• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could a linear, cinematic story work in BotW2?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
And could it be good, great, fantastic or would it bomb hard?

The first thing we've seen about this sequel has been a cutscene. It hints at story and world-building. Should Nintendo decide to ditch the non-linear, almost lore-based, freeform narrative approach of BotW and go for something more like Twilight Princess or The Wind Waker? Nintendo is hardly known for their cinematic stories, but could BotW2 work with, say, a story structure like Twilight Princess (with a rich backstory and a colorful cast) ?

I'd prefer them to go the TP route and have a linear progression.

Linear progression affords scripted scenes that can better tell a story than cutscenes scattered around an overworld that you find out of order.

I think linearity has become a bad word in the modern climate which is a shame. I'd rather have a good story and slowly discover a world rather than being hit over the head with everything immediately and being told to find my own way.

I would really like for BotW2 to be BotW1's flipside in terms of story and narrative and lore. I'd like some emotional weight to the narrative and some interesting lore that helps ground BotW's cherry picked references.

Quin

Disaster Master
No, it can't. Not after BOTW and the giant success it had. the backlash the game got is minuscule compared to how many people love it. The game would probably still be great but a ****load of people were getting tired of the old formula, especially with SS. Now is not the time to bring it back.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
If they went that route, it wouldn't be a Breath of the Wild sequel anymore. It would just be another entry in the aging Zelda "formula".

The cast and story of BotW was a million times as memorable as Twilight Princess. Aside from that it would be insane for Nintendo to immediately go back to the conventions whose absence is exactly what made BotW such a game-changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom