• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Creatures of Zelda: Weight and height

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
So this came about from another thread and a subsequent discussion about it in the SB, why on earth are so many creatures in hyrule so ridiculously overlarge? We see the average human generally tops out around 6 feet and yet we see creatures such as Gohma, Moldugas, Lynels all so very much bigger, every enemy and most creatures seem to reach massive size fairly easily.

It seems to me it falls under several categories, Oxygen, Food, Magic and Genetics.

Oxygen = as we learnt about the dinosaurs heightended levels of oxygen allowed larger creatures to survive and populate the world, Hyrule in and of itself seems to have enough greenery to make it a possibility.

Food = Due to the Larger levels of oxygen, creatures such as herbivores can graze in larger quantities and thus grow larger providing far more food to the carnivorous occupants of hyrule allowing them to become large and far stronger as well.

Magic = Clearly with some creatures Magic as been at work such as Moblins and Lynels, some creatures would seem incapable of actually feeding due to being a hybridization.

Genetics = With creatures that've grown so large, they are able to produce larger children and this will eventually work their way into the genes.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
poor link starving and skinny. looking at the Hinoxs we conclude that link is lacking survival advantage

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
poor link starving and skinny. looking at the Hinoxs we conclude that link is lacking survival advantage

Actually yes we can come to that conclusion, it seems like Hylians are really edged out of the "food" niche in terms of growth just for the fact there are Larger or more agile creatures around who can bring down prey far quicker than them. Not to mention in Hyrule i'd doubt humans are top of the food chain.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Actually yes we can come to that conclusion, it seems like Hylians are really edged out of the "food" niche in terms of growth just for the fact there are Larger or more agile creatures around who can bring down prey far quicker than them. Not to mention in Hyrule i'd doubt humans are top of the food chain.
the food chain might go like this lynel--hinox--bokoblins=Lizafos

Sesshowmall

Height Scaler
Do Gorons actually eat rocks or it's something like the woodpecker: it doesn't eat wood, it eat worms that inhabit the material. I'm asking this because what material would be used to scale gorons wheight: rocks, proteins, rock-like proteins? I guess their physiology is the most intriguing around Hyrule.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Do Gorons actually eat rocks or it's something like the woodpecker: it doesn't eat wood, it eat worms that inhabit the material. I'm asking this because what material would be used to scale gorons wheight: rocks, proteins, rock-like proteins? I guess their physiology is the most intriguing around Hyrule.

OOT Gorons were starving because they could gain access to Dodongo's Cavern which had the choicest rock for them, which is somewhat amusing as they coulda just ate the boulder, in MM we also gain an item known as Rock Sirloin which is used to help a Goron return home and obtain Don Gero's Mask, HOWEVER the Rock Sirloin is shown to be on a bone, whether this was a bit or artistic liberation on the the designers side or if it's actually Dogongo Flesh remains to be seen really, yes i did say Dodongo Flesh, we see lots of baby ones in the Cavern and even some immature adults but judging by King Dodongo they can be alot larger (unless changed by magic) so it would appear Dodongo's either cull them or the "choicest rock" is actually dodongo meat and they rear them for food.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
OOT Gorons were starving because they could gain access to Dodongo's Cavern which had the choicest rock for them, which is somewhat amusing as they coulda just ate the boulder, in MM we also gain an item known as Rock Sirloin which is used to help a Goron return home and obtain Don Gero's Mask, HOWEVER the Rock Sirloin is shown to be on a bone, whether this was a bit or artistic liberation on the the designers side or if it's actually Dogongo Flesh remains to be seen really, yes i did say Dodongo Flesh, we see lots of baby ones in the Cavern and even some immature adults but judging by King Dodongo they can be alot larger (unless changed by magic) so it would appear Dodongo's either cull them or the "choicest rock" is actually dodongo meat and they rear them for food.
I think they COULDNT gain access to Dondongos cavern...

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Whilst it's interesting to postulate how and why such sizes would occur, I'm not sure using real world science is going to be particularly fruitful. Particular the point about oxygen is a good point but ultimately something I never expect the Devs to have thought about. Big creatures make intimidating enemies if used right, and so often the answer to how this creature got so big is going to simply be because the designer wanted it to be big.

I don't want to be too negative, and so I will contribute the idea that there are many huge creatures that seemed to have died over the years. The leviathans in BotW, creatures such as Stallord in Twilight Princess. It may well be that much larger creatures were once far more common but have died out as humans took over the land following Skyward Sword

Then we should shut down the theory and world of zelda sub forums by this logic, the vast majority of things in the zeldaverse wouldn't operate under real world dynamics. In terms of the series of course the devs don't give it any thought they want a big ass intimidating creature for a fight, it just comes down to the fans to postulate why such a creature exists or even how, beyond the usual "magic monster" explaination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom