• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could you use your current PS3 hard drive in a new PS3?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've mentioned that I'm having issues with my PS3, the disc drive is having ejection problems, and I'm worried that this could disrupt games down the line. I would really like to get a new PS3, but I do not want to lose my downloads, installs, etc. And buying another PS3 with a larger hard drive is pretty expensive still, so I just wanted to hear if it's possible to say buy a new 12Gb PS3 and transfer my current PS3's hard drive to it and keep my content?

I did a quick internet search and came up with this:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive/1100-6176090/

So the answer to your question is yes. As long as the HDDs are the same size. 2.5 inch SATA (basic notebook HDD) I believe but best to check before you start doing this. And I would go 7200 RPM also (but 5400 RPM would work as well but not as well obviously.) If I was you I'd just buy a new HDD and put it in your existing PS3. No need to buy a new PS3 for this. Cheaper to get a bigger HDD on it's own I think. Just pick your favourite brand of HDD. No need to get a Sony one.
And I would look up some better how to guides before you start this too.

[edit] I think I misunderstood you. But I see the problem now. it's with the optical drive. And yes you can do what you want. It might be cheaper/easier than a new optical drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom