• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could Hyrule Be the Future Instead of the Past?

Adam

Undefeated
i would say that because of the general geographical placement of Lanayru/Gerudo/lake hylias of the Zelda series, it seems clear that it could be based on Egyptian culture because its west of the rest of the land, in OoT Gerudo was not actually part of the Hyrule Kingdom (i think) and Egypt is west of Japan irl. So i mean maybe they are taking a stance that egypt was this super power in ancient times in our world, so why not make our desert areas kinda mysterious (Ikana canyon in termina was most mysterious, even though it was east of the land, you could say they flipped it bc MM was such a weird upside down kinda game lol) im spitting out alot of ideas here, but i think the original post has a point, but it really doesnt matter one way or another. somewhere miyamoto decided that the desert areas would be the weird ones, and until we get a reason its just speculation.

I gathered immediately that Duelmark is pondering the possiblity that the Hyrule we're all familiar with is, perhaps, a land that was born after the fall of some technologically advanced society in a manner similar to (for lack of an easier immediate comparison to my addled mind) "Planet of the Apes". The advanced technology sporadically seen throughout the games is his inspiration for this theory. It's an idea that's flitted through my mind a couple times as well.

It's simply fan theory, and as relavent as most of the other nebulous fan-theory that goes on in our minds (Tingle is totally the Hero's Shade by the way). Duelmark was simply asking if anyone else has had the same ponderings, presumably in an attempt to create a dialogue. A lecture in the relativity of history isn't what he's asking for, as it's a simple concept, and one I'm sure he understands quite freely despite his ambiguous terminology. I detected a little authoritarian hostility in some of the replies to him, and I don't think it's warrented.
Right, but his evidence in suggesting so was Skyward Sword's technology, which is already confirmed to be evidence of a previous civilization. Because of that, I assumed that couldn't be what he's referring to. Either way, his OP was fairly unclear and he indicated in his last post that he intended something different than you're describing.

His fan theory may be valid, but I disagree with it. A moderator disagreeing with something doesn't equal authoritarian, or hostile. Moderators disagree with things, discuss them, and/or try to disprove them like everyone else.

i would say that because of the general geographical placement of Lanayru/Gerudo/lake hylias of the Zelda series, it seems clear that it could be based on Egyptian culture because its west of the rest of the land, in OoT Gerudo was not actually part of the Hyrule Kingdom (i think) and Egypt is west of Japan irl. So i mean maybe they are taking a stance that egypt was this super power in ancient times in our world, so why not make our desert areas kinda mysterious (Ikana canyon in termina was most mysterious, even though it was east of the land, you could say they flipped it bc MM was such a weird upside down kinda game lol) im spitting out alot of ideas here, but i think the original post has a point, but it really doesnt matter one way or another. somewhere miyamoto decided that the desert areas would be the weird ones, and until we get a reason its just speculation.
I kinda doubt they intentionally based the location of Gerudo Desert on Ejypt. Not really the reason why I doubt it, but, the Gerudo culture doesn't even resemble Ejypt. Though I will say it's an interesting thought. What do you mean by the desert areas being the weird ones though? Isn't Lanayru Desert the only one so far that's been strange?

S

SS,OoT,WW,TP

This theory has to be fact, the only tech we see in other zelda games is gunpowder and steam engines.

Right, but his evidence in suggesting so was Skyward Sword's technology, which is already confirmed to be evidence of a previous civilization. Because of that, I assumed that couldn't be what he's referring to. Either way, his OP was fairly unclear and he indicated in his last post that he intended something different than you're describing.

His fan theory may be valid, but I disagree with it. A moderator disagreeing with something doesn't equal authoritarian, or hostile. Moderators disagree with things, discuss them, and/or try to disprove them like everyone else.

I kinda doubt they intentionally based the location of Gerudo Desert on Ejypt. Not really the reason why I doubt it, but, the Gerudo culture doesn't even resemble Ejypt. Though I will say it's an interesting thought. What do you mean by the desert areas being the weird ones though? Isn't Lanayru Desert the only one so far that's been strange?

Okay, um, I'm more or less saying what Clearly is saying I'm saying. And yes I do feel this way about many posts. That being said, I have nothing against people proving me wrong, I'm fine with that, however, your arguments aren't hurting my feelings, they just render me confused as though we are talking about 2 different things.
The sole reason I made this theory was simply because of the tech in Skyward Sword. True, we've seen technology before, but I considered those examples more plausible in terms of what was available and magic, from coal powers trains to cranes using magic crystals for magnets. The robots in Skyward Sword though, are a stretch. The only way I see sentient machines existing in this world is, as I said, Hyrule takes places thousands of years after the end of our civilizations and we return to a medieval setting. Or they could have been built by another race, one smarter than the humans, or they aren't robots at all, but spirits using metallic bodies.

Adam

Undefeated
I kinda doubt they intentionally based the location of Gerudo Desert on Egypt. Not really the reason why I doubt it, but, the Gerudo culture doesn't even resemble Egypt. Though I will say it's an interesting thought. What do you mean by the desert areas being the weird ones though? Isn't Lanayru Desert the only one so far that's been strange?

i had just kinda accepted that since from Japans perspective the middle east is actually west, then it may translate in game to whatever tribe or culture is in the western part of the land. and i believe thats been the case in almost every zelda game (except MM if youre saying Ikana canyon is relevant to this). yes it was a generalization and i should know better being the theorist i am, but i was at work and had to walk someone through an OS install over the phone lol so i just kinda sped up my response.

i will also note that i have seen this in many other JRPGs where the desert was western and overly mysterious

Okay, um, I'm more or less saying what Clearly is saying I'm saying.

Apparently you're mistaken. His OP was completely understandable, at least to me, though a little grammatically dubious. Upon a re-read of the thread I also noticed that one of the other posters began to assert that DuelMark believed Hyrule to be in some way connected to 'the real world', which he at no point claimed; but it was after that bizarre (and utterly incorrect) assertion that the posting changed in tone, as though that false interpretation was indeed what DuelMark had implied.

His fan theory may be valid, but I disagree with it.

Kudos. However, I admit a little confusion over how you can at once claim the irrelevancy of a theory due to historical relativity, but at the same time acknowledge it as relevant enough to forcefully disagree with. Curious thing that, though between you and me: I might be having a little cheeky fun with you now.

Again, his postulating is simply summed up as "I wonder if in the time before Hyrule as we know it (including Skyward Sword), the people of the land lived in a technologically advanced society." The confusion seems to circulate around his misuse of 'past' and 'future'. It's also an interesting idea to play around with, and even a route Nintendo could feasibly take should they continue to create games backwards in the timeline and want to shake things up a bit (though perhaps that's merely my professional experience with the Creative Pitch process). I'm not sure I'd like a more science'y Zelda Game, but y'know, WindWaker taught me to keep an open mind.

A moderator disagreeing with something doesn't equal authoritarian, or hostile.

I forgot you were a moderator, and I'll add that I hadn't even singled anyone out; but regardless, you're correct: disagreeing with something doesn't equal authoritarian, or hostile. Tone does. To defend that point, I originally read this thread idly, and with no investment of ego; but still I found the tone increasingly unwarranted. Perhaps, 'authoritarian hostility' was too strong a phrase, as you felt I was implying 'moderator'. "Patronizingly snarky" may have been closer to the mark.

And yes I do feel this way about many posts.

Indeed, I wasn't alone, as DuelMark himself interpreted the tone of some posts in the same way. Thankfully however, he was mature enough not to be offended, nor as loud-mouthed as I, to object.

Moderators disagree with things, discuss them, and/or try to disprove them like everyone else.

Of course they do. Indeed, I enjoy your videos and articles, as we share many of the same ideas; however, I think I enjoy your ideas the most when I disagree with them. So, don't stop on my account.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom