention potentially being able to control diseases better like BSE, taeniosis, bacterial infections, etc.

Yeah, it's nutritionally identical to meat. So if you're allergic to seafood, you will be allergic to cultured seafood. From what I've heard, stuff like ground beef will be easier to produce than something more texturally complex, like a steak. But they're working on the latter.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
This raises two questions for me:

1. How expensive will this new meat be to produce?

2. Given that the meat is not being slaughtered in the first place, would Jewish and Muslim communities consider it kosher/halal by default, case-by-case, or not at all?

Anyways, I do share your excitement as it could be a more moral, environmentally friendly, and hopefully healthier way to eat meat. I do not really care where the meat comes from as long as it is real meat and meets all of the health guidelines so I have no qualms with the idea itself.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So long as it tastes like the real thing and is safe while not being more expensive than the real thing then I'd be willing to jump on board. I like the concept and think that it is a good idea if it can be pulled off and made in an economically viable way.

I kinda love this question

I personally think it might cause a few more ramifications in them which is pretty interesting

I haven't followed the issue too closely, but I've heard some cultured meat industry folks have approached Jewish leaders about getting a kosher classification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom