• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cows?..

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
Has anyone thought that the cows being in some secret caverns were odd? What could they be doing there? How do they get there?

I'm thinking of two things.

1) Nintendo just put them there as a source of milk in more places around Hyrule.

2) "they" (as in the alien/ghosts) put them there. They travel in a sphere of light!? Why couldn't they put them there. Why would they though? Maybe they travel the universe(s), searching for good milk? So when they abduct cows, and their milk isn't good enough, they leave them under the ground, so they will know where they are, but it will be harder for others to steal them?

Maybe it's a simple as number 1. But out of all places why would Nintendo put them in underground caverns?

Izagar

Working on a webcomic. :D
I have an idea: RANDOM SPAWNING COWS.

Nah kidding. Although they could just be random character placements.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
"they" (as in the alien/ghosts) put them there.

Come off it. When has Zelda ever had reference to aliens? Its medieval, not Sci-fi.

The obvious explanation (the one which no one wants to hear) is that they are just there because Nintendo wanted to use them as an easter egg. However, I think everything in Zelda, no matter how obscure, has to have some actual explanation. Just because its more fun that way.

A plausible yet ridiculous explanation is just merely that the cow(s) were grazing and fell into one of the holes, then being a cow couldn't climb back out. However, I remember there being one if these cows on top of death mountain, where there is no grass, so I don't see how that explanation could be valid.

Another explanation, is that there is a cow hater in the world of hyrule who gets some form of sadistic delights from trapping cows down holes. Again, incredibly unlikely.

The most believable explanation, is again ridiculous. It is that these are a special breed of cows, who strive in dark dingy areas I.E underground caves. And, therefore, when they are born, they hunt for a hole -or maybe even dig their own,- climb into it, and live happily ever after.

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
There are cow stealing aliens in Majora's Mask, which i think has many cows under ground, more than OoT
It wasn't actually stated they were aliens, but there's plenty of evidence, whether they're actually supposed to be aliens or not, it's at least a reference to aliens. I've heard about cow's being abducted by UFOs and their page on zelda wiki pointed out that the cow stealing event in Majora's Mask was very similar to a different encounter (with cow stealing and everything).

E

Esscex

Come off it. When has Zelda ever had reference to aliens? Its medieval, not Sci-fi.

Umm, have you ever heard of a game called Majora's Mask? You should check it out, cause there are aliens in the game...

Also, the game is not medieval. It is really it's own type of culture/era, but if anything, it's more Celtic than medieval.

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
Umm, have you ever heard of a game called Majora's Mask? You should check it out, cause there are aliens in the game...

Also, the game is not medieval. It is really it's own type of culture/era, but if anything, it's more Celtic than medieval.

Yes, that's right. Plus, it seemed like they totally were aliens in Majora's Mask, they flew down and stole cows with RAY BEAMS (most probably from UFOs), plus, in my opinion, they looked like some sort of floating aliens. Haven't you guys heard of aliens coming down in UFOs and taking people into space with ray beams? Eek! If my calculations are correct, Majora's Mask = War of the Worlds. :P Just kidding.

Anyway, back on the idea of the thread, I think I'll go with your second idea of "Them" putting the cows there. Unless of course Romani says "they" kill the cows at some point in the game. It's not like a cow in either Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time could even fit through the holes in the ground anyway. So they couldn't just step in and fall down. This is quite interesting, it's kind of like how do the cows just magically produce milk because the song is soothing.

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
Yes, that's right. Plus, it seemed like they totally were aliens in Majora's Mask, they flew down and stole cows with RAY BEAMS (most probably from UFOs), plus, in my opinion, they looked like some sort of floating aliens. Haven't you guys heard of aliens coming down in UFOs and taking people into space with ray beams? Eek! If my calculations are correct, Majora's Mask = War of the Worlds. :P Just kidding.

Anyway, back on the idea of the thread, I think I'll go with your second idea of "Them" putting the cows there. Unless of course Romani says "they" kill the cows at some point in the game. It's not like a cow in either Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time could even fit through the holes in the ground anyway. So they couldn't just step in and fall down. This is quite interesting, it's kind of like how do the cows just magically produce milk because the song is soothing.
Romani never said anything about cows being killed. One thing that has just interested me are the two cows in majora's mask that must be found by placing a bomb on the ground!? They were well hidden and how were they surviving down there? Maybe "they" were taking care of the cows.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
What? There is aliens in MM? That is... awful. Stupid and awful. I apologise then, I never expected them to include aliens in any Zelda. I thought they had more sense than that. As to UFO's putting the cows underground.... I am unsure. There are none in OoT, perhaps they are Termina specific?

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
Romani never said anything about cows being killed. One thing that has just interested me are the two cows in majora's mask that must be found by placing a bomb on the ground!? They were well hidden and how were they surviving down there? Maybe "they" were taking care of the cows.

Yeah, I didn't think Romani said anything about "Them" killing the cows anyway, it was just a sudden thought. Also, about the cows in the holes: I like your idea a lot. They could have been caring for the cows down there. I never knew of many locations of cows until I found ZD. :thinking:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I thought Romani did say aliens, but I trust you, havent played MM in a while.

Romani never uses the word "aliens".
She only refers to them as "them" or "they".
Even though the method they use to abduct cows is very alien-ish, we can assume that they are poes.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Well I remember finding one on Death Mountain, but I never knew about the other ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom