• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Couldn't BotW be in fact Lorule? Contains Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BlackWolf//WhiteAngel When something big happens no, but if they are destroyed, which this Hylia has been without its ruler for 100 years, and no one else has assumed that role. Hyrule as a country would have been considered long dead at that point....

All of your evidence applies to this theory as well, and since the fight between Link and Ganon was obviously technoligified, it ALSO could've taken place in an alternate reality. Maybe everyone THINKS it's Hyrule, but it's really somewhere different.
Yes, that is another great way of thinking about it.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
In case you missed it, Nintendo themselves told us to forget everything we knew about TLOZ for BotW. They even trademarked the damned quote (http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-master-edition-switch). Given the Japanese, this is more than a superficial statement of "Oh look, the controls and mechanics are different," they could have said this at any point after Link's Awakening. However, they planned on straying from the Zelda we knew and BotW is supposed to encompass that. With your hell-bent manner of trying to brow beat someone into thinking the same as you do, you are trying to fit BotW into a mold that Nintendo claims have broken already.

OH yeah because nintendo has the fandoms best interests at heart. By this point what nintendo says and means are more convoluted than darks souls timelines and lemmie tell you that's hella convoluted

If you hold an object in your hands you have that object. If you draw a picture of that object and hold it, you have a picture of said object. Symbols are what represent something. They are but pictures that help people self-identify. At the end of BotW, Zelda says she can accept that after dealing with Ganon, she's exhausted her own power. She did not say she can accept that she no longer can access the Triforce, or that the power she wielded was ever something other that her own. This again hints that the symbol that shows when she dealt with Ganon was a symbol of herself (likely that of her proud heritage), not some object that randomly decided to show up.

been established in prior games that zelda's power has a link through to the triforce wouldn't be surprised if it originally came from it

I have to disagree with this, if the Triforce were able to decide who was worthy, neither Hyrule, nor Lorule would have had anyone trying to take control of it. Simply letting people try to wield it and letting them fail would have put any hope of its use to rest. Another way of looking at it would be that the Triforce would stop working when Link took it back from Ganon, b/c it had decided to act in accordance with Ganon's ideology. This is not this case as anyone who gets their hands on it seems to be able to use it for good or evil. Leading to the opposite of what you have said, the Triforce bestows is power indiscriminately to whoever holds it. QED Zelda did not have the Triforce, nor did it just show up conveniently to seal Ganon, because until the moment of necessity Zelda had no power.
Don't try to say that the Triforce only displays its power in a crisis, b/c in more than one game Ganon using the Triforce's power is to blame for the crisis Link is tasked with fixing.

This shows more than anything your foolishness. IT HAS BEEN CLEARLY SHOWN TO HAVE A CONSCIOUS, it has even been shown to speak. If it didn't have any ability to choose who got it's parts it'd be with random people instead of the three reincarnies. The triforce as a whole can only be used by one who has a balance of Power, Courage and Wisdom such as SS Link but if an imbalanced person touches it, it splits as shown in OOT and it chooses those who most represent a part. The triforce has in fact been used as a goddamn deus ex machina several times, SS and WW being prominent.

Said who, when? The thing about parallel worlds is that one can end and it doesn't effect the other. A parallel world is no different than an altered possibility tree that results in a vastly different world. Even if they can be aligned in some way, the alignment is merely a convenience issue. In fact, were one to interact with the other world, that same person may or not interact with the same time again in subsequent attempts of interaction. What you propose in marrying the worlds is that Lorule's decision to destroy their Triforce would have resulted in both worlds ending had nothing been done to stop it. If you do not agree that this would have happened, then you agree that Hyrule and Lorule are completely independent of eachother timeline and all.

The actual damn definition for you: A parallel universe is a hypothetical self-contained reality co-existing with one's own. A specific group of parallel universes are called a "multiverse", although this term can also be used to describe the possible parallel universes that constitute reality. While the terms "parallel universe" and "alternative reality" are generally synonymous and can be used interchangeably in most cases, there is sometimes an additional connotation implied with the term "alternative reality" that implies that the reality is a variant of our own. The term "parallel universe" is more general, without any connotations implying a relationship, or lack of relationship, with our own universe. A universe where the very laws of nature are different – for example, one in which there are no Laws of Motion – would in general count as a parallel universe but not an alternative reality and a concept between both fantasy world and earth.

Or in dumb terms: Runs side by side without crossing except in a few special points where one thing is generally different.

Yet they claim to do everything in their power to aide the royal family? They knew as much about the guardians and divine beasts as anyone in BotW. They were the heads of the research and they were not controlling the information they obtained through their testing, otherwise Zelda would have known nothing of the research instead of being a central figure in it. And knowing of the Triforce and not letting anyone know about it can be said to constitute siding with Ganon, something the Sheikah and Deku Tree would not have done.

They are literally spies and assassins of course they aide them, and yes They did withhold information on their research, zelda apparantly knows nothing of Cherry or Purria (or however it's said) age experiments. Hell the entire game literally resembles Zelda 1's collectathon in that we need to gather information, gear ourselves instead of it being almost literally handed to us. The entire game shrine mechanic serves to test links, courage wisdom and power. The sheikah knew of the triforce otherwise why'd the trials act as they do?

You are again mistaken about how this rolls. I'm not saying Hilda was BotW Zelda's mother. I'm say that BotW Zelda is Hilda's ancestor.

Game takes place over 10k years beyond any of the established timeline.

WRONG! Let me quote Hilda for you: "Lorule was just like Hyrule. So very beautiful. So very... promising." "Long ago, Lorule possess a sacred golden treasure. It could grant the wish of anyone who touched it. It was known as the Triforce in our world, as it is in yours." "Yuga discovered that there was a strange crack in this grim slate... Through it, we could sense that there was another world beyond ours... A place where the Triforce still existed. He and I devised the scheme that imperiled your kingdom." "My Lorule may remind you of your home. But, in fact, our kingdoms are as different as night and day..." Several time she demonstrates that she had knowledge of the inner workings of Hyrule. She admitted to peering through the crack and sensing the Triforce. She even admits that she was not manipulated into being a part of the plot that would have destroyed Hyrule. Through her words, it is hinted that she'd even been in Hyrule to see its beauty.

sweet jesus you are dense, HOW CAN SHE HAVE KNOWN ABOUT HYRULE IF THEY WERE PARALLEL REALMS. She only learned of hyrule via said crack a special place where worlds connect, in other words the power of guess what... THE TRIFORCE.

Who can say how long it was that she studied Hyrule from Lorule? Obviously, it was long enough for her to make comparisons with the ancient Lorule. But who is to say that it wasn't long enough to at least adopt a pseudonym before a traveler from the other world became through?

Long enough to gain knowledge of current system of hyrule and some it's legends but not long enough to know long term history. You can infact argue that Ravio had a more indepth knowledge of Hyrule as he found the hero first.

You do know how scientific theory is developed, right? Theory building atop theory is how this world gets **** done. It's life and it flies everywhere.

Honestly, BotW Zelda and Link start at trying to rebuild a ruined Kingdom in the end. But, Hyrule is no more, and if Zelda were to be the ruler of the kingdom brought to its knees. The only fitting name for the new kingdom would be "Lorule."

No she wouldn't for much the same reason as hilda wouldn't call hers hyrule. Their kingdom survived cataclysmic events they'd want it known it was THEIR kingdom not someone elses that survived it.

@Shironagi Getting an audience to read subtext is good writing, be it in a book, game, movie or whatever, if you say subtext isn't important, play a Metroid, save Fusion (though the mostly missed subtext in it was also amazing), game and see how effective subtext tells a story. I will, kindly, quit being snide when you, kindly, quit being shallow.

Saved this for last.

Again conjecture and nothing of substance come back when you've gotten some actual damned evidence to link the games. Subtext means squat in this game. Hell if nintendo did indeed say to forget it all then that includes silly notions of Lorule having links to BOTW. Kinda played yourself there. I'm just gonna wait for you to claim hebra region is frozen death mountain.

Played metroid and those games were built around their subtext the unsaid and unwritten zelda isn't, it's relied on story telling to drive it home not anything else.

Show me where the shallowness is. If shutting down a headcanon is shallow so be it. Truth is truth kid.

Kindly don't respond to me because so far you've provided nothing to prove anything. And it's getting tedious telling you again and again why it's headcanon and not a theory.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It doesn't make sense that this would be Lorule.
Also there are mentions of this being Hyrule.
"Link...You are the light.......That must shine upon Hyrule once again."
"The history of Hyrule is the history of the calamity Ganon."
It makes no sense if this was taking place in Lorule.
This^^^

In the game it is made very clear that the events take place in Hyrule and NOT Lorule. Especially in one of the sidequests you're doing (the 10 Zora stone monuments) it's made very clear that this is HYRULE and not Lorule.
One of the stone entries is about their ancestor Ruto. It literally says that before the Great Calamity and even before Vah Ruta was created, there was a Zora princess Ruto after whom Vah Ruta was named. This princess woke up as a sage and faced the foe alongside the princess of Hyrule and the Hero of Legend. Her achievements were remembered not only by the Zora but also through Hyrule itself. It was no coincidence that Mipha -the zora princess- was chosen to control Vah Ruta.

Through the game you'll get several hints that this is definitely the same Hyrule as it was before and NOT Lorule. It's okay to have theories but you can't just dismiss the evidence handed over to you in the game itself and not just by the main quest. Sidequests help a lot too.

Pen

The game is on!
It's little cute that you believe that the two separate dimensions/universes that contain Hyrule and Lorule have to have times that flow together. What makes them flow together, or even "at the same time"? Such jumping in dimensions is no different that jump from now to some large number of years into the future.

Hyrule and Lorule are not just the same world in different time periods. The game isn't called A Link Between Eras. Hyrule and Lorule are clearly two different yet similar Worlds.

Besides, if the Triforce in BotW had already been destroyed when the game starts, why isn't the game world covered in constant darkness? In ALBW it is described that the land went dark after the Triforce was destroyed. So if the Triforce is no longer around in BotW, the world should be way darker than it is. And since Hyrule is as bright in BotW as it always is, we can safely assume that the Triforce is indeed still present.

It's an interesting theory overall but your lack of proof makes it feel unlikely and far-fetched.

Game takes place over 10k years beyond any of the established timeline.

To be fair, the game doesn't necessarily take place after one of the timelines. All we really know is that it takes place after OoT and that Ganon has made several appearances prior to the game. There could easily have been Ganon appearances that we just haven't seen in a game yet, so because of this BotW COULD potentially take place somewhere in the middle of one of the three timelines. Not saying I think that's the case, just pointing out the possibility.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
@Pendio game states ganon has transcended the reincarnation cycle we see that he operates within that limit throughout all other games. This one takes place 10k years beyond one of the established timelines

Having played Wind Waker since I was on here I found something interesting in the beginning. On Outset, on the door of Link's house there resides the symbol of the upside-down Triforce. Now, the Triforce is a definite entity in that game, and in all rights should not have been turned that way, but it was. This also brings to mind the Yiga, whose symbol was an upside-own Sheikah eye. This is again me reading sub-text but doesn't, in both instances, the change to the symbology shows that when Hyrule's residents have serious disagreements about something, or possibly lose belief in something, they take that symbol and flip it. You have the Triforce symbol flipped when Hyrule was sealed under the great sea and the eye flipped when the Yiga split from the Sheikah. The Triforce symbol is also flipped in Lorule, but we only encounter it AFTER it's been long destroyed, so who is to say how it was oriented before?

The term "parallel universe" is more general, without any connotations implying a relationship, or lack of relationship, with our own universe.
Your own statement about it defeats your argument. As soon as you say "parallel" you no longer apply a relationship, no matter how similar two universes may be. If you look at the basics of the "many-worlds interpretation" you would understand that no world, no matter how similar, has influence over, or is linked with any other world beyond their mutual divergence. So don't argue about something when you are just going to be showing no understanding of it.

Pendio game states ganon has transcended the reincarnation cycle we see that he operates within that limit throughout all other games. This one takes place 10k years beyond one of the established timelines
The game does not say he transcended it. Zelda states "He has given up on reincarnation and assumed his pure, enraged form." Transcending reincarnation is becoming enlightened and heading to Nirvana. Opting out, in this case is using all of one's own existence to attain all the power from it in one life.

Hyrule and Lorule are not just the same world in different time periods. The game isn't called A Link Between Eras. Hyrule and Lorule are clearly two different yet similar Worlds.
Considering what is actually on the official timeline, it's not even "A Link Between Worlds" its "A Link to the Past". If you want to argue that they are completely different, that fine we're not really working with canon anyway. If you want to say that ALBW is a remake of ALTTP, essentially Nintendo has officially told us it is "A Link Between [Eras]".

No she wouldn't for much the same reason as hilda wouldn't call hers hyrule. Their kingdom survived cataclysmic events they'd want it known it was THEIR kingdom not someone elses that survived it.
Only Hyrule didn't survive it. The Monarchy has been dead for 100 years. There were only three towns for the populace of "Hyrule," one of which is specifically the Sheikah, all of them in the east, or south-east. The Zora, Goron, Gerudo, Korok and Ruto are in their own lands, governing themselves. Essentially, what was once a great nation has been trampled and become a hand-full of city-states that aren't held together at all. There is no common law, and there isn't much interaction among them either. I wouldn't call that surviving, even if Ganon were to be defeated and Zelda comes "back from the dead". After BotW Hyrule just isn't Hyrule anymore. The same as Europe not being the Roman Empire or any other country/empire that has come and gone. Lorule can easily be derived from "The rule was brought low," which is exactly what has happened.

Show me where the shallowness is. If shutting down a headcanon is shallow so be it. Truth is truth....

Kindly don't respond to me because so far you've provided nothing to prove anything. And it's getting tedious telling you again and again why it's headcanon and not a theory.
When did theory become "proven fact"? All theory is head-canon, be it what we theorise about ancient cultures or what we come up with to explain how the world works. It's someone's head-canon that fits the sub-text observed. Facts are facts, indisputable, often hidden, and created by someone. In this case, Nintendo is the only authority. Anyone who sees the title of this thread should already know its conjecture and head-canon; its a theory after all. As the originator of the post I have kept up my role as the defender of the theory, I have given what I have observed that has influenced this and even did more research when prompted. The "shallowness" is your complete disregard for the intended light spirit of this thread. You have approached it as if I were professing that I had found some hidden absolute truth behind the Zelda universe, and you absolutely had to stamp out the heresy. Worst of all is that you have not sited any sources other than yourself to back your own arguments. Seek to enlighten, not to ridicule.

Pen

The game is on!
All theory is head-canon

You're wrong. A theory is supposed to be based on something. Do you think the big bang theory was just something the scientists thought sounded cool? No, of course they had plenty of evidence and research to back it up. Though of course they could not claim it to be fact since they couldn't be 100% sure of it, but with the still solid evidence it is a very worthy theory. The big bang theory is definitely not head canon, as you just admitted to yours being. This sub-forum is supposed to focus on Zelda theorising, not on baseless head canons. I'm sorry.

EDIT: This discussion won't gain anything further so I will go ahead and lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom