• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Could the Kokiri Be the Stalchildren?

After reading http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f31/why-cant-kokiri-children-leave-deku-forest-31496.html, I remembered how the Kokiri supposedly die after leaving the Kokiri Forest. They probably don't just drop dead, and I came to a conclusion: Stalchildren are Kokiri who have attempted to leave the forest. This would explain how they are children, and how Malon would think you are a Kokiri. She obviously lives at Lon Lon Ranch, and likely had a run-in with a Kokiri on her way home. I'm not sure why they would attack Link, but everything else seems in order. Did I miss anything? Does HH say otherwise? I haven't read it.Are there any holes in my theory?

When that Kokiri boy blocking the exit said they will die if they leave the forest, I think he just meant that it was dangerous to leave the forest because of the monsters. Leaving the forest isn't a death sentance for a Kokiri, it's just dangerous, but a Kokiri can leave the forest and come back without anything happening to them.
Did Malon actualy call Link a Kokiri? I know she calls him fairy boy but I always thought it was because he was followed by a fairy. Anyways, it's an interesting theory, but I don't think there's enough evidence to proove it.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Did Malon actualy call Link a Kokiri? I know she calls him fairy boy but I always thought it was because he was followed by a fairy. Anyways, it's an interesting theory, but I don't think there's enough evidence to prove it.

She says "Fairy boy from the forest." It seems like she doesn't even know the word Kokiri but knows who they are.

It's more likely that Stalchildren are simply young Stalfos. Although Fado (a Kokiri girl) says that non-Kokiri that get lost in the Lost Woods become Stalfos. The same could happen to Kokiri who get lost elsewhere in Hyrule, but the ending sequence may prove otherwise. Probably nothing happens to them when they leave the forest and The Great Deku Tree just made it up to keep them safe live an overprotective parent exaggerating the dangers of playing outside of your neighborhood.

Fig

The Altruist
While this theory is questionable, I don't leaving the forest will kill a Kokiri. That statement was probably to keep everyone inside the forest where it's safe and the Great Deku Tree was there to protect them. It is strange how Stalchildren don't appear when playing as Adult Link. This is probably due to their possible dislike towards children. Because Adult Link is stronger than Young Link, Stalchildren could be intimidated by Adult Link's appearance and capable power. In conclusion, all of this is still speculation and can only be tested through speculation only.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
It is very highly unlikely.

If I am not mistaken, Stalchildren are simply children who got lost and died. You can only see them in child form since they only attack children. Why, I don't know.

The ending of OoT show us that Kokiri can leave the forest, two of them prove this. Saria and Mida both are out of the forest and seem pretty normal; it's hard to tell about Saria considering she is a sage.

The Deku Tree just gives Kokiri life and a safe haven where they can live protected and young forever. They don't let Kokiri out because of their innocent minds..which would get owned by Stalchildren.

Stalfos are most likely grown Stalchildren corrupted by Ganondorf's dark magic. Skull Kids are kids (not only Kokiris) that get lost in the Lost Forest. Lostception.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think, and I've said this too in the thread you quoted, that stalchildren are the reason the kokiri can't leave; they attack children and kokiri kids are defenceless (Link had a sword and shield so he obviously wasn't defenceless). I think maybe it's because kids are vulnerable and maybe afraid of the dark that they only appear to child Link and not adult Link.

* Also, Malon and other Hylians know about the Kokiri. People can enter the forest, Link's mother obviously did it's just that the Kokiri aren't supposed to leavee.:yes:

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
Actually, people aren't supposed to enter the forest either. The only reason Link's mother was able to is because she was calling for help and the Deku Tree let her in, and the only reason Link was allowed to stay is because his mother gave herself up for him and was turned into a tree. I've always thought that the Kokiri truly couldn't leave the forest for whatever reason, not just because it was dangerous. And on the subject of the lost woods, Fado says that Kokiri who get lost become stalfos, so therefore regular kids who get lost are the skull kids (I think someone says that somewhere anyway).

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Fado says that Kokiri who get lost become stalfos, so therefore regular kids who get lost are the skull kids (I think someone says that somewhere anyway).

I thought fairyless kids who get lost turn to skull kids but only when lost in the Lost Woods. When the guy who leaves the poachers saw disappeared he became a stalfos because he was an adult. I believe that's what Fado says. Also, if you z-target a skull kid when you're a kid, Navi says 'is this what happens to kids who get lost in the forest?'

I am starting to wonder if there was ever even a complex story behind the Stalchildren to begin with, especially seeing as how their called "Stalbabies" (Sutaru bebi[sup]?[/sup], スタルベビー) in the Japanese version. If anything, the meaning behind this enemy's name might have to do with its "rank" so to speak in the hierarchy of enemies that carry the -stal suffix (e.g. Stalfos, Stalhound, Staltroop, etc.)

If there is, however, a story behind this enemy's name, it might revolve around the death of children. More specifically, children whose bodies have decayed after they have died; said bodies would then be reanimated (perhaps by dark magic), similar to the concept of zombies. The fact that they appear solely at night might attest to this fact. Although there could very well be some obscure Eastern-based theme behind their origin as well...

ws7c4j.jpg

Giant Stalchild (from OoT)​
At any rate... Something odd to consider is that after defeating - I believe - 11 or so Stalchildren in Hyrule Field, the 12[sup]th[/sup] one - a much larger Stalchild - appears to take on Link. This process can be repeated until each 12[sup]th[/sup] Stalchild to appear is gargantuan in size - much like Captain Keeta in Majora's Mask. What I find peculiar about this attack pattern is that it reminds me of a gang of children (as featured in novels like Oliver Twist) that runs and tattles to their "leader," who then returns to exact revenge on those who have shamed them. Just putting this out there... (tee hee hee)

Kokiri who leave the forest do not die. AS evidenced by the fact that we see them very clearly in the end credits celebrating at Lon Lon Ranch.
I believe that the Deku Tree actually created this "curse," just to make sure the Kokiri were safe. And when the Deku Tree died, the "curse" was lifteed, but the Kokiri didn't know it.
MikauIncarnate said:
The only reason Link's mother was able to is because she was calling for help and the Deku Tree let her in, and the only reason Link was allowed to stay is because his mother gave herself up for him and was turned into a tree.
Where are you getting this information from?
Where are you getting this information from?
This is the story the Deku Tree Sprout tells you (summarized).

Last edited:
"Some time ago, before the King of Hyrule unified this country, there was a fierce war in our world. One day, to escape from the fires of the war, a Hylian mother and her baby boy entered this forbidden forest. The mother was gravely injured... Her only choice was to entrust the child to the Deku Tree, the guardian spirit of the forest. The Deku Tree could sense that this was a child of destiny, whose fate would affect the entire world, so he took him into the forest. After the mother passed away, the baby was raised as a Kokiri. And now, finally, the day of destiny has come!" — Deku Tree Sprout (Ocarina of Time)

"You are a Hylian, and were always bound to leave this forest. And now... You have learned your own destiny... So you know what you must do... That's right... You must save the land of Hyrule! Now, Link, break the curses on all of the Temples, and return peace to Hyrule!!" — Deku Tree Sprout (Ocarina of Time)

Where does it say that Link's mom was turned into a tree? And where does said tree appear in the game? On the topic of the Stalchildren, honestly, I don't think there's more to it than the fact that they are skeletons that have been reanimated (like zombies in a way). They may very well be children, like their name implies, but nothing confirms that they are remnants of deceased Kokiri children who have left the forest. Heck, aside from the line that allegedly hints at a supposed "curse", there's nothing to even suggest that the Stalchildren are the of Kokiri origin.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
In my mind, the two most possible options as to what they are come down to one question. (Of course, there are many other opinions and I'm not trying to offend anyone who doesn't think one of these).

Is turning into a Stalfos some property of the Lost Woods or something about being lost and wandering on forever without knowing where you're going?

If you think that it's a property of the Lost Woods, then it would makes sense that Hylian children that get lost in the Lost Woods turn into Stalchildren, since the adults turn into Stalfos. They wandered until they were only skeletons before finding their way back to Hyrule Field, where they stayed because that is their home. They might attack Link because they are angry with him for not helping them or saving them (when he is an adult, he has the Triforce of Courage, which is why they don't attack him then).

Then you could think that it is a property of being lost. This is my opinion. If Hylians are lost in the lost woods, wouldn't it make sense that Kokiri are lost in Hyrule Field? When they are at Lon Lon Ranch, they don't look lost in any sense of the word. They were introduced to the rest of Hyrule by the other races and welcomed there, as opposed to being lost, alone, and desperately trying to find the way back to their sanctuary. Also, it may have to do with the fact that Saria has joined the other sages and the rest of Hyrule, and so saved the Kokiri from being lost in all other places, but I think this last idea is pretty far-fetched.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom