• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cult of Demise (Illuminati confirmed!)

How plausable is the Demise Cult and eye hypothosis?

• Yes, you have found the answer to everything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably; ideas need some tinkering, but you might be on the right idea

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No, but it'll make a really cool fanfiction novel

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
It's commonly accepted the stylized eye signifies Sheikah people, but that doesn't make sense to me. Individuals, like Vatti, Agahnim, Interlopers/Twili, and Veran (maybe Majora), don a stylized eye, but they are not Sheikah. Observing art work, and reading on certain characters and historical events brought me to a grand conclusion-

The eye symbol is a symbol for affiliates of a Demise's Cult.

The beginning cut-scenes of Skyward Sword shows Demise has loyalists when trying to take the Goddesses’ power. I can vision a group of humans being awed by the power of Demise and his goal to gain the power of the deities. Marveled, and maybe feared by Demise’s power, a cult was formed in his honor. Along with revering Demise, the cultists probably also dabbled in theology (knowledge of the Goddesses' power), sorcery (wizards, Fused Shadows, Alter of Demon King), and mysticism of reality and truth (Trinity of Truth). Since an eye is a commonly used symbol for real-world occults, I think it's a short stretch of imagination LoZ creators intend the stylized eye be as that.

At some point a group broke away from the cult's practices and eventually swore fidelity to Hylia. The breakaway group became the Sheikah we all know and love. If my speculation of Demise Cult studied truth is correct (or a really awesome fanfiction), the Sheikah are the cultists who studied truth and reality, because they possess relics. Most likely they broke away from Demise’s Cult because they saw the ‘truth’ of what will if their deity successfully took possession of the Triforce. While Shikah still mark themselves with a stylized eye, they differentiate themselves from the rest of the cult by adding the tear drop. The others, such as Twili, Bellum, and Vatti, don’t have a stylized tear drop.

The Demise Cult could explain why most humans who wear the stylized eye look different from other humans. Because a smaller group of people who stayed on the surface, instead of refuging to Skyloft, their genetic pool became more selective. Red eyes, white and red hair, and mutated skin color (I’m open to speculate discoloration is an outward sign the individual is possessed) became prominent physical traits of the cult. The specific physical features still show up because counter cultures beliefs like to 'keep in the family' generally speaking. Villainous characters, like Chancellor Cole and Twinrova, don't wear an eye insignia, but has some of distinguishable physical features mentioned.

A cult could also explain why there are individuals who are constantly trying to revive the darkly Demon King. Devoted followers of Demise still exist, and still try to revive him -either through Ganon or Malladus. They hope Demise will get his wish, and become the ultimate god of old. And being disciples of #1 can feel pretty good, maybe even powerful.

So, if you come across someone with an eye, but no tear drop, it's best to run 'em through, they might have a wicked connection.

It's really some idea I've been dabbling with. Do what you want with it.

c51a5ed174.png

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Feels like i am putting a bullet in this but the Eye you see worn by the Sheikah if i remember right first appeared in OOT so no i doubt it's anything to do with demise. Why would people dedicated to the royal family use a symbol for demise? Also Majora's Mask itself is a Heart shaped object and is stylised as representing the Sun as the Fierce Deity the Moon, which is kinda funny if you look at the Anju and Kafei sidequest. The guy has the sun mask wheras the girl has the moon mask. but then again they are trading the masks to one another.

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
I use to play with the idea of a cult which rooted far back before OoT's debut of Ganondorf history - even before SS confirmed Demises role behind his continual resurrection.

Aghanim:
Ahah... Link! I have been waiting for you! Heh heh heh... I was hoping I could make Zelda vanish in front of your eyes. Behold! The last moment of Princess Zelda!
Ho ho ho... With this, the seal of the seven sages is at last broken. It is now only a matter of time before evil power covers this land completely... After all, the legendary Hero cannot defeat us, the tribe of evil, when we are armed with the Power of Gold. Ho ho ho... Now, I must go!

While this may have referred to Ganon's army specifically, it always seemed to be rooted further back in his awakening as a 'demon' in the first place. I think its safe to assume that the Trident of Power is related to Demise, and its position within the Gerudo Desert isn't by coincidence. Koume and Kotake act as Ganondorf's surrogate mothers - The oracle games show us that they have an extensive knowledge on how to revive Ganon with the aid of Princess Zelda's powers (sounds familiar). FSA elaborates on the Zuna's ancestors building the ancient temples to secure the Trident of Power. It may be safe to assume that their may have been a sect recruited by the Twinrova sisters to build their campaign towards conquering Hyrule. Between ALttP and OoX references, Onox, Veran, and a great deal of others within the Dark World, are all affiliated under Ganon's agents from the Dark World/Realm.

The relation between the Interlopers, Sheikah, and this 'tribe of evil' are probably fixed differently between AT, CT, and DT, outcomes, but their presence prior to OoT split timeline events remain universal between the three arks. This might account for the different variations of the 'eye' markings as well. (Interesting how the 'eye of truth' was inscribed on a stone in the middle of the Gerudo Desert to lead travelers through it)

Your theory has merit in some sense, good job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom