• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Could M+ Have Been Better Utilized?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
So, I thought the M+ controls worked pretty well. They were accurate, and you got used to them with practice. I also enjoyed how easy it was to adjust an inaccurate pointer that had been messes up by the Gust Bellows. They were even so accurate I could play the whole game sitting down. I am wondering thought; could they have been put to better use? I mean the combat and locks worked well, but couldn't their have been superior uses? You could have actually strummed the Goddess Harp, or you could have actually been able to direct your shield in combat. What other uses could have been done, and are they feasible?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If you stripped M+ from swimming, the harp, and the Loftwing I think things would be best.

Also, I believe that the problem isn't necessarily WM+ but what it affects. The foes you face in the game are so basic, it's like playing against a controller-user with a mouse/keyboard; there's basically no contest. I think foes should've had so many more layers of depth and weapon control to them instead of the basic eight directions. Weak af ya dig.

Also also, it isn't that WM+ was utilized poorly (bar the areas I listed above), it's that WM+ was shoe-horned into every single concept in the game. There's no reason why we controlled something as insignificant as the bird with motion controls. That's lolworthy :I

Last edited:

DarkLink17

Well then
Yeah, I thought the WM+ controls were actually TOO utilized in many aspects of the game. Bug catching felt awkward, the bow was a little sensitive, the harp was frustrating enough, and some other things could have been better off with buttons instead.
On the good side, some things utilized the M+ controls very well. This includes certain puzzles, complexity of boss fights (using various sword-slicing angles), skydiving, and the maneuvering of some items.

The motion controls were implemented enough for me in SS, some were awkward and others quite enjoyable.
I. Could. Not. Stab. For. The. Life. Of. Me. Which made situations involving enemies that required a sword stab a living Inferno. And the sword swinging wasn't perfect, for it registered your quick movements to move the angle of your sword as a swipe, got a little off center at times, etc. Motion controls will always have gimmicks and imperfections.
That being said, Nintendo did do alright though. I loved the flight mechanics and swordplay (even with the flaws). It was a good shot at motion controls and proved, with tweaking, what they could be when done right. Are they the way of the future? Eh... I don't think so, but they could be interesting now and then. Like Ventus said, the enemies need more depth in combat. Sometimes their blocking and movement was just... cheesy, to say the least.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
It could have been used better, sure. Did it need to be used better? No.

I will admit that the M+ is not perfect, but it is really good for what it does. Sword slashing? Makes sense. Bow? Makes sense. Harp? Makes sense. The only thing about the M+ that I did not like is the fact that you couldn't control the shield. The shield bashes were often unresponsive for me, so it would have been nice if we were able to put our shield into a position that could defend from the attack, at the price of damage to the shield.

I suppose they could have controlled the Loftwing differently, since tilting the controller up and down can be awkward, especially if you play sitting down like I generally do. But other than that, I don't really see anything else in the game that M+ should not have been used for. The Beetle was fun to control, I thought, and same with Skydiving.

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
They didn't work very well, for me. I had to keep re-calibrating it because was always veering off to the side and often it just disappeared altogether. I think it was a little too sensitive, and they may have overused it, but in any case, it was a fun addition to the game. It (almost) made it feel like you were in the game......almost - had there not been any *shouts louder so Nintendo can hear and correct their mistakes* DIFFICULTIES AND I COULD USE MY BOW. Ya, it was painful watching me use my bow. I feel like it should have been easy, but it just.... wasn't for me. M+ was kind of annoying, because it was hard to control and I never got used to it (I played through SS twice). Sometimes it was worse than others, but other times it was really fun, which often made up for it being bad. I'm not saying that they couldn't build on it and make it better, but it was good. I'm not sure if I just bought a certain crappy remote of if all of them are like that, but for me it was hard to use. Jus' sayinnnn 8888DDDD

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I agree with most in that there was too much WM+ in SS. As I've previously stated, I can take when something has a gimmick, especially Zelda games, but SS went too far. I felt I was playing "Let's demonstrate what the WM+ plus could do!" instead of a Legend of Zelda game. Whereas other Zelda games felt like a gimick cover with a Zelda core, SS felt like NIntendo wrapped Zelda around the WM+. Now I like that Nintendo is advancing in motion controls, I really do. I just think the priorities were mixed in SS.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Why all the hate on SS's controls yet again?! So many people just look at SS's controls as a gimmick-fest, whereas I see a game that was clearly made with the Wii's control scheme in mind instead of just a regular game contorted to accommodate it like the vast majority of Wii games. Almost everything you do in the game is done with the control scheme in mind and makes sense given the situation, so I don't get the hangup on it.

...though I will admit swimming was awkward and could have been done better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom