• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Cryptids in Zelda

Some of you are wondering what a cryptid is. A cryptid is basically a UMA, Unidentified Mysterious Animal. Think Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Jersey Devil and the like. There was even a cartoon a while back called the Secret Saturdays about cryptids. Why am I bringing this up? Because there are at least two instances in the series to feature some form of cryptids. The most prominent is, of course, the Yetis in Twilight Princess. Another example I'm sure people are going to bring up is "Them" from Majora's Mask, based on various alien sightings, such as the Flatwoods monster incident.

I actually like the idea of cryptozoological creatures appearing in the series, especially if they are actually treated as creatures not many believe exist like "Them".

Do you think it's a good idea to see more these? Especially if they are treated like actually cryptids in the series, as in some believe in them while some don't?

Yes, it adds to the lore and atmosphere of the individual game which is always a good thing. I'd add that while it may not specifically relate to the topic, the mysterious claw marks on the tree in Lake Hylia in OoT came from an as of now unknown creature.

ILU

i luv u
I like them so long as they don't get out of hand and seem silly. I did like the inclusion of the Yetis, but I also felt like they were a tad silly. I mean, snowboarding was fun, but snowboarding with a Yeti is just absurd. Probably wouldn't have bothered me in a game like TWW or SS where the style allows for a lot more levity, but it seemed so out of place in a game that tried so hard to be taken seriously.

I like how it was done in Majora's Mask because not only did it reference real-life myths, it also referenced actual events- The Cattle Files.

I'd like to see more cryptids or references to them in Zelda as long as they are done in a manner that makes them feel native to the game's story and environment.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I love it when they put mysterious and mythical creatures like that in Zelda games. The Yetis were hilarious, and the aliens were awesome! I mean, they would have to be handled well, but I really would not mind seeing these cryptids again in future Zelda titles.

Though, I am not saying that Nintendo should put Sasquatches in the next Zelda game...

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah definatley, great idea. It could be something encountered randomly in the field or in some area of the game where the creature has supposedly been sighted. The loch Hylia monster for instance.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Very interesting topic! Yes, I think there should be more, but not too overboard. Like having to defend the ranch so the cows dont get abducted by aliens is fine. Going onto the alien spaceship and flying to their planet is not fine. Nintendo already has Metroid and Starfox for stuff like that.

The yetis were cool, and I think they did well with the some believe in them some don't thing. I wonder if they were the last of their kind or there were others out there...

I knew what this thread would be about as soon as I saw the name, I have an interest in some cryptids, but I don't consider aliens to be cryptids, the moth man is a cryptid depending on what you believe it could have been the chupacabra is a cryptid.

I would like to see more mysterious animals and or life forms in the series so long as they don't push it too far.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I think it would be cool for the series to feature "not-real" cryptids. What I mean is, not creatures that some people believe are out there in the real world (and other people laugh at them over) like Nessie or Sasquatch, but something specific to the world. There could be legends of some kind of fantasy animal out there ("I swear it! I saw the Winged White Stag!" - "You've had too much milk at the bar, Bonoruu!" ) and Link can encounter someone reasearching it, who is not believed by others...

Wait a minute. Zelda did that. Shad and his belief in the Oocca while the rest of Hyrule called him a "dream-chaser." And Shad turned out to be right, becasue Link met the cosmic abominations.

That said, I like Hyrule's Yetis. They're adorable.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I want 'Them' to return in another Zelda game, with perhaps a remastered version of that side quest on a ranch. That would be great fun. I think it would be even cooler if it was a series of side quests, like some sort of sub-plot. I either want this or the 'Loch Hylia Monster'.

Skittles

Rainbows!
Wait a minute. Zelda did that. Shad and his belief in the Oocca while the rest of Hyrule called him a "dream-chaser." And Shad turned out to be right, becasue Link met the cosmic abominations.

Yes, those things are horribly freaky. That's something I wish he'd been wrong about...

Still the inclusion of myths makes it seem like the myths existed, but only in myths. I wouldn't mind seeing something 'real' in our world turn out to be a cryptid in theirs. It would just be so ironic, and as long as it isn't rather weird that the creature does not exist, then I wouldn't mind Ninty using this kind of idea as a joke at some point...:)

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I think it would be cool for the series to feature "not-real" cryptids. What I mean is, not creatures that some people believe are out there in the real world (and other people laugh at them over) like Nessie or Sasquatch, but something specific to the world. There could be legends of some kind of fantasy animal out there ("I swear it! I saw the Winged White Stag!" - "You've had too much milk at the bar, Bonoruu!" ) and Link can encounter someone reasearching it, who is not believed by others...

That said, I like Hyrule's Yetis. They're adorable.

Yes, those things are horribly freaky. That's something I wish he'd been wrong about...

Still the inclusion of myths makes it seem like the myths existed, but only in myths. I wouldn't mind seeing something 'real' in our world turn out to be a cryptid in theirs. It would just be so ironic, and as long as it isn't rather weird that the creature does not exist, then I wouldn't mind Ninty using this kind of idea as a joke at some point...:)

Both of these are really cool ideas, i just felt the need to say that. otherwise i have nothing else to add

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think there indeed are cryptids actually unearthed in the Zeldaverse...take, for example, Moldarach from Skyward Sword and other :? like that...

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I think there indeed are cryptids actually unearthed in the Zeldaverse...take, for example, Moldarach from Skyward Sword and other :? like that...

I hope you havent Trade Marked using :dry: for swear words cuz im stealing it. Very Cleaver home girl

There's also the Great Fairy that the old man saw in ALttP. Every time you talk to him he insists on making you believe he saw her. The fairy's aren't that cryptid because most people know about them but ALttP's world didn't seem to believe in them. At least that's what I can remember...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom