• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Creating a Champion: Impressions

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So by now I'm sure most of us are aware of the Breath of the Wild book, Creating a Champion (Master Works in Japan). How many of us have bought it? Did you buy it by itself, or did you buy one of the special editions? What do you think of it so far?

I bought the Champion Edition, so mine came with Divine Beast glass orbs, a Calamity Ganon tapestry, and a bunch of cool prints of the Champions. I'm currently on page 202, so I'm two-thirds of the way through all the art concepts and stuff. I haven't reached any of the lore sections of the book yet, so I can't speak on that. But, I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing so far. For example, the concept of the ancient armor is soooo much better than what we got, like, for real. Also, they had plans to give us an actual canine companion for the base game, but we got Wolf Link amiibo instead. ripoff

I love BotW to death, and I'm loving reading about all this cool stuff just as much. How about the rest of you?

So my boys got me the special edition for christmas (i dont deserve them).

I've only flipped through it but I really love Mipha's early design of her fins opening when she is in combat. I think it's a much more interesting and cuter design.

493.jpg

I also like the early designs of the Divine Beasts, they're more whimsical and have a Howl's Moving Castle vibe that I really like about them.

Also there's a lot of lore in the back of the book. This could have been a very interesting game to play but it feels as if none of the finer details of the struggles actually made it into the game. They should have put more effort into putting those elements into the game. Probably would have made the story much stronger and given it more scope and actually made it feel like the whole kingdom went down.

Last edited:
I think I really have to buy it soon now that you mentioned it has some lore related content as well and early designs of the game, not only merchandise.
Can't get enough of BotW :)

Hmm.... doesn’t that sound a bit like they want to reboot the lore? I mean if they are saying that the timeline is a myth.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I got a chance to flip through the book and it was pretty interesting. I like the little picture of Link's family. Makes me wonder how life was like for them.
Also the idea of the timeline being a "myth" and letting the fans make their own ideas is very exciting to me

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don’t think the timeline can entirely be a myth because the game directly references events of OoT as predating the 10,000 year gap by quite a bit. However I like the myth thing because I prefer to think of the games more as “legends”. I think it’s more charming that way.

Does anyone have the hero edition of creating champion? If someone could be so kind and measure how big the Hyrule map is, that would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Finally ordered mine and got it delivered today. I chose the Hero's Edition because I prefer the Hyrule crest orb to Champion's orbs.
I'm very impressed by the quality of the product. I got chills when I put BotW soundtrack playing and browsed briefly the book and admired the other stuff. The size of the Hyrule map is huge.
Also ordered a new well-tuned ocarina.
K6oHthy.jpg

One thing i find quite interesting is that in the 'History of Hyrule' lore section, the chronology speaks about the entirety established Zelda timeline as the 'era of myth'.
Yes, and the intro of TWW says that OoT is a legend, which like myths are not always truth, but we know that the events of OoT happened in the same history as TWW. It's flavour text. If it was really trying to say that nothing else happened, then we would have no explanation for Ganon or why he's devoid of his humanity, and it would be in its own chronology and not at the end of one of the three branches as Aonuma has said.

PG. 363 has an interesting tidbit:

''Ganon, having long lost his reason, becomes Calamity Ganon, a pure incarnation of hatred and malice for the royal family of Hyrule and the chosen hero.''

So, it's saying that Ganon's constant revivals eventually turned him into CG? Interesting. I wonder if other demons can exist in the living world without a body if revived enough times?

Also, both Ganon's constant revivals and the mention of him ''having long lost his reason'' more or less confirms that BotW is in the DT, as far as I'm concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom