• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cool plot ideas For The Next game

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
What do you think would be a cool new plot for the next Zelda game and why?

I'd love to hear what you think!

latest

karu

Panamaniac
Hmmm... I'd love to see a game where Ganondork isn't the main antagonist. There are some games like but they still somehow included Ganon; I want him completely out of the picture, no mention of him whatsoever.

Also, I'd be interesting if like half way, or somewhere later, through Link's adventure in the game to find out that his companion is actually the main antagonist and that the person they thought was the antagonist is really supposed to be Link's companion but the real antagonist cursed them/controlled them/gave them something to mess with their mentality.

So then when his true companion joins him it's all weird and awkward because 'you tried to kill me you doosh!' "I wasn't myself, let it go!' and then at the very end they achieve the level of companionship we see in every Zelda game and defeat the true antagonist!

Also, I know the triforce is a huge part of any Zelda game, as well as the demon king of all dorks, but I'd like it if the triforce wasn't why Link has to go through an adventure, but I also don't want it to be because someone told him so/friend got kidnapped. Maybe something along the line of MJ; saving the town in general.

I don't know, I think it's too complicated but I'd love a game like that

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Ganondorf is my favorite character. I love everything about him, and I'd love to see more of brilliantness. Ganon, however is one of my least characters, and I'd like him out of the picture entirely.

Now, one of the reasons I like Ganondorf is because he is not overused (He is only really in 3 games), so I on't want him to start showing up everywhere, but I think one more appearance by him would be great!

karu

Panamaniac
Ganondorf is my favorite character. I love everything about him, and I'd love to see more of brilliantness. Ganon, however is one of my least characters, and I'd like him out of the picture entirely.

Now, one of the reasons I like Ganondorf is because he is not overused (He is only really in 3 games), so I on't want him to start showing up everywhere, but I think one more appearance by him would be great!
Sometimes I forget that Ganon and Ganondorf are completely different personas. But yeah, no Ganon I'm so sick of him being the main antagonist

At least three factions of villains are finding pieces of the Triforce of Power. The dungeons are their strongholds. Depending on the order, the last boss before Ganon will have a secondary form. The factions would be the Yiga, a group of fanatical Hylians who are essentially the third reich or the KKK, and monsters tamed by a former knight.

The Yiga are a more serious a threat than in Breath of the Wild, with Yiga ninjas and Samurai as high ranking warriors/mini-bosses. They are a group of anarchists out to destroy the royal family. They are based in the Faron Region. Bosses: A chameleon humanoid, Gohma and the current head of the clan. If he's the penultimate bosses, he turns into a large bat creature.

The fanatical Hylians believe all non-Hylian races cause problems. Led by a former head of Hyrule's sanctuaries, he became convinced non-Hylians must die, setting to have his rather fanatical son marry into royalty through force. They utilize magic with some minor technology to do battle. Most of the foot soldiers are mini-guardians and Armos. They are based in the Lanayru Region. Bosses: A sentient armor, a light based bird, the fanatical leader. If he's the penultimate boss, he turns into a large wolf beast.

The last faction is random monsters led by a former knight who seeks to conquer Hyrule. His army is most reptile and fire based. They are based in the Eldin Region. Bosses: A lava golem, a three-headed Dodongo and the knight. If he's the penultimate boss, he turns into a large Tyrannosaurus-like dragon.

I posted this on these forums a long time ago. In 2013 on my 2nd day of being on these forums. It's a long-ish read but I think it's a cool idea for a plot for the nextmain Zelda game.

The Story:

In the intro prologue video you have Hyrule in peace. Everyone living their lives happy. Even the mysterious disappearance of the King's daughter princess Zelda was eventually forgotten by a majority of the people. And everything was calm and well. But one day all of a sudden the King died. Mysteriously. And there was no heir to the throne. This sparked a civil war as to see which faction would have it's leader assume the throne.

And the game proper starts with Link (I guess adult Link) being given his conscription letter. The faction that controls his part of greater Hyrule called him to help fight in the civil war. So Link as a good citizen goes off to help in the war. With his sword (basic sword) and shield and usual green clothes. He's on the front line infantry next to other people of the Hylian race. With the cavalry (on horseback) and archers behind. The other side (opposing faction) is made up roughly the same. Then after a while the command is given to charge, and both sides charge. After 2 minutes or so of fighting, a mysterious figure (not gannondorf but the game's end boss) appears right in the centre of the battle knocks back everyone with a sphere of magic and just laughs. Gives everyone on the battle field a message something like "you puny Hyrule people, I will take over this land and you allow ill obey me of I'll crush the lot of you." Then this figure disappears.

This event basically stops the battle. And both faction leaders agree to put their differences aside and find a way to defeat this new being then after that restart the civil war. And Link is tasked (by his faction leader) to be the forward scout, to work who or what that mysterious figure is, and do and defeat it.

After all of this Link pretty much can run around anywhere now. And has to complete dungeons like every other Zelda game eventually reach the mysterious final boss (the mysterious being mentioned above) and beat him.

The races/factions
In this game each different race or faction (same thing in this game) are fighting to rule over all of greater Hyrule. The factions are:
The Hylians (of which Link is a part). Their home town is Kakariko village. Hyrule town only has a few people left in it who do not want to fight.
The Gorons. Their home town is in the desert/mountain area.
The Zoras. Their home town is on Lake Hylia.
The Gerudos. Their home town is in the Forest area.

The Dungeons
My idea of these is that each one would serve as an anchor point in time. (yes I know time has been used a lot in the Zelda serious but this representation of it would be different). Link would in the first dungeon get an item or spell (which one of these 2 I will discuss later) to look into (or have a vision of) the sacred/Light realm and shadow/dark realm. This is an important part of the game. When Link looks into the Sacred realm he sees Princess Zelda. And she is trying to escape back to Hyrule. The player gets to control Zelda in these segments and Zelda has to accomplish mini dungeons. Not attacking any enemies as such, more using her intelligence and magic to talk to the sages there and other beings and to conquer puzzles. Nearing the end of the game Zelda will find the triforce of wisdom which will allow her to return to Hyrule.

There will be other points in dungeons where you can use the same above mentioned item or spell to look into (or have a vision of) the dark realm. Gannondorf is there trapped. In eternal torment. And in these sequences the player controls Gannondorf. Basically these sequences are Gannondorf remembering his battles with Link and the player re-enacts them but this time you play as Gannondorf and not Link. Each time you look into the dark realm and have a fight as Gannondorf you don't always beat Link. Most of the time it'd end up with a heated draw. Gannondorf is searching for the triforce of power to allow him to return to Hyrule. And conquer it as usual.

These visions (for lack of a better word) will effect Link and his progress in the dungeons, I'm not 100% sure how though.

Spells and Magic
You could have the game done like every other Zelda game (apart from Zelda 2) with items collected to beat the game. But I was thinking of a possible idea that brought the Zelda 2 idea of magic spells into the modern 3D Zelda games. Nintendo did say they want to re-think the conventions of Zelda games with Zelda WiiU and this got me thinking. How about a Zelda game based on magic spells? It worked in Zelda 2 (was not very popular though) So I'll make a new version of this.

In the Secred realm visions You control Zelda. And at the end of each sequence you free someone. Could be a sage or an old man or I don't know, someone. The freed person travels to Hyrule. Link eventually meets up with these freed people. I am undecided if I want Link to meet up with them (spell giving NPCs) in dungeons or outside in Hyrule. But when he does, he is given a spell he can use on his journey.

I would guess only one spell can be used at one time. So when you use a timed spell and you cast another before the first runs out, the 2nd one replaces the first and has a new full duration. You would assign a spell to a button. And pressing that button would cast the spell. And for the timed spells the button would grey out if the same spell is in effect. Basically meaning you can't recast the same spell within the same 2 minutes. That would be pointless as it'd just waste magic. Also once the spell timer is up and the spell wears off the button on screen would flash and make a noise to say I'm ready to be recast again because the spell has worn off. Also the spell button would be greyed out if there is insufficient magic to cast that particular spell. Also I would probably say for the spell and thunder spell you need to be targeting something, be it an object or enemy to be able to cast the spell.

I see the spells working like this. Link has a magic metre and each spell costs an amount of magic to cast. Different amounts for each sell. And each spell has a different effect. Possible spells could include:
Fire - For two minutes all arrows are fire arrows
Ice - For two minutes all arrows are ice arrows
Light - For two minutes all arrows are light arrows
Reflect - Links shield can reflect most projectiles and light for two minutes
Shield - Link takes 50% less damage for two minutes
Water Walk - Link can walk on water for two minutes
Underwater Breathing - Link can breathe under water for two minutes
Gravity - Link walks on the ceiling for two minutes
Spell - Has different effects depending on the situation (used to progress the storyline mostly)
Thunder - A loud boom is heard then whatever link is currently targeting is damaged for a high amount. This spell would have a high magic cost and would be needed to activate one or two bosses in the game. (Think Thunderbird of Zelda 2 style).
Power - Link can lift heavy rocks and other things for two minutes. (A potential use for this is Link needing to lift a heavy weapon to beat a boss or other enemy with. This is apart from all the obvious rock listing in the game). Another option for this spell is Link finds power gloves in the game to lift heavy objects and when Gannondorf escapes the dark realm and returns to Hyrule he gives this spell to Link so he can lift even heavier objects for two minutes. This would be needed in some way to beat the game. I will explain later on how Gannondorf would come to be helping Link.
Teleport/warp - This spell could have many names but it works just like any other warp spell/melody on other Zelda games. Can only cast it in certain places and I would say it has a zero magic cost.
Sword - This is just a wild idea. I am not sure I even like it. Soon before the final dungeon/battle (think similar time to Ocarina light arrows) once Zelda is back in Hyrule, she grants Link the sword spell. This enhances Link's sword for two minutes making it more powerful and the sword powered up with this spell would be the only way to kill the final boss in the game. Sure you'd need other items to make the final boss vulnerable to the powered up sword of cause.

Life - I am not sure about this spell if it should be in the game. I was thinking, that one option is to have no red or blue potions in the game, only green ones and you have to use the Life spell to restore health. (I am aware Zelda 2 featured blue and red bottles/potions so maybe this game could do the same and have a blue potion heal half your magic and red being rarer/more expensive but a full magic refill) I do not know and it's up for debate.
Basically two options here:
1. red/blue/green potions like every other Zelda game and no Life spell.
2. red/blue potions only (working as they worked in Zelda 2) and have the Life spell in the game

I can't think of any more potential spells for the game. And not all of these spells would be in the game I am just giving ideas on spell possibilities.

Great Faries
These would bestow the following potential effects on Link
- Copy Ocarina and have the first Great Fairy grant Link the special spin slash and the initial short magic metre. This fairy would also give Link the ability to use the magic words/spells. But does not actually give Link any to use. (I say words as in Zelda 2 the old men who give Link the spells refer to them as words)
- Spells with a duration last 2x as long
- Magic Metre is 2x as long (or in other words doubled) (Below I'll explain an alternate idea to this)
- Spells with a timer now have an infinite duration. (This Great Fairy would be only accessible just before the end of the game. Similar to the Great Fairy in Ocarina that link needed the golden gauntlets to access). Timed spells never run out but to swap to another timed spell you have to cast the new spell and that still has the usual spell cost.

Some of the items in the game

- Heart pieces and containers - Just like every other Zelda game.

- Magic bottles/containers. (Think Zelda 2 magic containers that increased the max magic) This might or might not be in the game. I see two options for this.
1. Have a great fairy just double the magic metre and not have any magic bottles in the game.
2. Have the initial fairy that grants Link a short magic bar early on. And after that Link has to search out magic containers/bottles like in Zelda 2 that increase your max magic level. For those who have not played Zelda 2, think of heart containers, instead of starting with some at the begin of the game as with hearts you start with some magic from the first great fairy then jsut like heart containers/pieces you have to collect magic containers to increase your max magic. Possibly you could have the magic containers come only from dungeon boss defeats (like heart containers do in most Zelda games) just for something different. Or they could just be found around Hyrule and we keep the standard heart container from a dungeon boss. Both options I think are viable.

- An item used to cast the spells. Most Zelda games have an instrument (conductor's baton classed as an instrument for this example) that are used for the games main melodies/spells. But in this game I don't see a need for a specific instrument and melodies. I am sure someone could add in one and make it work and I'd like to hear that. But I can't think of one. So maybe the instrument can be replaced by this item you need to cast the spells.
- Bottles. They exist and can carry a wide assortment of items. Unsure if the potions they hold will be red/green/blue or only blue/red (Zelda 2 style) though.

- Sword. You would start off with a standard sword (standard Hylian army issue one, he is an army conscript remember). And half way through the game you'd get an upgraded sword. You could have it as the pull the sword from the stone to get the master sword. As great as that was in Zelda 3 and Ocarina, I felt it was really not good in Wind Waker. It felt like it was just there in WW because a Zelda game had to have it. Majora's Mask didn't have it and it worked well. So I am undecided here. You can have the master sword in or have it not in and have another sword in the game.
As I am writing this I just had another idea:
You can have the Master Sword in the game. But you do not pull it from the stone. When you are in a vision of the dark realm and are being Ganondorf and fighting Link, Ganondorf knocks the master sword from Link's hands and Gannondorf uses his power to escape the dark realm. He fails because Link interrupts him. This interruption actually makes Link's master sword sucked out of the dark realm and into Hyrule and Link (Hyrule Link, not dark realm vision Link) finds it and uses it for the rest of the game.

Another idea is to do the sword upgrade like Majoras mask or Skyward Sword and have Link upgrade the sword with materials at a blacksmith. Unlike SS though there is not a ton of upgrades and no upgrade called master sword.

- Shield. Starts off with a basic shield (standard Hylian army issue wood one, he is an army conscript remember). Soon though eh can buy a metal one which is better. And much later on he finds a magic shield. This shield is a little larger and more importantly Link can use the reflect spell on it.
- Bow and Arrow. Gotten before the fire/ice/light spells obviously.
- Power gloves. Used to lift heavy weapons, rocks and other things in the game. If these are in the game Ganondorf would give Link the power spell to power these up even more (think Gold gauntlets of Ocarina but instead of new gauntlets, you get a gauntlet power up spell instead.)
- Bombs. The same as almost every other Zelda game.
- Ancient Book. Maybe you can have ancient Hylian script in the game that Link needs the book to translate. Not a fan of this one but I'll put it out there to see what you all think of it.
- Triforce. All 3 parts are in this game. Zelda searches for Wisdom to escape the sacred realm. And Ganondorf uses Power to escape the dark realm. Link eventually finds Courage through his travels.
- Hookshot. This is some form can be in the game too.

Outside dungeon experiences
This game basically has Hyrule set up into a few parts. You have Castle Hyrule and Hyrule town mostly deserted. The town is not in ruins, just everyone who is not part of one of the civil war factions is there still. This would be a minority. The Castle though is on lockdown. Basically totally deserted of people and locked up because the King is dead and there is no one to rule the kingdom. I am not going to have the game's main boss end up in Hyrule castle and Link has to go in there to beat him. That is an option but it feels such an Ocarina copy. And I want to make this game somewhat different. But if anyone likes that idea please let me know below.

The Goron/Zora/Gerudo/Hylians (moved to Kakariko village) areas would all be set up as base camps because each race/faction wants to rule hyrule. And each faction is hostile to the other. Link in his side quests would be playing a sort of mediator between the factions to get them to play nicer to each other.

Hyrule Field is unlike any other Zelda game. It's set up as a very large battle ground. Mostly deserted like in other Zelda games apart from a few large scale battles scripted into the game. Travelling through there one would really feel the sense that battles have been fought here and will also be fought here in the future. Lon Lon Ranch has relocated itself to the other side of Kakariko village. Being in the middle of a battle ground was a bad idea.

The graveyard is 3x as large as it is in Ocarina. Basically it is where all the dead from the civil war are buried. Ghosts of the dead soldiers (from different races) would play a part in the game in some capacity. Yes all the different races/factions hate each other but they still bury their dead all in the same graveyard.

I am not so sure where the main dungeons would exist. If anyone has ideas on this feel free to share them.

If the old wise men who give the spells to Link are not in the dungeons then they are all over the world and after freed from the sacred realm by Zelda one by one, Link has to find them one by one to get the spells from them. And part of the game is working out where they are and getting to them. Some would be captured by opposite race factions, some would be in the centre of their own race/faction's town. Some would be in random out of the way places. etc etc. Basically all over the place.

Raids would happen. Scripted in parts of the game. These are one faction going out to raid another faction's town. Short sequences and Link has to help defend that town from the enemy. This is more a sub/mini game then part of the main story. But it helps to keep the always on edge atmosphere of the NPCs in the game there.

The end of the game
During the second last dungeon in a dark realm vision Gannondorf beats Link and escapes to Hyrule. (Beats but does not kill). After this dungeon, Link walks back to the hyrule field battlefield, and sees Ganondorf there from a distance and is about to charge him to attack. But before he can do this the game's boss (as seen in the beginning of the game) appears and picks a battle with Ganondorf. Link just watches this, you do not control Ganondorf here. Ganondorf gets his but kicked. And just before it can kill Ganondorf Link rushes in and tries to attack the boss thing. The boss just knocks Link away and laughs then disappears. Gannondorf surprised that Link saved his life bestows the Power (for the power gloves) spell on him so Link can cast it then Ganondorf walks away.

During the last main dungeon in a sacred realm vision Zelda finds the triforce of wisdom and escapes to Hyrule. After beating the dungeon Link meets up with Zelda and Zelda gives him the Sword Spell. By now Link has the Triforce of courage. (exactly how he gets it I am not sure yet). Zelda tells Link he has to beat this last boss to free Hyrule. And that she is the rightful heir to the throne which will unite all the factions. She says she'll help Link do this.

So this basically means only one thing, hit the end game dungeon and beat the last boss. At the final dungeon door Zelda is there and she comes along. Basically this dungeon is a beat the dungeon and protect Zelda type thing. Link and Zelda get to the last boss but is beaten there by Ganondorf. Those two are in a fight which Ganondorf is losing again. Ganonforf gets knocked away and while on the ground mumbles something about uniting the triforce to beat the boss. Zelda understands completely and takes out her triforce part. Link and Ganondorf do the same. And the triforce unites itself powers up and blasts the boss hard. This weakens the boss but does not kill it. Then Link can go beat the weakened boss. Link does this with the help of the power and sword spells. Link's final blow does not kill it, just weakens it further, but by that time the game is won. Ganondorf and Zelda use their power to suck the boss into the dark realm. The boss struggles and ends up taking Ganondorf with it into the dark realm. Ganondorf does not return to hyrule in this game. The end video and credits run. Zelda is proclaimed Queen of Hyrule and unites all the factions who throw a party in her honour.

My final words
This is all I can think of/remember about my idea for a new Zelda game. I understand there are many holes in this explanation. if anyone wants to add their opinion to this I'd be grateful. Thanks and hope you enjoy it.

I do have another idea which I will share now.

You are Link. And you are drafted into the Hylian army as a conscript. You're the rookie private. There has been a war ongoing in Hyrule but for the past few years there has been relative peace. Link is on a routine trainnig session when his squad it attacked by random creatures and killed. Link only barely survives. Link realises his squad was not the target. Two sides were fighting each other and Link's squad were just the collateral damage caught in the crossfire. Over the follwoing months the fighting gets stronger and stronger. As if two sides are using Hyrule as a nutral land to stage their war.

Link goes to investigate this and after a few dungeons he realises this is a war between the dark realm and the sacred realm. The Dark realm is ruled by Ganondorf and the Sacred realm is ruled by Zelda. Both are sending their troops to Hyrule in the belief that conquering it will help them defeat the other realm. Link realises that he can't stop this war while stuck on Hyrule and he needs to enter both realms to do it. However it's not as simple as entering the Dark realm and destroying Ganon. Because in this game both the Dark and Sacred realms are the enemy of Hyrule because both don't care about the collateral damage done to Hyrule. This makes Link feel really mad. Link obviously can't enter both realms but he can communicate with them He is the courage part after all. Zelda is the wisdom and Ganondorf is the power bit. In the dungeons and other places there are places Link can contact the other two realms. Doing this he realises both realms are in chaos. Both ravaged by war. Both realms have tons of troops from the opposing realm causing chaos. Both realms have to be restored to order so the balance can be restored and Hyrule saved. To this end the other realm communication devices actually directly communicate with Zelda in the sacred realm and Ganondorf in the Dark realm. You actually play as Zelda and Ganondorf in their respective realms to help clean out their realms and return them to order.

At the end of the game you get a choice. You can play as one of the 3 playable characters, Link, Zelda or Ganondorf. The final parts of the game change depending on who you choose.
Zelda - You travel to the Dark realm as Zelda and fight Ganondorf. Zelda wins and seals Ganondorf away. All the fighting stops in Hyrule. Victory, but it's a hollow victory. With no reason to fave faith because there's nothing bad for prayer to fix, the people of Hyrule totally forget about Link, Zelda and Ganondorf and the Legend of Zelda is no more because a legend not retold over and over is a dead legend.
Ganondorf - You see Zelda enter the Dark realm is one final push to prevent the Dark forces from entering the Sacred realm. A fight ensues and it spills over into the Sacred realm where both Zelda and Ganonford keep fighting. Ganondorf the first (and major battle) wins but is wounded in the second (jsut for the story) battle and is about to be sealed away, however Ganondorf has one fonal trick up his sleeve. He uses his power to ensure that Zelda is sealed along with Ganoondorf in the Dark realm. With both sealed way, there is nothing anyone can do to stop both realm's forces spilling into Hyrule. Hyrule is mostly destroyed ni the process. The few survivors (Link included) escape for a new land.
Link - Link can't enter either realm but at the end of the game he gains the ability to bring both Ganondorf and Zelda to Hyrule. Link does this during the time Ganondorf and Zelda are fighting in the Dark realm. Both Ganondorf and Zelda are annoy4ed by this and both try to kill Link. Link has to fight both at once. Link wins with a little help from the old trininy of gods that everyone has forgotten about and kicks Ganondorf and Zelda back to their respective realms. He seals the gateways to Hyrule. Hyrule is saved and peace reigns . . . for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom