• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could Nintendo use more Space/Futuristic Sci-fi IPs?

With Starfox U apparently being released this year and a high chance we'll see Metroid U at E3 next month, I've been wondering if Nintendo could use more space (or at least futuristic) Sci-Fi IPs.

Nintendo do treat Their Sci-Fi IPs terribly, F-Zero has a large following but we havent seen a fresh game in twelve years, Nintendo hasnt developed a Metroid game in-house since Super Metroid on the SNES and Starfox hasn't had a decent (or in-house) installment since the N64...

But these are three of the most cherished titles Nintendo have and, for the most part, they're incredible games. Nintendo do space/futuristic sci-fi games well... so do you think it'd hurt them to have another one?

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I don't think it'd hurt them at all to make a new Sci-fi IP. They don't have much else new going on in that area, so why not? I think it'd also be good for them to try and make some memorable characters from a Sci-fi IP that people would see and immediately think of Nintendo.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Its got all the ips it needs. It just needs to do something with them

Exactly. It's great to see new IPs if there's a lack of them in the first place, but Nintendo has the most IPs of any company. Yet, most of them are dormant. Obviously Metroid and StarFox would fill that genre quite nicely. However, Sin and Punishment could be brought back (but PLEASE not as a rail-shooter) and also be part of that genre.

I've mentioned in a video before: Nintendo has an IP for every possible genre you can think of. The issue is making the games.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
you know,i'd much rather they bring out a couple titles for their current sci-fi franchises rather than making another one they'll probably neglect
at the very least,making an new star fox is a good sign,so how bout that f-zero

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I don't think a lack of Sci-Fi IPs is Nintendo's current issue, and it's not something I'd personally like to see. I mean, I'd love a great futuristic title, but I don't think Nintendo is the company who would make it how I'd want it.

Nintendo should buy the Jet Force Gemini IP from what's left of Rare and use that. Also we can say Nintendo already has a Sci Fi IP. Star Fox.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
They've already released one recently, in Japan, incisively entitled Xenoblade Chronicles X. Emphasized hefty amounts of science fiction and, heh, real life struggles, the battle takes place on the foreign planet Mira teeming with undiscovered wildlife in addition to alien life. Pretty much everyone here is likely familiar with that summary by now, but it's the perfect game for Wii U owners who happen to love sci-fi/open world escapdes.

Hopefully there'll be a release date for the other regions, amongst other goodie info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom