• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could we use lasers to intercept ICBMs?

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Hey ZD,

I know I'm not the only one who thought of this, but I wonder why I never hear this idea. By now we have laser-cutting machines that are commercially available (and some of them are even able to cut through metal). So wouldn't that mean that all we have to do is increase the range and intensity of the typical laser cutter?

I believe that this would be better than the current missile defense systems that use guided missiles because the laser would probably be able to travel faster. Plus, it would probably be cheaper per shot because it basically just uses light and gas.

What do you all think of this? Is it possible or plausible to use high intensity lasers to shoot down nuclear missiles?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

It was considered in the 80's by the Reagan Adminstration. However, it didn't pan out back then. Technology back then was far from achieving the ideas the program was striving for. Plus, with the end of the Cold War support for the program completely ceased and it was never picked back up again.

We probably could apply laser technology as Nuclear counter measures now, and it'll be interesting to see if it's an idea that gains traction again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom