• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could a Nintendocon actually work

Blizzard Entertainment do not do E3. Blizzard Entertainment does it's own convention called Blizzcon. Lots of people go to it and it is a success every year. Could Nintendo do the same, (maybe leave E3) and just ahve their own 1-2 day convention called Nintendocon.

Nintendocon could have the following:
  • New games and information
  • Stations for demos so people can play them
  • Special areas set up for various world experiences. Like a Super Mario Room or a LoZ room or whatever.
  • An expanded version of the Nintendo World Championships. Not like the NWC we had recently. I mean like have competitive games like Splatoon and others have online leaderboards and the best of the best in game and at local tourmanents would compete at Nintendocon as their world finals. The Pokemon world finals too could be at Ninrendocon
  • Get in a live act for soem music or whatever
  • Cosplay competition
  • Merchandise shop
  • Opportunities for 3rd party developers to specifically talk and share their Nintendo plans
  • Nintendo could set the Nintendocon date when they wanted each year (roughly around the same time but not always the same date). This kind of flexibility is always nice.
  • Meet and greet some of the Nintendo greats
  • And even more.

What do you think?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Nintendocon would be brilliant. I wonder if they'd have to change the location every year so more people could come, or if they'd have it in stupid California every year.

But if there's one thing that is still true, is that Nintendo fans are extremely loyal and would probably eat something like that up, especially if they have things like NWCs in different categories. I think that would be incredible.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
If Blizzcon weren't a thing, I'd say that there'd be only two companies with a fanbase big enough to do this
Disney and Nintendo
Disney already has D23
Who's ready for N64?

I would expect a Nintendocon to have a virtual ticket. So we can see all of the keynote speeches, NWC finals and other things live too. Cause not everyone can be there in person.
Blizzcon has a virtual ticket and it works relatively well. Either you watch live or you watch the videos hosted online for a few months. Nintendo could easily do the same.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Problem are:
-NO GAEMZ
-LOL WE KIDDY NOW
-NEW Super Mario Bros tier Mario games instead of SM64 tier Mario games

like good lord. Nintendo needs to fix itself, otherwise I can only see disaster in a Nintcon.

Reactions: Dan

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Honestly, if Nintendocon existed, I'd probably be totally down to attend it. I can see it being a massive success, but as has been mentioned, there are some things Nintendo really has to fix before it would work.

Djinn

and Tonic
They would have to up their game to releasing a lot more of..everything. More games, more minigames, more addons, and then things like more merch, and eveything else one gets and hears about at a con. They need events, news, playable demos, and basically things to attract more than just dedicated fans.

This is something they might have been able to pull off back when they were giant in the mid 90's or so. But they have downsized considerably since then.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Not anymore, no. Not when they neglect their long running franchises into nonexistence. As Djinn said, it would have worked twenty years ago, but not anymore.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I don't think current console software droughts would affect a convention.

Think about what @the8thark said: you have the Nintendo World Championships. That doesn't require a strong upcoming lineup of software. There could also be competitive gaming championships for Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, Splatoon, and Pokken. Those games are already out and they have a strong and dedicated following.

Then, there's all the merch they could pawn: shirts, key-chains, hats, amiibo and other figurines, backpacks, coffee mugs, etc..

Then there's cosplay, and as well all know, people go all out with that.

The convention wouldn't have to be upcoming games and stuff like that. There could be a section for that, but it could be all kinds of other stuff, and still be a roaring success.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
They would have to up their game to releasing a lot more of..everything. More games, more minigames, more addons, and then things like more merch, and eveything else one gets and hears about at a con. They need events, news, playable demos, and basically things to attract more than just dedicated fans.

This is something they might have been able to pull off back when they were giant in the mid 90's or so. But they have downsized considerably since then.
Problem are:
-NO GAEMZ
-LOL WE KIDDY NOW
-NEW Super Mario Bros tier Mario games instead of SM64 tier Mario games

like good lord. Nintendo needs to fix itself, otherwise I can only see disaster in a Nintcon.

We are forgetting that
A. The 3DS still has tons of games releasing for it
B. Nintendo 2014 existed
C. The likely reason we aren't getting games on Wii U is because of NX. Many Wii U games, such as whatever Retro has in store, were likely set back to NX. This is proven by Kimishima saying that he wants NX owners to constantly have something to new to play.

However, I do agree that Nintendo has been a marketing disaster lately. That's probably because there is nothing for Wii U until the NX releases. So how do you make that exciting? You can't really mention NX too much because it hasn't been unveiled yet, you have nothing for Wii U so what do you even talk about in the market?

I guess we will see at the Tokyo Game Show though, what the NX is, so perhaps, current Nintendo could make a lot more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom