• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could the Next Zelda Game Do Without a Companion?

Back in the days of OoT, i thought Navi was there solely for the Z targeting to make sense but as the installments moved on and we got KoRL and Fi, the Z-targeting was just matter of fact and the companions became more story elements than anything else especially characters like KoRL who revealed his identity at the end of the game and Midna whose character was integral to the narrative for Twilight Princess. Tatl also had a story to tell with exposition on Skull Kid and his history.

Companions were something that were introduced in OoT, previous Zelda games (the 2D installments) didn't really have any but now even the latest of 2D games like PH and ST have companions,some are better than others throughout the franchise, but in a future Zelda game, 3d or not would you mind the absence of a companion? Or is the aspect of companions in Zelda games something you feel should be in every future Zelda game?

I think they are needed as they provide more stuff i guess? Well minda did, while i liked Fi...she just really restated what was just said :P but minda had a personality and always had something to say from her view. That is what we need a companion more like that at least IMHO

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think it's good for them to be there for the sole case of being capable of offering help to those that want it. I mean, I'm glad they offer importance to the plot and all, but the main thing they exist for is to help us if we want the help. I think companions should stay in the Zelda series because of this, so long as they don't force any random statements on us (I'm looking at you, Midna and Fi).

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
To be honest, I think that partner characters are integral not to the story, but the the feel of the entire series. It wouldn't feel right without one. Companions are a must-have in my opinion. Link usually just starts off as just a boy, ignorant to the world he has to venture out in. Having along a companion or a guide is a good thing in that situation. Besides, with partners comes teamwork.

I want the next companion to be like Princess Zelda from Spirit Tracks, who actually helped Link fight enemies and solve puzzles. I want another companion that does that. To me, that's a TRUE partner. As far as I'm concerned, the companion doesn't have to be integral to the story. I just want one that has a larger role in the gameplay, like Zelda did. While the next Zelda game doesn't have to have a partner just like that, I don't think it would work well without some kind of partner. Companions have become part of the series' formula. It would feel wrong to suddenly remove that aspect.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A Zelda game without a companion character at Link's side? Hmm...my opinion of this has to be thought about, and said thinking will entail my analyzing four of the 'big shot' companions: Navi, Tatl, Midna and Fi.

Navi: The story of Navi is something like this: she's a guardian fairy without someone to guardian over. Some time passes, and Link is introduced to the Kokiri Forest. More time (years) pass, and evil is brooding over Hyrule because Ganondorf. Finally, the time has come for Link to arise as the Hero of Time (well, this event takes place seven years later if you want to be politically correct), and he has need of a fairy. The Great Deku Tree assigns Navi to Link, and they go on adventuring times together.
250px-Navi_Artwork.png
A lot of the advice that Navi gives to Link, though, is seemingly irrelevant but TRUTHFULLY useful for a -new- player. People love to rag on her for telling us
Navi said:
You can open a door by standing in front of it and pressing [A]. Pay attention to what the Action Icon says. That's the blue icon at the top of the screen!
. Well, while I can see how the information would be relatively useless to a 'pro1337player' like the SDA runners, to a completely new player this information could save them from quitting the game in a torrential wave of rage and destruction, which is a good thing. In later bits of the game, Navi has been a bit less useful but her usage has still been there. For example, when rounding a corner in Dodongo's Cavern, she'll abruptly stop you from moving and tell you to Z (or L)-Target to look around the room and make sure the Blade Traps don't wipe the floor with you. Again, to a really good player, such news is probably useless since they already have the Cavern down to a science. But, to a new player (like myself when I was younger), this news is not only great but it has impeccable timing as well; with 1/4tth a heart left of health because I was bad at combat, her stopping me and telling me to be more aware of my surroundings literalyl saved me from a most shameful game over.

The points where Navi gets increasingly useless are when you face tougher enemies, and when you get to the latter half of the game (Adult season). All in all, though, I say Navi is really good as a companion for the earlier half of the game, but by the time of the latter half, she really leaves problems to Link and sort of is just there, sort of like Sheva from RE5.

Tatl: チャット(chatto) is a funny story in that her partnership with Link is based on two things: chance and her love for her little brother. While pursing the infamous Skull Kid, Link met with a terrible fate. After said event, Link tried to chase after the SK once more, but Tatl stalled him just because. Funny it was HER stalling him instead of, say, Skull Kid. From there, she approaches Link and pretty much demands his help to keep up the 'tough girl' attitude, then later falters and stylistically switches to begging him for his help so that she can be reunited with her brother, at which point Link is totally like “fairy girls, smh”.
Tatl_Artwork.png
In the earlier halves of the game, Tatl really isn't all too useful to a new player. I cite this quote from her:
Tatl said:
That's a Green Chuchu. It's nothing to be afraid of...It usually has something of use in its stomach.
Okay, that's nice. But, where's the stuff on how to vanquish this intimidating foe? Oh, that's right. Tatl really was designed in a manner that suggested the player had already previously played Ocarina of Time, which is good for those that HAVE, but what about those who have NOT? Tatl has a lot of other sassy quotes, too. I cite this one:
Tatl said:
What?! Don't you know about the Dodongo? It moves slowly, so you can circle around to its backside. Got that?
See, that is a perfect example of the game treating you as if you're a player coming in from OoT. It could also be said that it is a display of Tatl's attitude, which sure enough it is, but speaking of her as a helper character, it's quite inconsiderate to be so...rude. Overall, Tatl as a COMPANION was an oddity in that initially she's a big meanie poopoo face, but later lightens up significantly to the point of
Tatl said:
Well, both of us have gotten what we were after... So this is where you and I part ways, isn't it? You know... it was kind of fun.
I don't prefer Tatl, but she has a decent personality either way.

Midna: What can I say about Midna? Oh, I know:
Master Azure said:
Midna was a rude, obnoxious, devious, manipulating, slave-driving, cold-hearted little prick from the moment you met her.
150px-Midna.png

d'aww...she so cute. Too bad she's a *****.
All I need to say and actually CAN say about Midna is that she is the biggest jerk ever made. From day one, she cares nothing about Link. She uses and abuses him to reach whatever goals on her end that she so desires, from obtaining the Fused Shadows to grabbing all the Mirror Shards to defeat Zant. No matter what her devilish quotes may say, she doesn't express even a semblance of the gratitude that Link deserves for all that crap she put him through. If it doesn't stop there, she even mocks him whenever he is around his friends. I recall Midna saying something really buttheadish back in the scene after Link discovers Ilia in Telma's Bar. Yeah, that's just screwed up.

In the latter half of the game, Midna supposedly opens up because Zelda did the dumbest right thing: saving Midna when she was on the verge of death. But guess what? She still has rude comments from time to time, not to mention she is STILL asking Link to grab things for her. All Midna wants is to get back on her high chair, and I can tell from THIS quote:
Midna said:
Am I so beautiful that you have no words left?

Seriously, you jerk? You're gonna put me through all this crap, then flaunt your ugliness beauty in my face? Come on. Midna is a companion that definitely doesn't need to be repeated in my opinion, and I know I was exaggerating there.

Fi: I AM A ROBOT. (no picture)

So, after all that deep and serious analyzing, I think I came upon a conclusion. Perhaps Link should go solo like he did back in the good ol' days; text boxes could be used explaining things, or maybe signs that give directions a la the Kokiri Training Ground in OoT would be in place of the partner character. It'd be interesting, too, to see Link within a 3D game all by his lonesome. Could be that it makes the progression from zero to hero all that more believable, personally, and it could be used to further his personality and ingrain him deeper into the legend that is Zelda. I am by no means trying to say that partner characters are bad, that isn't necessarily true (except in the cases of Fi and Midna; the former is totally annoying and the latter is useless, IMO). I would just like to see Link by himself. Fi never seemed to me to be all too important, on a gameplay perspective she's so flippin annoying and on a plot perspective, she's really just there. Midna on the other hand, on a gameplay perspective she's useless and on a plot perspective she's the biggest jerk a man could ever have. There is one honorable mention that I haven't grazed, Princess Zelda in Spirit Tracks, but that's a story for another day and perhaps our good buddy Azure Sage could touch upon that more.

So yes, my opinion is: the next Zelda could do without a companion.

Big Octo

=^)
Sure, I could deal with a Zelda game without a companion. To cater to other players that require help, optional tutorials in the starting area may substitute. And, without another companion, it's one less random plot element to deal with.

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
Mmmmmmm, I dont know...I think the companions made things a lot more interesting for each story. I mean, I guess its worth a shot, but I really do hope the companions stay :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
What can I say about Midna? ... All I need to say and actually CAN say about Midna is that she is the biggest jerk ever made. From day one, she cares nothing about Link. She uses and abuses him to reach whatever goals on her end that she so desires, from obtaining the Fused Shadows to grabbing all the Mirror Shards to defeat Zant. No matter what her devilish quotes may say, she doesn't express even a semblance of the gratitude that Link deserves for all that crap she put him through. If it doesn't stop there, she even mocks him whenever he is around his friends. I recall Midna saying something really buttheadish back in the scene after Link discovers Ilia in Telma's Bar. Yeah, that's just screwed up.

In the latter half of the game, Midna supposedly opens up because Zelda did the dumbest right thing: saving Midna when she was on the verge of death. But guess what? She still has rude comments from time to time, not to mention she is STILL asking Link to grab things for her. All Midna wants is to get back on her high chair, and I can tell from THIS quote:

Midna said:
Am I so beautiful that you have no words left?

Seriously, you jerk? You're gonna put me through all this crap, then flaunt your ugliness beauty in my face? Come on. Midna is a companion that definitely doesn't need to be repeated in my opinion, and I know I was exaggerating there.

Midna said:
As a ruler who fled her people, I'm hardly qualified to forgive you. In our world, we've long believed that the Hero would appear as a divine beast. That's why when I found you, I thought I could use you, Link. And I only cared about returning our world to normal... I didn't care what happened to the world of light, not at all. But after witnessing the selfless lengths that Princess Zelda and you have gone to... Your sacrifices... I now know, in the bottom of my heart, that I must save this world, too. There is no other way. If we can just defeat Zant, the curse on me will dissolve, and we may be able to revive Zelda.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like someone that just wanted to "get back on her high chair". She started out as a jerk that cared only about herself, but grew into a character with one of the biggest hearts in any story ever written. Her quote about being beautiful is also just a joke. Link was staring at her speechless, so she made a little wise crack to sort of ease the tension. That's not being a jerk. That was just the writers telling us that, yes, this was the same Midna from before. I mean, she looked so drastically different that it was insanely hard to believe she was the same character. I find it hard to believe that you praise Tatl for changing ever so slightly but ignore that Midna changed drastically.

Fi: I AM A ROBOT. (no picture)

So the fact that she offered in-depth analyses on different situations and brought back enemy analysis, only more advanced, isn't important enough to be mentioned in Fi's description? Makes sense.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
He could also have an item like a libra scope, or a spell like libra , like in final fantasy which gives info about enemies, that could replace the need to have a companion for the combat side of things.

I wouldn't mind one way or the other, but it could be refreshing to switch it up by not giving him one.

Navi i felt add to the atmosphere of the game though, and was really needed. You know having a fairy following you around gave a certain feel to the game, with like fairy magic and stuff, it wouldn't have been the same with out here.

Tatl I actually liked her, she was nice enough, she was just friends with the wrong skull kid, and realized how bad he was after he left her behind, then summoned the moon to kill every one and hit her brother. She had the tough girl attitude, but she warmed up to link by the end of the game.

Ceila ? What ever from PH, I know its a 2d one, I guess she was ok, she was immature but not as rude as Tatl.

Midna, She did apologize to link at one point if i recall, but I kinda liked her as a companion even though she was basically black mailing you.

King or Red Lions, he was ok, I just hate him for making the stupidest wish possible, TWICE.

Fi, I don't have a wii, so every one says she be a robot, so she be a robot i guess.

The game could honestly be just fine with out a guide, what i really want them to bring back though is some kind of intsurment, i enjoyed the aspect of learning songs, the reason it wasn't as cool in wind waker, is cause it was... not an insturment, it was a conductors rod, and not as fun. Wind Waker should have been the Wind Flute. TP had those howl stones but thats not nearly the same. Infact you could even do something like Saria's song to call some one for advice to ask where to go next if you forget, again making a guide not needed.

I think we can do without a "companion". They could have an NPC give you some tips in the beginning.

I would like to see Scrapper return, as long as he moves faster.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I think companions in a Zelda game are pretty cool & it would feel weird to me to suddenly play without one. Each of the companions have there own personality that goes with the game. In recent Zelda games they've even had a part of the story about them. Fi is the master sword & sleeps inside for eternity, Tatl is skull kid's friend, Midna is the ruler of the Twili, & the King of Red Lions is the former King of Hyrule! Now think about if those companions didn't exist. We would have plenty of unanswered questions in all of those games. So although I don't think a companion is required, I prefer to have one.

Yes please! Oh GOD yes! I have not liked any companions in Zelda games other than the King of Red Lions. I don't like having another character with me constantly feeding me useless information in the most annoying way possible. I also don't like how hard Nintendo tries to make me care about these characters, when I inherently do not and really can not. I still maintain that if Midna hadn't stolen the whole plot-line of Twilight Princess, I may have actually enjoyed it. Without someone who I have to constantly throw my hatred at, I think that I may enjoy the next Zelda more than I ever could with a companion character. Although I wouldn't mind a companion that didn't talk. Maybe if it was just a cute little character that had no real hold on the plot-line it could work silent. Like the Luma that helps you spin in Mario Galaxy. I'm rambling at this point. So, yeah, I would prefer not to have a companion character because I think companions have prove annoying and pretty much useless in the past.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Frankly, without there being someone with you through your adventure, it doesn't feel the same, IMO, of course. In almost every Zelda game, there is someone, whether it's a mysterious old man you don't even know, a person who's not even there but talks to you through mysterious stones, or someone who hangs around in your hat for the ride, there's always someone you can rely on for advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom